PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SilverFast 6.5

Bill McMannis
29-Dec-2006, 20:59
Forgive me for asking the same question twice. I previously asked for help in an earlier thread regarding the new version of SilverFast. Here is what I have:

I recently upgraded from SilverFast AI 6.4 (came bundled with my 4870) to SilverFast AI Studio 6.5. I successfully used the demo to insure compatability with my equipment, specifically an Epson 4870 scanner running under WinXP. Using the demo, I scanned 4x5 transparencies in 48bit using multi exposure. I was then able to process the scans as I always have using Photoshop CS2. The demo was suppose to the full-fledged working version that would be operable for two weeks, but it also did add a number "LaserSoft" watermarks across the image. After I upgraded to the licensed version, I began to have problems. As I assume most users do, I embed the ICC profile in the tiff created by SilverFast to insure that my colors are as accurate as possible. Now when I retouch an image in PS using a filter such as Unsharp Mask or Noise Reduction, I get the error message such as “Could Not Complete the Reduce Noise Command Because the ICC Profile is Invalid.”

I created the ICC profile in Monaco’s EZColor v 2.6 (also came bundled with the 4870)and these are the profiles that worked successfully in SilverFast AI 6.4 and the demo of SilverFast 6.5. Just to make certain the profile was not corrupted, I created a new profile in EZColor, but the results are the same.

I can create a scan that does not create the error in PS by unclicking the option to embed the profile. The problem is without the profile, the image’s colors are washed out and the image is of no use.

I have had a couple emails go back and forth with SilverFast's tech support, but they have no suggestions as yet. I do not expect to hear from them again until Tuesday due to the holiday. I will certainly share the resolution with this forum when I receive it.

Any suggestions from forum members, as always, are appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill McMannis
31-Dec-2006, 11:19
A little bit of an update on my predicament:

By downloading the newest driver for my 4870 from Epson and creating the IT8 target using Epson's Twain driver (rather than creating the target within Silverfast itself), I am now getting the "Invalid ICC profile" only when I apply the Reduce Noise filter in Photoshop. All other filters work as normal and my color matching is acceptable.

Interestingly, tiffs created with OR without the multi exposure process in SilverFast 6.5 create the error. Never had the problem with SilverFast 6.4 or 6.3. My scans created in the demo version of 6.5 also do not create the error.

Anyone else out there experiencing this?

Thanks!

Andrew O'Neill
1-Jan-2007, 11:09
nope.

archivue
1-Jan-2007, 16:34
with a v750, i find out thay the best profile was made using the IT 8 and the silverfasy calibration tool

Bill McMannis
1-Jan-2007, 18:17
It appears the calibration tool is not included with version for the 4870.

I am working between MonacoEZ Color, SilverFast and PS CS2 trying to find a combination that works.

Thanks for the reply.

neil poulsen
1-Jan-2007, 19:23
You do not have to imbed the scanning icc profile to get it assigned in Photoshop.

Set the three questions in Edit|Color Settings all to "Yes". If there's no profile imbedded with the image, you'll get a pop-up window that will enable you to assign the correct scanner profile when you open the image in Photoshop. After selecting the correct scanner profile from the drop-down menu, place a checkmark in the box that automatically appears and convert the image to your RGB working space. (You definitely don't want to use your assigned scanner profile as your RGB working profile. The assignment only allows PS to adjust to the correct scanner colors.)

If it's not already there, place a copy of the scanner profile in the Library|ColorSync|Profiles folder. Actually, EZColor may have already placed the scanner profile in the correct folder when the profile was created.

As an afterthought, don't change the file name of an icc profile after it's creation, especially on a Mac.

Also in Edit|Color Settings, make sure your RGB working space isn't set to sRGB. Set it to Adobe RGB 98, or to ProPhoto, or to some other good RGB working space, but avoid leaving it set to sRGB. (sRGB is the Adobe Photoshop default.) It'll clip your colors. In addition, where possible in Color Settings, it's best to specify Preserve Embedded Profiles.

Bill McMannis
1-Jan-2007, 19:56
Neil,

Checking the three boxes and then responding "Yes" to Convert to Working RGB did the trick. Odd that this was not an issue with 6.4 or the demo version 6.5.

I really appreciate the help

Many thanks!