PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot Artar lenses

Turner Reich
1-Jan-2007, 17:42
I have 16 1/2" Artar in a shutter and a 16 1/2" Artar in a barrel. Can the barrel be used as an enlarging lens? I head somewhere that a pair of like lenses make great taking and enlarging. The 16 1/2" is a common Goerz lens, what is the largest format that you have used it for?

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2007, 21:44
What format are you shooting and how long of a column does your enlarger have?

If your barrel lens is f/11, I think it would be way too dim for focusing your enlarger, but ymmv of course.

IMHO, a 16-1/2" Artar would be a super lens on a 8x10. If they're in good condition you've got a real treasure!

Turner Reich
2-Jan-2007, 00:01
Shooting 8x10, and both are f9.5 which indeed would be too dim for enlargement. Both lenses are in great condition, no scratches, clear and clean. I got a lucky buy with the barrel and paid a little more than I wanted for the one with an Ilex shutter but well worth it for the condition. I think I will enjoy using them. I have a 360 Schneider Componon for enlarging.

erie patsellis
7-Jan-2007, 10:57
T-R,
Get yourself a packard (or use a dark slide, hat, etc.) and try shooting with the 360 componon, it may never see the enlarger again....

erie

John Cahill
7-Jan-2007, 22:01
Be careful using an older camera lens in an enlarger which generates heat. The balsam used to cement lens elements can be damaged.

Leon Jester
11-Feb-2007, 10:04
I have 16 1/2" Artar in a shutter and a 16 1/2" Artar in a barrel. Can the barrel be used as an enlarging lens? I head somewhere that a pair of like lenses make great taking and enlarging. The 16 1/2" is a common Goerz lens, what is the largest format that you have used it for?

The Artars were designed to be used for process photography, not enlarging. By design, they are flat-field lenses with little depth of focus.

If used for photography in a studio, they are excellent. As was noted, the cements used in the lenses can be damaged by the heat of an enlarger.

The largest camera I've used Artars on was a Robertson with a 40 inch back, the 16.5 inch lense should cover a 20 inch square adequately, unless you're at 1:1.

Kirk Fry
11-Feb-2007, 10:55
There are no cemented elements in an Artar. 4 groups of 4.