PDA

View Full Version : Buying Paper in Rolls vs Sheets

Hugh Sakols
3-Jan-2007, 18:31
I'm ready to order more inkjet paper for my Epson 4800 (Ilford Smooth Pearl). I have only been using sheet paper, the largest being 17x22. I'm contemplating purchasing it in a 100ft roll instead of sheets. Is there really any reason to stay with sheet paper? I understand that I will get some curl when I first print. How long does it take for the curl to disappear? Any insight would be appreciated.

Greg Lockrey
3-Jan-2007, 19:19
Roll paper is usually cheaper. The curl can be pressed out.

Ted Harris
4-Jan-2007, 07:13
I use rolls all the time. Getting the curl out is just a matter of a few days at most and usually hours. Much more convenient to work with.

eric black
16-Jan-2007, 07:50
I use rolls and find that the curl disappears in the time it takes to allow the print to dry which I typically do under the weight of a piece of gator-board mat board with a piece of acid free tissue to protect the print and absorb ink-solvent. Much cheaper that way.

Kirk Gittings
16-Jan-2007, 09:23
I use rolls and find that the curl disappears in the time it takes to allow the print to dry which I typically do under the weight of a piece of gator-board mat board with a piece of acid free tissue to protect the print and absorb ink-solvent. Much cheaper that way.

Man, mine takes much longer than that, depending on the paper. I made a "reverse curl" drying tube for mine out of 2' x 4" PVC and artists canvas. I attach one end of the canvas with glue to the PVC and roll the prints up in it against the curl. Overnight does the trick.