PDA

View Full Version : The Prime Directive?

Ed K.
4-Jan-2007, 19:18
So many things happen while out making the street photography rounds. Often, at least a moment goes to contemplation of the scene.

Tonight, I found a dollar on the pavement, apparently overlooked by many others, as there was no sign of anyone nearby. It was a bit out of the normal view.

What would you do?

1. Pocket it!
2. Photograph it
3. Just ignore it. Leave it there.
4. Bring it to the police or any nearby authority
5. Find and homeless person and give it to them?
6. Wonder about the person who dropped it?
7. Prop it up in a slightly more conspicuous place, and
then let somebody else enjoy it, or otherwise, allow
the wind to continue it on its journey?
8. Post a silly note on the LF page about it, to see
what other photogs would do when out in the
field.
9. Hide yourself, and then get a long lens set up to
photograph others who might find it or ignore it?
10. Something else.

While I favored 2-3, above, I did 7 & 8. So, uh, I did
interfere in the landscape, but I couldn't resist the
thought of having someone else have the surprise of it.
I wedged it between a pipe and a wall in plain site just
above where it was on the pavement. Silly of me not
to think of 9 at the time though.

What would you do? How do you behave when out
photographing in the big city? While waiting for the
light or the situation to ripen, do you think of the other
non-subject elements, "help" the situation to happen
by manipulating it? Would you take a dollar that does
not belong to you?

Hmmm. Ooops - time to pull the film from the wash...

Capocheny
4-Jan-2007, 21:12
So many things happen while out making the street photography rounds. Often, at least a moment goes to contemplation of the scene.

Tonight, I found a dollar on the pavement, apparently overlooked by many others, as there was no sign of anyone nearby. It was a bit out of the normal view.

What would you do?

1. Pocket it!
2. Photograph it
3. Just ignore it. Leave it there.
4. Bring it to the police or any nearby authority
5. Find and homeless person and give it to them?
6. Wonder about the person who dropped it?
7. Prop it up in a slightly more conspicuous place, and
then let somebody else enjoy it, or otherwise, allow
the wind to continue it on its journey?
8. Post a silly note on the LF page about it, to see
what other photogs would do when out in the
field.
9. Hide yourself, and then get a long lens set up to
photograph others who might find it or ignore it?
10. Something else.

While I favored 2-3, above, I did 7 & 8. So, uh, I did
interfere in the landscape, but I couldn't resist the
thought of having someone else have the surprise of it.
I wedged it between a pipe and a wall in plain site just
above where it was on the pavement. Silly of me not
to think of 9 at the time though.

What would you do? How do you behave when out
photographing in the big city? While waiting for the
light or the situation to ripen, do you think of the other
non-subject elements, "help" the situation to happen
by manipulating it? Would you take a dollar that does
not belong to you?

Hmmm. Ooops - time to pull the film from the wash...

Ed,

DEFINITELY 5 and definitely NOT 8! :)

Cheers

Eric James
4-Jan-2007, 21:14
He's talking about a dollar US, HDC:)

Vick Vickery
4-Jan-2007, 21:19
Whatsamatter with y'all...you do 2, then 1, then 8, then go buy a cheap cuppa coffee!

Kirk Gittings
4-Jan-2007, 21:30
then go buy a cheap cuppa coffee!

What kind of a cup of even cheap coffee can you get for a buck these days? That is the tip at Starbucks.

roteague
4-Jan-2007, 21:40
Funny, I found a $5 bill on the way home from work today, it was on the side of the road, next to a line of bushes. I know what will pay for coffee tomorrow morning at Starbucks. ;)

Greg Lockrey
4-Jan-2007, 21:42
It's mine ;)

roteague
4-Jan-2007, 21:46
It's mine ;)

Come and get it :D It's in Hawaii :cool:

Capocheny
4-Jan-2007, 22:13
He's talking about a dollar US, HDC:)

Hi Eric,

Hope you had a great holiday season! :)

Yup, I know it's only a buckeroo... but to a hungry, homeless person it's still like a small lottery!

And, if a homeless person found a US buckeroo up here... it's worth $1.12 to him! :)

Cheers

Greg Lockrey
4-Jan-2007, 22:19

Great!! I'm just across the street. :D

walter23
5-Jan-2007, 00:05
I'd just pick it up and probably forget about it within moments. It's just a dollar.

A 50 or a 100 on the other hand, I'd pick that up and think about it for like 20 minutes.

Bill_1856
5-Jan-2007, 07:01

They still use dollars in Hawaii? I thought it was all Yen.

