PDA

View Full Version : Use of NPS as a long exposure film

claudiocambon
27-Dec-2006, 10:30
I am about to start a project, and would like to keep my film down to one type. Because I am shooting with a Technika, I favor the faster exposure NPS over the NPL, but I wanted to ask, how does NPS do on the longer exposures? Is there a noticeable color shift? What is it? The threshold I think is 1/30 sec, but I was curious if anyone had specific info for NPS at what would be a common daylight exposure for me, which would be as low as 1/4 sec, and then for a dusk exposure fo several minutes, for example.

And, if there is a noticeable shift, can it be compensated for on the computer after the fact?

And, if that weren't enough questions, how does NPL do shot at 1/125? (I seem to think the threshold there is 1/60, but, again, I'm not sure.)

I remember that Misrach used to shoot VPS instead of VPL, and that he found the warning shift a plus for his work.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Henry Ambrose
27-Dec-2006, 11:34
NPL is tungsten balanced, NPS is daylight film.

NPS (or 160S the current version) will probably work great. While I seldom expose it for more than a minute, I do use it frequently from 2-30 seconds with no problems. When in doubt I shoot an extra sheet at a full stop more than the metered exposure. I rate it at 100 on the meter. One minute metered exposures I'll shoot at one minute and then another at two minutes. Color corrections in the computer are no big deal.

If I were you, I'd test NPS or (160S) at the 2-4 minutes times to see how much extra exposure it will need. If I were standing there with only one sheet and thought I'd need a two minute exposure I'd give it four minutes. But testing is better.

David Luttmann
27-Dec-2006, 12:08
Claudio,

You'll find only minor color shifts after approx 30 seconds. I run upwards of 2 minutes and only require minor tweaking in Photoshop. Reciprocity characteristics are good. I only increase exposure by about 20% after 2 minutes. Color balance is very tolerant & I've noticed only minor shifts under extreme mixed lighting. I expose at iso 125. You'll get punchier contrast and color saturation shooting at 100....but I like the extra latitude when I'm shooting in areas of bright lighting. You can drag a tremendous amount of detail out of the shadows depending on the scanner being used. This was my primary film for portraiture and wedding work. It's a great workhorse!

claudiocambon
27-Dec-2006, 12:25
Perfect. Thanks!!

false_Aesthetic
28-Dec-2006, 07:41
Hey,

I shot NPS at night for a few years. They're right, color shift isn't that bad. I ususally rated my film at 100 and then just doubled the exposure. In the end, most of my exposures were 8-15 min. (you can see them on my website)

It's a great film!

T