PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for use with Linhof Tech V and wide-angle focusing device?

Mike Lewis
30-Dec-2006, 18:49
Which lenses in the 58-72mm range are suitable for use with the Linhof wide-angle focusing device, when used on a Linhof Technika V? I'm concerned about physical problems such as filters interfering with the wide-angle device, etc.

In a sort-of related question, what lens focal lengths need a recessed lensboard when used with the Tech V (without the wide-angle device)? I have a Schneider SA 90 f/8 mounted on a recessed lensboard, and from what I've read, this may be unnecessary. Seems to me like it is, though. When I use the 90mm I drop the bed, raise the front standard, and rack the front rail back until it rides over the rail in the camera body. It appears that this barely works, even with the recessed lensboard. I might be missing something here regarding technique. Please comment.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Dec-2006, 19:11
You shouldn't need to drop the bed with the 90/8 Super-Angulon. The infinity focusing point should be about the same with the lens on a recessed board and the focusing rail retracted with the bed flat, as the infinity point of a 150mm lens (Marflex, in fact, can shim the lenses so that they use the same stops).

With the wideangle device I've used the 65/8 Super-Angulon and 55/4.5 Apo-Grandagon.

I've used the 75/4.5 Grandagon-N and 75/8 Super-Angulon on my Tech V on a regular recessed board, bed dropped, with the rail in the retracted position (no wideangle device required).

Brian Ellis
30-Dec-2006, 22:21
"When I use the 90mm I drop the bed, raise the front standard, and rack the front rail back until it rides over the rail in the camera body. It appears that this barely works, even with the recessed lensboard. I might be missing something here regarding technique. Please comment."

You don't need a recessed board with a Tech V and a 90mm lens. And you don't need to drop the bed when making horizontal photographs with the 90mm lens, only when making verticals. Actually you don't absolutely have to drop the bed even with veriticals, I believe you could instead just use a little front rise to keep the last inch or so of the front of the bed out of the picture if that didn't mess up your composition. I used a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon on a Technika V without a recessed board. I used an 80mm SS XL on a Master Technika with a recessed board. I was told by someone connected to Linhof that I would need a recessed board with that lens so I just took their word for it, I never tried to use a flat board.

Bob Salomon
31-Dec-2006, 06:32
The wide angle focusing device is for 65 to 45mm lenses. 90 and 72mm fit on the recessed board. The exception is for the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon N which is in a 1 shutter and Linhof does make a Technika 45 recessed board with a 1 size hole.

All other 90mm should be mounted only in the recessed board for easiest use. If it is not in a recessed board then the lens standard is pulled back and may not be fully on the camera bed rails. This would lead to alignment problems when in this position which could affect your results.

When using lenses 75mm or shorter with the back in the vertical position, with full rise and thye bed fully dropped it is possible that the end of the drop bed will be in the image. This can be preveted by leaving the back in the horizontal position and rotating the whole camera 90° to take a vertical.

On the new Technika 3000 which will start shipping in small quantities next month this drop bed problem will no longer exist as the bed will drop to almost 180°.

David A. Goldfarb
31-Dec-2006, 07:37
On the new Technika 3000 which will start shipping in small quantities next month this drop bed problem will no longer exist as the bed will drop to almost 180°.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to put the new Tech 3000 3-position struts on an old Tech IV/V/MT/2000?

Bob Salomon
31-Dec-2006, 08:36
David,

No idea. They haven't shipped the first camera yet. The 3000 is based on the MT and the 2000 so there should be similarities. But that does not mean that the parts are interchangeable.

Brian Ellis
2-Jan-2007, 00:19
"All other 90mm should be mounted only in the recessed board for easiest use. If it is not in a recessed board then the lens standard is pulled back and may not be fully on the camera bed rails. This would lead to alignment problems when in this position which could affect your results."

I used a 90mm F5.6 Super Angulon for years on a Technika V without a recessed board and never had the first problem with alignment or anything else. As long as the top rail is moved all the way to the back so that the gap that otherwise might exist is eliminated I don't think the lens can fail to be fully on the camera bed rails.