Ralph Barker
5-Jan-2007, 08:07
Under #10, Something Else, one might consider attaching a bit of fishing line, and then hide around the corner. When someone bends over to pick it up, just pull the line. That's even more fun than gluing it to the pavement. ;)

darr
5-Jan-2007, 09:10
As a teen I once worked at a pizza joint. The boss was from Sicily (this was in Jersey), and he was always complaining that American girls did not know how good they had it since he would give them a job and they could "make lots of money." One day I watched him show a newbie how to make a "gooda tip". After the couple he served pizza left the joint, he promptly declared he earned a "gooda tip of $1.00". The only problem was, when he slid it out from under the cup, there was only half of a dollar.

There are many things you could do with that dollar Ed!

--

I would 2, 5, then 6 ;)

Gary J. McCutcheon
5-Jan-2007, 09:27
I had this happen recently only I found $18 scattered down the walkway in a park. I had just been to the site of a new sculpture installation and was on the way back to the studio pondering how to photograph it. I picked up the money and also a receipt from a nearby grocery store. The receipt had the customers name on it and then I remembered an elderly gentleman who rides a large tricycle pass by the sculpture site. I also remember him having a grocery bag. Anyway, I looked the name from the receipt up in the phone book and called. He peddled over to the studio within 10 minutes and retrieved his lost change. Also turned out he was a retired Methodist minister on a fixed income. He was very grateful. If the receipt had not been there I'm not sure what I would have done. Maybe by my receptionist lunch?

Jack Flesher
5-Jan-2007, 10:04
2, 1 then 10.

roteague
5-Jan-2007, 10:24
They still use dollars in Hawaii? I thought it was all Yen.

You would get that impression, if you went into Waikiki. :cool:

Pat Kearns
5-Jan-2007, 11:43
"In God We Trust" is printed on the back of the dollar. In a way, He sent you a descreet message letting you know He hasn't forgotten you. I used to not really think too much about when I ran across money on the ground but now I stop and say a little prayer thanking God for my life, family, friends, and all other good blessings I have been blessed with. So, I say thanks and I won't forget Him as well.:)

Robert Brummitt
5-Jan-2007, 15:00
And I thought this was a Star Trek question.
I'd pocket the dollar knowing full well that my kids would go through my pockets, find the dollar and keep it for themselves. It's that trickle down economics.

Eric Leppanen
5-Jan-2007, 15:22
Maybe the local TV station news crew or some struggling reality show staged the whole thing and surreptitiously taped your every move. Good thing you didn't pocket the money, otherwise you might have been confronted around the corner by an indignant TV reporter (or, even worse, Erik Estrada) carping about the soulless greed in our morally bankrupt society. They probably would have been thrown by the LF forum posting thing, though...

Terence McDonagh
5-Jan-2007, 17:00
What kind of a cup of even cheap coffee can you get for a buck these days? That is the tip at Starbucks.

All the street vendors on the way to my office have a coffee and buttered roll (try ordering a buttered roll for breakfast outside of the northeast . . . ) for $1. And they seem to do a booming business.

Alan Davenport
5-Jan-2007, 22:15
Never mind 2. First 1, then 10. Let's be real.

Robert Hughes
17-Jan-2007, 10:45
I'm told that Bill Gates makes money so fast it's not worth his time to lean over and pick up a $20 bill.

tim atherton
17-Jan-2007, 10:53
I'm told that Bill Gates makes money so fast it's not worth his time to lean over and pick up a $20 bill.

actually, I think it's about $1000 - last time this wass done he apparently made about $100 a second or somthing...

http://www.templetons.com/brad/billg.html

Marko
17-Jan-2007, 11:50
Hey, it's nothing compared to the rate the other Gates is spending it in Iraq.

The last figure I've seen trown about in the media was about $6 billion a month. That comes down to $2315 (rounded to the nearest dollar) per second.

Assuming a 30-day month and the same four seconds needed to pick the bill up as the author of that calculations used, it would mean that by picking up a $1000, this Gates would save additional $8660. That, in turn represents a combined gain of almost $10 grand.

Perhaps we should arrange to have Bill Gates walk ahead of Robert Gates and toss the money he earns down so that Robert could pick them up and give $2,000 back to Bill.

That way we, as tax payers whose money it is, would realize a net gain of $3.5 billion a month compared to the current expenditure and Bill Gates would double his money.

Say we turn half of that money back to tax payers in form of another tax break, just think how much the economy would stand to gain, form all that money being thrown back into the consumption circle!

:D

roteague
17-Jan-2007, 12:27
Perhaps we should arrange to have Bill Gates walk ahead of Robert Gates and toss

Or, perhaps we could leave the political discussions in the lounge.

Doug Dolde
17-Jan-2007, 13:29
I found $20 in a parking area at the Grand Canyon....not a moments hesitation to pocket it....and keep it under the visor in my car for good luck and emergencies.

Marko
17-Jan-2007, 14:03
Or, perhaps we could leave the political discussions in the lounge.

Hey, it was just a joke, I surely didn't want to start another of those fights over digital!

:D