PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock n or schneider apo 180?

Former Member 8144
9-Jan-2007, 03:33
I have read lots of debate around the different 180mm lenses and given the money would buy the rodenstock sironar s 180mm.

However I have the choice between:

Rodenstock sironar N MC F 5.6 180mm

or

Schneider Apo-Symmar MC F 5.6

Thanks.

Ted Harris
9-Jan-2007, 05:14
Flip a coin ... I have tested both the 150 and 210 versions of these lenses side-by-side and it was absolutely impossible to tell any diference in performance at all on black and white negatives. You might notice some subtle, very subtle, color differences.

Christopher Perez
9-Jan-2007, 09:46
Exactly what Ted says.

I have used many different 180mm lenses and am currently using a Nikon 180 W f/5.6 in mint condition that I picked up for $290USD.

Previously I had an extremely sharp Schneider Symmar-S (single coated) f/5.6 that kept up with it's multi-coated brothers.

I also have used several Bausch and Lomb Series V Protar f/18 183mm lenses. The Coated version (built during the 1940's) kept up with Glorious Modern Wonder Optics just find. Even shot into the sun. Paid $95USD in Supermatic shutter.

Just to give you additional options... that is... :) :)

Oh, and if you don't believe me, come on by. I have a few negs you can personally inspect at 160x magnification. :) :)

Flip a coin ... I have tested both the 150 and 210 versions of these lenses side-by-side and it was absolutely impossible to tell any difference in performance at all on black and white negatives. You might notice some subtle, very subtle, color differences.

Former Member 8144
9-Jan-2007, 11:49
Thanks guys.

Marc

Joseph O'Neil
10-Jan-2007, 06:11
I have older versions of the Rodenstock 180mm and a Schenider 180mm. cannot tell the difference between them at all. one sits on my monorail, one with my field camera. I love the size, and coverage for 4x5 on either lens is generous as they are meant for 5x7 coverage, if memory serves me correctly.

Get the one that is in the best shape or best shutter or best price - or - and this might be important - the one that matches the filters you already have. Lenses are sometimes cheap compared to having to buy a whole new set of B+W filters. :(

joe

neil poulsen
10-Jan-2007, 12:41
The 180mm is my choice. It was my first lens. 210mm is just a bit long for me.

neil poulsen
10-Jan-2007, 12:42
Have the Apo Schneiders been susceptible to the Schneideritis scourge at all? Has anyone seen evidence of that?