PDA

View Full Version : goerz dagor

smm
27-Dec-2006, 09:35
I have located an old lens, which I bought years ago. It reads on front of lens: GOERZ DAGOR E 68 US PAT No 528155 SERIES III No 4 FOCUS 9 1/2 in. No 223623. On surrounding metal: ILEX Optical Co Rochester, NY. ACME No 3. f stops: f 6.8 - 45. On back of lens: 223563. It is mounted on a lens board with shutter. I am more familar with medium format, so I am out of my league. Any information would help. Is this a keeper? Any idea of what its retail value would be.
Thanks

Ernest Purdum
27-Dec-2006, 09:45
The Dagor, a very old design, is still highly regarded. Dagors were made for very many years in Rochester, NY, after having been discontinued in Berlin where the early ones were made. Yours seems to have been made in Rochester about 1907. Its value would depend primarily on condition.

You may be able to get an idea of value by searching eBay for completed auctions.

John Kasaian
27-Dec-2006, 09:50
Ohhh yeah, its a keeper.

The f-stop scale doesn't seem correct though----it should go down to f/64 at least. I'd have Carol at Flutot's work her magic on it.

Jim Noel
27-Dec-2006, 13:07
I have several Dagors and none of them have markings past f 45. I understand that the longer ones go to f 64, but the longest Ihavein the original shutter is 210mm.

Ash
27-Dec-2006, 14:12
If you wanted to shift it, I'd be interested in buying ;)

John Kasaian
28-Dec-2006, 01:09
I agree with Ernest Purdum that condition is important, though if its not been abused I think it is a very desireable lens.

In the November/December 2003 View Camera there is a portfolio by Tracy Longley Cook of biological specimens using a Dagor (IIRC a 8-1/4" for macro on an V-8 'dorff) that absolutely took my breath away. I have a 12" and a 19" and (again if in good condition) I think Dagors are wonderful lenses IMHO.

E. von Hoegh
29-Dec-2006, 16:50
YES, it is a "keeper".

It will cover 8x10, with some movements when stopped down to f45. I have one # 226177, it is one of my most used lenses on both 8x10 and 4x5.

Should you wish to use it, be advised that if you focus wide open, you will have to re-focus at the shooting aperture. All the Dagors I have ever used get longer as they are stopped down.. They are also soft wide open. I use mine between f16 and f32.
There are sharper lenses(although not by much), but in my humble opinion there is no sweeter lens than a Dagor.:)

John Kasaian
29-Dec-2006, 21:02
Interesting comments. I haven't had a problem with focus shifting on my Dagors when stopping down. Is this a common problem? Does anyone else here have shifting Dagors?

Steve Hamley
29-Dec-2006, 21:36
Folks,

Need to note that unless there is a typo, the serials are different and cells are mis matched.

Steve

John Kasaian
29-Dec-2006, 23:46
Ahhhh! I didn't see the mismatched serial numbers----man, I gotta get a new prescription! If the serial # don't jive I'd think that would call for substantial drop in value.Since its already yours, why not try it? It might surprise you and besides if you sell it to someone with better vision than I, they won't give you much. While the shifting focus issue could well be a factor I suspect it might be a very decent performer anyway though---one never knows!

Paul Fitzgerald
30-Dec-2006, 09:22
Hi John,

"Interesting comments. I haven't had a problem with focus shifting on my Dagors when stopping down. Is this a common problem? Does anyone else here have shifting Dagors?"

Yes, but they are both very early Doppel Anastigmat series III f/7.7, 240mm #46546 and 300mm #88684. They shift enough that they should be focused at taking aperture. :eek: I guess they must have corrected the problem with later versions. Nice look to them and they are really fine for close-up work.

Happy New Year

Ernest Purdum
30-Dec-2006, 09:48
Kingslake mentions focus shift.

smm
7-Jan-2007, 12:03
Yes, I put in a typo the - number on the front of the lens matches the back - the correct number is: 223623

Bill_1856
7-Jan-2007, 15:24
I have 120mm, 6" and 8.25" lenses, all coated, and have noted no focus shift. They really are sweet lenses.

Jon Wilson
7-Jan-2007, 17:11
I just picked up Goerz Dagor Series III No. 1a 6 1/2 inch in a working compound shutter. I have not tried it. It has the old American Aperture scale f2.8. Does anyone have any thoughts on shots will is capable of? Thanks.

BTW, this lens needs a flange. Does anyone have one which will fit? Let me know. Thanks again. Jon

Ernest Purdum
7-Jan-2007, 18:53
I might have a flange which would fit, but need to know which size Compound you have. Please give me an approximate dimension of the mounting thread.

Jon Wilson
7-Jan-2007, 19:16
I might have a flange which would fit, but need to know which size Compound you have. Please give me an approximate dimension of the mounting thread.

Ernest, it is 34.1mm with fine threads. Let me know if you have one and I will be most appreciative and happy to send payment via paypal, check, etc.

Thank you. Jon