PDA

View Full Version : 90mm SAXL on a Toyo 45AII?

Lazybones
23-Dec-2006, 14:58
Will a Schneider 90mm SAXL fit a Toyo 45AII? If so, are there any problems associated with this combination?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thank You,
Lazybones

Gary Smith
23-Dec-2006, 15:32
I tried a friends 90mm SAXL on my 45AII and it worked perfectly. I tried it on a flatboard with no problems, though a recessed board would give slightly more movements.

I ended up with a Fujinon 90mm SWD, mainly because it was slightly smaller.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Jay Wolfe
23-Dec-2006, 15:40
Make sure the rear element will fit throught the lensboard opening. It will not fit through a Linhof opening.

roteague
23-Dec-2006, 19:40
Yes, it will work. I have a 45II and I use an 80mm XL on a flatboard, and I previously used a Nikkor 90mm with the camera. BTW, the Toyo doesn't use a Linhof board; the board is 110mm by 110mm, if I remember correctly.

Jean-Marie Solichon
24-Dec-2006, 02:51
Yes, the 90SAXL will work. The lensboard opening of the 45AII is square and large, no limited round shape as in Linhofs'. A 90mm is usable on a flat lensboard; But a 90SAXL seems overkill for this camera : it has twice more IC than the camera will allow to use (20+25mm rise + fall)!

Barry Wilkinson
24-Dec-2006, 06:45
I use this lens on my Toyo 45AII, It fits easily.

Note: There were some 45AII's made that used the small Linhof panel (45AII-L), but these are quite rare. My, and almost all 45AII's use the 110mm panel as mentioned by Robert.

Barry

Ted Harris
24-Dec-2006, 07:20
Barry, small correction. The II-L has the entire 'front end' redesigned with different front standards but the one thing that stays the same is the large opening which is the same size as that of the regular II so there are no lensboard opening issues with it. I am sitting here looking at mine right now. BTW, as far as I know, they are still manufactured. You are correct that they are quite rare and they have never been sold new in the North American market.

Barry Wilkinson
24-Dec-2006, 08:36
Barry, small correction. The II-L has the entire 'front end' redesigned with different front standards but the one thing that stays the same is the large opening which is the same size as that of the regular II so there are no lensboard opening issues with it. I am sitting here looking at mine right now. BTW, as far as I know, they are still manufactured. You are correct that they are quite rare and they have never been sold new in the North American market.

Thanks for the correction Ted. Robert White here in the UK used to list them but I have never actually seen one. I just assumed (wrongly) that they would have the same round restriction as seen on Linhof's. They are still listed on Toyo's Japanese website..

http://www.toyoview.co.jp/maincame.htm

Thank's

Barry

Lazybones
24-Dec-2006, 12:05
...But a 90SAXL seems overkill for this camera

I agree. The plan is to also acquire a rail camera, in the not too distant future, for architectural work.

Thank you to everyone for all the great information!