PDA

View Full Version : View Camera - Looking for Submissions

steve simmons
3-Jan-2007, 12:21
View Camera is looking for submissions in the following categories

portraiture and figure
black and white architecture
still life/table top

We are also looking for submissions from lf photographers whoe work has not been published in any other national publication.

thanks

steve simmons

Bruce Watson
3-Jan-2007, 12:38
Submission guidelines?

Kirk Gittings
3-Jan-2007, 12:44
Steve,

Have you ever done Gabriel Basilico? http://www.fineartphotography-online.com/artphotogallery/photographers/gabriele_basilico_01.html

Eric Biggerstaff
3-Jan-2007, 12:48
Kirk,

One of my favorites for sure and a great suggestion!

Eric

steve simmons
3-Jan-2007, 12:57
Basilico's work is very nice but I could not get into the site to try and contact him.

Submission guidleines are on our web page

www.viewcamera.com

thanks guys
steve

Kirk Gittings
3-Jan-2007, 13:15
Does anyone know of a way to contact Basilico directly? A web search turned up little of use.

Eric Biggerstaff
3-Jan-2007, 13:55
I have a message in the the host of the Fine Art site that you linked to Kirk.

tim atherton
3-Jan-2007, 14:23
Chris Jordan had dinner with him in Milan...?

John Flavell
3-Jan-2007, 23:28
Sorry, I can't submit to any publication that's better than newsprint.

Gustavo
10-Jan-2007, 10:18
Steve I will like to put my name on the hat !
the bulk of my prints are done with alternative processes
gcastilla.com is my site or Google "Gustavo Castilla"

Jim Noel
10-Jan-2007, 15:06
Steve I will like to put my name on the hat !
the bulk of my prints are done with alternative processes
gcastilla.com is my site or Google "Gustavo Castilla"

Gustavo might be a good first article in a series of APUG members. He certainly appears to have a wealth of information and some rather nice images on his web site.

steve simmons
10-Jan-2007, 16:01
I was not able to get your site to come up. I got a message

could not find server.

or

unknown host

BTW, our submission guidelines are on our web site

steve simmons

chris jordan
10-Jan-2007, 17:42
"portraiture and figure
black and white architecture
still life/table top"

Steve, I'm bummed to see you looking for more work on the same old tired subjects. There is so much amazing LF work being done these days, and some of it by the guys right here on our forum. Check out Adrian Tyler's work, or PaulR, or Tim Atherton, Marco in Milano, Struan Grey, jeez you could fill up six months worth of magazines just with their work, and it would be six months of interesting, beautiful, captivating images.

I realize you have to give the subscribing masses what they want, but you also can push the envelope a little-- teach them something new about what is being done with the LF medium today instead of flogging the same old calla lilies and barns that were already dead horses 50 years ago.

Just my $0.00000002 for the day...

steve simmons
10-Jan-2007, 17:45
Thanks Chris. Tim has already contacted me and I would be happy to hear from the others as well.

steve

Ken Lee
11-Jan-2007, 05:31
the same old calla lilies and barns that were already dead horses 50 years ago.

Classic subjects are hard to do well, since others have already done so.

I'm not a writer, but I can imagine how daunting it might be, to write a novel in this day and age. As I recall, Brahms waited a long time before publishing his first symphonies, because he felt small compared to Beethoven. Even so, the symphony itself, was never really a dead horse.

roteague
11-Jan-2007, 10:58
Thanks Chris. Tim has already contacted me and I would be happy to hear from the others as well.

steve

Personally, I would love to see you do more landscapes - I can't remember when the last one you did was. I do remember when you did an article on Jack Dykinga - that was one of my favorites. But, I know, a lot of people consider landscapes "old hat".

Sal Santamaura
11-Jan-2007, 11:02
...But, I know, a lot of people consider landscapes "old hat".I suspect fewer people than you think consider landscapes "old hat." I don't. There are likely more people in the "art" world who do than there are in Steve's audience.

Brian Vuillemenot
11-Jan-2007, 11:12
Yes, more landscapes please, and more color- it seems like VC is mostly black and white lately. Also, how about publishing some of Per Volquartz's work?

