PDA

View Full Version : T-Max Direct Positive kit and EK powdered fixer

johnnydc
28-Dec-2006, 15:06
The directions for this kit say you should use a hardening fixer -- makes sense since you're making positives that need the extra rigidity. I regularly use the Kodak powdered fixer for processing film and I already have 2 gallons of the stuff mixed up for general use. It is my understanding that this is a hardening fixer, and as such I should be able to use it. Am I correct in this assumption, and if so can I use it with the Direct Positive kit?

Thanks.

Renee Galang
28-Dec-2006, 15:17
Hello, I've managed to get buy this kit too and am planning to develop 11x14 tmax 400 film with it. I've used other direct positive film develop and have been happy with the results. I did not used a hardener fixer and it was ok, I did selenium toned them though to great better blacks and stabilised the chemistry of the film. Let me know how you go with this kit..........

johnnydc
28-Dec-2006, 15:48
Hello, I've managed to get buy this kit too and am planning to develop 11x14 tmax 400 film with it. I've used other direct positive film develop and have been happy with the results. I did not used a hardener fixer and it was ok, I did selenium toned them though to great better blacks and stabilised the chemistry of the film. Let me know how you go with this kit..........

Well Renee, the kit I got is rather old (probably 2 years) so I don't know if it's still going to work but I'm hoping it does. When I finally get a chance to shoot a roll and develop it, I will let you know. And thanks for the tip about toning in Selenium. I wonder how it would respond to some chromium intensification as well.

Neal Wydra
29-Dec-2006, 08:25
Dear johnnydc,

Kodak Fixer (the packets of powder) is a hardening fixer.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e103cf/e103cf.pdf?id=0.2.22.14.18.14.7.14.16&lc=en

Neal Wydra

Renee Galang
29-Dec-2006, 15:29
my kit is rather old too, maybe be even older than your kit? But it should be cool though because there is no expiration date as such, not that I can see anything in my box which is still unopend. Fuji neopan 100 toned well and its so nice to look at a positive black and white film!