PDA

View Full Version : Problem with brand new Schnedier 210mm Apo-Symmar L

Ben Chase
31-Dec-2006, 19:56
Well, I just purchased (and received) a brand-new 210 from Badger.

Problem is, I try using my Linos spanner wrench for the Copal 1 size, and the retaining ring will NOT come off of the shutter.

I put some pretty good force on it, and it won't even budge. Is there something I'm missing? The ring came off of my Rodenstock lens without any difficulty at all.

I'm considering either sending the lens back to Badger or to SK Grimes to have them mount it...

Thoughts?

Ben C

Ralph Barker
31-Dec-2006, 20:17
Assuming you have the flat wrench cut from sheet metal, it really doesn't provide a lot of leverage. While that's usually fine, you may need a touch more leverage, as might be afforded by holding the Linos wrench with pliers, while the lens (sans the rear element) is held firmly on a solid gripping surface.

Ben Chase
31-Dec-2006, 20:21
Ok, I'll give that a try....

Ben Chase
31-Dec-2006, 20:32
Ok, I'll give that a try....

Nope. No difference. Why do they make this so difficult?

Ralph Barker
31-Dec-2006, 20:41
If it's any consolation, Ben, over-tightened retaining rings are probably pretty rare. While it's impossible for us to look over your shoulder, it's possible that a regular, bar-style spanner (like that made by S.K. Grimes) may be needed. I'd talk to Jeff at Badger on Tuesday and see what he suggests.

BrianShaw
31-Dec-2006, 20:46
Time for a Wheaties breakfast? Perhaps with spinach on top??

Frank Petronio
31-Dec-2006, 21:11
Put the lens in a padded vice. Take a 16p nail at a 45 degree angle pointing in the unscrewing direction and put the tip into a slot on the damn retaining ring. Take a 22 oz. framing hammer. Wack.

Fucking Germans.

Ben Chase
31-Dec-2006, 21:12
Time for a Wheaties breakfast? Perhaps with spinach on top??

Considering the $$$ I just spent on this baby - I think being a little wussified on the torque applied is justified :)

Ben Chase
31-Dec-2006, 21:13
Put the lens in a padded vice. Take a 16p nail at a 45 degree angle pointing in the unscrewing direction and put the tip into a slot on the damn retaining ring. Take a 22 oz. framing hammer. Wack.

Fucking Germans.

Oh good Lord Frank.

I don't suppose anyone makes a 15-amp powered spanner wrench? :)

Sheldon N
31-Dec-2006, 21:20
In this case, I'd send the lens back to Badger for a refund.

Not so much because of the retaining ring (though it does make for a good excuse), but primarily because you can buy it direct from Schneider for $860.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22085

Not only will you get a lens that doesn't have a stuck retaining ring, you'll come out $314 richer. :)

Jack Flesher
1-Jan-2007, 12:04
A long shot but... Look down inside the slots on the retaining ring and see if by chance one has cammed over the little positioning screw on the back of the shutter. If so, then you will probably need to remove that tiny screw before trying to remove the ring.

Of course if they're still available as per Sheldon's link above, that is the right answer :)

Ben Chase
1-Jan-2007, 12:09
Actually Jeff from Badger sent me this:

Hi Ben, This is very common on a new shutter. There may be some adhesive or something from the manufacturing process on the threads. All you need to do is GENTLY put a flat head of a screwdriver between the retaining ring and the back of the shutter. Then with a little pressure push up on the retaining ring. The ring should then unscrew with the spanner. Any problems, just call tomorrow.

That's exactly what it was. Fixed!

Doug Dolde
1-Jan-2007, 18:46
I wouldn't use anything except a Grimes spanner wrench. And I always tighten the legs with an open end wrench to the right size to prevent it from slipping.

But a Brand New lens? That is ridiculous...send it back.

Ben Chase
1-Jan-2007, 19:32
Even after what he told me worked?

Doug Dolde
1-Jan-2007, 19:48
oh i didnt read that

Ben Chase
1-Jan-2007, 20:03
oh i didnt read that

No prob - Thanks for having a look nonetheless!

Armin Seeholzer
2-Jan-2007, 02:50
"Fucking Germans."

Hi Frank you fucking Am...

Happy Newyear!

Geert
2-Jan-2007, 03:32
"Fucking Germans."

Hi Frank you fucking Am...

Happy Newyear!

Hi Armin,

I wonder what you typed into Google to find this thread :D