Ted Harris
11-Jan-2007, 11:18
Stay tuned for the March-April issue where the theme will be (at the request of folks here) classic cameras, classic lenses, classic processes. I am working with some half a dozen photographers who use all sorts of interesting classical printing processes (e.g. wet plate, ambrotype, photogravure, etc.) and there will be many of their images in the magazine along with explanatory material on some of the classic cameras and lenses they use. Off the top of my head I know that we will be including the work of at least three familiar faces here on the Forum. Oh yeah, some of the images are definitely not run of the mill landscapes :D.

Also (sound trumpets here) we are in the early planning stages of a new annual edition that will come out at the end of 2007 or January 2008 and will feature the work of new photographers, it will be all images with a few pages of thumbnails at the back describing tech details (a la the old Photo annuals from many mags.) Stay tuned for more on this and send and email to me or Steve if you have work you want to have included. The definition of 'new photographer' is a bit loose at the moment but, basically, the goal is to provide exposure for those who have not had work published in a 'mainstream' magazine, published a book, etc. More on this later.

roteague
11-Jan-2007, 12:32
I suspect fewer people than you think consider landscapes "old hat." I don't. There are likely more people in the "art" world who do than there are in Steve's audience.

I would like to think so. Personally, I love the grand landscapes, and in brilliant color. Yes, there were good articles on David Muench, and I've read one on Jack Dykinga as well - but there are so many others, that will probably never be in the magazine. Like Joe Cornish, Ken Duncan, Andris Apse, to name a few - granted, these are probably not well known within the US.

I accept that Steve can't please all his readers. One reason I buy the magazine off the shelf rather than subscribe is that lately I've found the issues to be boring. I really don't care about alt processes, Pyro developers or old lenses. More color and more landscapes.

roteague
11-Jan-2007, 12:33
Oh yeah, some of the images are definitely not run of the mill landscapes :D.

What do you consider "run of the mill" landscapes?

steve simmons
11-Jan-2007, 15:14
I would like to thank everyone for their comments. It will take awhile to balance out the wishes of such a variety of people but we will work on it.

How about interestes fr equipment reviews, how-to articles, etc.?

thanks

steve

David Karp
11-Jan-2007, 15:17
Equipment reviews are great. Kerry is outstanding at it. I think that a good review for most equipment deserves a page, like the one he did on the Eastman Commercial View. Less than that and the review becomes extremely superficial, and if that is all that is available, then I think I would pass on the review.

Capocheny
23-Jan-2007, 00:56
Also, how about publishing some of Per Volquartz's work?

Hi Brian,

Excellent idea! :)

Cheers

BradS
23-Jan-2007, 18:19
Stay tuned for the March-April issue where the theme will be (at the request of folks here) classic cameras, classic lenses, classic processes. I am working with some half a dozen photographers who use all sorts of interesting classical printing processes (e.g. wet plate, ambrotype, photogravure, etc.) and there will be many of their images in the magazine along with explanatory material on some of the classic cameras and lenses they use. Off the top of my head I know that we will be including the work of at least three familiar faces here on the Forum. Oh yeah, some of the images are definitely not run of the mill landscapes :D.

Also (sound trumpets here) we are in the early planning stages of a new annual edition that will come out at the end of 2007 or January 2008 and will feature the work of new photographers, it will be all images with a few pages of thumbnails at the back describing tech details (a la the old Photo annuals from many mags.) Stay tuned for more on this and send and email to me or Steve if you have work you want to have included. The definition of 'new photographer' is a bit loose at the moment but, basically, the goal is to provide exposure for those who have not had work published in a 'mainstream' magazine, published a book, etc. More on this later.

Classic printing processes...I'd love to see an article on Kerik and his Wet Plate Collodian work. Really amazing stuff to behold.

Dave_B
23-Jan-2007, 19:54
Steve:
Two western photographers I admire in addition to Jack D. are Tom Till and John Fielder. If you are going to feature western landscape photography, they are among the best currently doing it. I don't know how hard it will be to get some of their work into View Camera but the results would be worth the effort.
Cheers,
Dave B.

steve simmons
23-Jan-2007, 20:12
We did John Fielder about 4 years ago.

thanks

steve

Dave_B
23-Jan-2007, 20:27
Steve:
Thanks for the information. That was before my time.
Cheers,
Dave B.

roteague
23-Jan-2007, 20:35
We did John Fielder about 4 years ago.

thanks

steve

Have you ever done Joe Cornish, from the UK?

steve simmons
24-Jan-2007, 08:31
Kerik will be in the next issue. No, we have not done Joe Cornish. How do we contact him?

thanks

steve

matthew blais
24-Jan-2007, 09:22
Yes, more landscapes please, and more color- it seems like VC is mostly black and white lately. Also, how about publishing some of Per Volquartz's work?

