PDA

View Full Version : Hopeless lens help

Aaron van de Sande
28-Dec-2006, 21:19
I have some B&L RR lens elements from a stripped shutter. Even the aperture diaphragm is gone. Would it be possible to fit in an old graphex or betax #2? It is hard to get thread info on the older smaller US shutters. I measure the diameter of the cells threads to be about 1.466 inches. It isn't worth getting them mounted I am just hoping to luck out and find a shutter they will thread into.

Capocheny
28-Dec-2006, 22:58
I have some B&L RR lens elements from a stripped shutter. Even the aperture diaphragm is gone. Would it be possible to fit in an old graphex or betax #2? It is hard to get thread info on the older smaller US shutters. I measure the diameter of the cells threads to be about 1.466 inches. It isn't worth getting them mounted I am just hoping to luck out and find a shutter they will thread into.

Aaron,

I've had a few lenses mounted into shutter by Tim over at:

http://www.lensN2shutter.com.

He did a great job on the lenses and I'm very happy with the results!

Send him a note and ask his opinion. :)

Cheers

Paul Fitzgerald
30-Dec-2006, 09:36
Aaron,

They won't fit Betax or Supermatic #2, too small, OR #3, too large. They must be a B&L size. Too bad they didn't standardize back then.

Have fun with the hunt

Jim Jones
30-Dec-2006, 12:14
It's probably cheaper to get a different RR in a good shutter than to mount your cells in another shutter.

Dave Moeller
30-Dec-2006, 12:48
Depending on the focal length of the lens(es) (It's unclear to me whether you have two elements from one lens or more elements) you might be able to pick up equivalent lenses in old Kodak folders. The 3A Autographic folders that I have both came with RR lenses, both slightly longer than 150mm (160 and 172, if memory serves), and both were in shutters. The shutters were limited in the speeds they offered but they were easy to get working and are better than nothing.

Randy H
30-Dec-2006, 14:50
And with no standardization back then, maybe it will fit, and maybe it won't. I have had a few sets of RR and a couple of rapid convertibles. The convertible actually fit in an Ilex shutter.