PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Aristo Cold Light Bulb

Turner Reich
29-Dec-2006, 05:40
How's that for a good one? I have an earlier model 5x7 Aristo cold light head that has a bulb with ends that simply slip into sockets instead of being hard wired in. It works great but the bulb must be older than the hills. Aristo sad they would have to see it to advise. It's a blue case and has, well had a gold sticker that said Aristo, on it. It has an off on switch only, no heater:confused: . I let it heat up and use it that way. It works great but when the bulb goes I'm :eek: .

Has anyone heard of one of these or have one of these. I think I can change the sockets OK but no heater? How do the heaters work in them? I looked at a 4x5, I think it's a 4500 model, I have and it has wires from the heater going under the transformer. I was even thinking of taking the entire transformer and parts from the 4x5 light and putting them in the 5x7 and getting a new bulb. I wonder if the wattage drop would be a problem.

Thanks

Chuck Pere
29-Dec-2006, 06:11
Did you ask Aristo if they sell a heater kit or parts? I believe that years ago a friend added a heater to his. I think mine are just a group of large power resistors to supply the heat and a thermostat for control. This is on a 1212 head. If Aristo has the parts you could probably figure out how to install them.

Turner Reich
30-Dec-2006, 01:09
Chuck, I didn't ask them about a heater. I plugged it in this evening and it came right on. After a while it was warm, not hot, but warm to the touch. I wonder if this one didn't need a heater? I will ask them. I have an Aristo 10X12 cold light with a big power supply and an adjustable dimmer. It's effectively new. I was told that it was an 8X10 enlarger cold light and Aristo doesn't know. It is stamped Aristo and has a number but they have no record of it. It looks more like a viewer than a head but the output and color temp is cold light head compatible. I haven't figured that one out yet.

I have the D2 on my Beseler 45 right now and a 23 on my Omega 6X6. I like the heads.

phil sweeney
30-Dec-2006, 07:02
The V54 lamp has a 25 watt resistor and thermostat. I had to replace the resistor. Older units did not have a heater. I believe you will find the heater is to regulate output.

John Berry
31-Dec-2006, 18:44
I had one just like it. Worked real good. Fast printing times. I did however, give it a ten second warmup before making the time exposure. Consistancy was much better. When getting an image ready to print the lamp is on a while. I let it settle down a little before doing the acual printing. The light likes a consistant ritual.

Turner Reich
1-Jan-2007, 04:40
John that is good to hear, I don't see a problem using it either.

Andrew O'Neill
1-Jan-2007, 11:05
never heard of such a thing....could you post some pics of it?

Turner Reich
5-Jan-2007, 11:00
The heater, the case, the bulb, the transformer or what?