PDA

View Full Version : Do Docter Germinar's start out as barrel lenses?

Vick Ko
24-Dec-2006, 09:43
Do Docter Germinar's start out as barrel lenses, say the 150mm Germinar?

From what I've read, did most (all?) of them begin as a barrel lens, and they are later fitted to the appropriate shutter?

Does the 150 split into 2, with one cell in front of the shutter and the other behind? Or does the entire lens sit in front of the shutter?

Thanks
Vick

Ralph Barker
24-Dec-2006, 09:47
My 150 began life as a barrel lens, but my 300 came as front and rear elements.

The in-shutter configuration is the usual front-shutter-rear arrangement.

Ted Harris
24-Dec-2006, 10:08
Vick, of course the answer is, "it depends.":D It deepends on the focal length and the series. There were several different series (e.g. Apo Germinar, Germinar W) and different specifications within a single sieries. For example the Apo Germinar's in the 300, 360, 750 (and other focal lengths but I don't remember the specifics) all came as either barrel lenses or in shutter. Those that came in shutter had somewhat different specifications than those that came in a barrel and those that came in barrel could not be simply dropped into a shutter.

You can get some of the details in Arne Corell's article on the Home Page and all the details in the multipart series on the complete range of Zeiss/Docter lenses in View Camera magazine.

stompyq
24-Dec-2006, 10:31
My 150mm Germinar came as a barrel lens. The cells unscrewed fit directly in to a copal 0 shutter.

Diane Maher
25-Dec-2006, 06:21
My 240 Germinar-W came as a barrel lens.

Arne Croell
25-Dec-2006, 09:14
The Germinar W series all came as barrel lenses; the 150, 210, 240 and 305mm will be a diirect fit in a shutter, the 360 will need adaptation.

The Apo-Germinar series was sold by Docter both as barrel versions and as shuttered versions. The barreled versions are essentially the same as the GDR ones sold under the Zeiss Jena name and will not fit in a shutter.

Similarly, the Apo-Germinar W series was also sold by Docter both as barrel versions and as shuttered versions. The barreled versions are essentially the same as the GDR ones sold under the Zeiss Jena name and will not fit in a shutter.

Laszlo
25-Dec-2006, 13:34
Arno, I dont understand smth. I bought a 240 Germ-W in a barrel, which fit into a Copal #1 w/o problems. Am I missing smth?

Arne Croell
26-Dec-2006, 10:01
Arno, I dont understand smth. I bought a 240 Germ-W in a barrel, which fit into a Copal #1 w/o problems. Am I missing smth?

Laszlo, that is exactly what I wrote:"The Germinar W series all came as barrel lenses; the 150, 210, 240 and 305mm will be a direct fit in a shutter, the 360 will need adaptation." So your 240mm Germinar W is a direct fit into a Copal 1

Dan Fromm
26-Dec-2006, 10:50
Arne, if CZJ-DDR and their successor Docter are anything like Boyer, they'd do anything a customer requested. I make this comment because I have some Boyer fiches techniques that report how the lenses' cells are threaded and Boyer lenses that don't, alas, conform to the documentation.

Cheers,

Dan

Laszlo
26-Dec-2006, 19:07
Laszlo, that is exactly what I wrote:...

Got it.

Dr Klaus Schmitt
27-Dec-2006, 09:11
So are you happy with these answers Vick? Arne was quite precise about that (of course).