Excellent idea Brian. I think it would be a worthy accolade, and could coincide with Per's book and 30 year retrospective show in Denmark later this year.

And overall I'd rather see works by "new" or off the "main name" list. Lots of worthy candidates out there.

steve simmons
24-Jan-2007, 09:24
Per has agreed to send samples for review.

steve simmons

matthew blais
24-Jan-2007, 10:18
Per has agreed to send samples for review.

steve simmons

Cool...

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2007, 10:24
Per is a great idea. He has done some amazing images.

roteague
24-Jan-2007, 10:41
Kerik will be in the next issue. No, we have not done Joe Cornish. How do we contact him?

thanks

steve

Sorry, I don't know how to contact him directly. I know that Baxter Bradford, over on APUG, knows him quite well, he also does numerious workshops for Light & Land.

Here is is website: http://www.joecornish.com/

He is probably the top landscape photographer in the UK, shooting an Ebony 4x5. His work isn't as well know here in the US, but one of his books has made it into print here. The US title is "Light and the Art of Landscape Photography"

roteague
24-Jan-2007, 10:45
Per is a great idea. He has done some amazing images.

Yes, and he is a great fellow to be around. Very knowledgeable and always willing to share his knowledge.

alec4444
29-Jan-2007, 07:46
Classic printing processes...I'd love to see an article on Kerik and his Wet Plate Collodian work. Really amazing stuff to behold.

Just catching up on this thread....ditto for me on the classic/alt printing processes. Actually, I think there's enough of them (if you include combinations) to have one new story/how-to every issue for several issues. That would most certainly captivate my interest, plus they would be issues I would want to keep on hand.

Cheers!
--A

Jeff Morfit
30-Jan-2007, 06:54
How about more articles for gearheads? Photos of things like steel mills, grain elevators, rolling mills, railroad facilities, trains, etc.

Jeff Morfit
30-Jan-2007, 14:54
Does table top include table dancers? LOL Sorry, been one of those days at work.

BradS
7-Mar-2007, 13:58
Steve,
Here's a challenge for you...get an interview with Roark Johnson. I'd love to read more details about his Stranger a Day (http://roarkjohnson.blogs.com/photos/stranger_a_day/) project. You might be able to get ahold of him by email...there's an address on the page linked above.

Brad.

Ted Harris
7-Mar-2007, 14:26
Hmmmm ... could be interesting and I like his Chicago Chefs series even more. However, I do get the impression that the vast majority of his work is MF.

tom north
10-Apr-2007, 14:51
Steve,

Are you still accepting submissions for architectural work?

Thanks

Tom North

steve simmons
10-Apr-2007, 15:10
We are always happy to review work. Our submission guidelines are on our web page

thanks

steve

Mattg
21-Apr-2007, 21:58
Hi Steve,
one thing your guidlines don't mention is whether you are able to accept submissions made using 6x9cm equipment.

Regards, Matt.

steve simmons
22-Apr-2007, 06:25
yes 6x9 is fine, we can take 6x8 or larger or smaller if the camera has movements

thanks

steve

bmosse
25-May-2007, 18:41
I'll be happy to feature my Bodyworks project. This unique project shows how View Cameras are ideal for capturing motion, a rare application of the View Camera. No mirror lockup, no curtain shutter lag, no film advance makes the View Camera an ideal instrument. Most important, no viewfinder, View Camera Photographers see their subjects with both eyes in three dimensions.

http://http://arcaimaging.com/page6.html

http://arcaimaging.com/images/bodyworks/firebird02.jpg

jnantz
25-May-2007, 18:52
yes 6x9 is fine, we can take 6x8 or larger or smaller if the camera has movements

thanks

steve

steve

do you accept submissions from graflex slr cameras ?
the cameras do not have movements, but they
are large format and it doesen't say anything on the website
about the specifics of cameras ...

thanks
john

steve simmons
25-May-2007, 19:42

yes

steve

jnantz
25-May-2007, 21:57

yes

steve

thanks!

john