PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao FCL-57-A

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
22-Dec-2006, 11:03
Has any of you ever used this camera ? What are your opinions about using iit with a 4x5 reducing back ?

Ted Harris
22-Dec-2006, 12:04
I 'played' briefly with the camera during the "Speed Date Your New Camera' workshop at the last View Camera Conference. I like the camera and it felt familiar to me because it is basically a 'knockoff of Dick Phillips' designs. Can't think of a single reason not to use it with a reducing back .... a very convenient way to cary around two formats. I do the same with my Canham 57T.

Marko
22-Dec-2006, 12:41
I am also thinking along the same lines, but how about weight?

Ted Harris
22-Dec-2006, 15:52
Well, at an advertised weight of 3 kg it is not a lightweight but then again it is not a lot heavier than some 4x5's out there. You an figure the additional back will not add more than another 500 grams tops and likely less. The only problem is that manufaturer's weights are more often under than over estimates. Having said that, I don't remember the camera feeling overly heavy, although my subjective impression was that it weighed more than my Canham 57 .... again all subjective.

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
22-Dec-2006, 15:57
Thanks to all of you. I think that a difference in weight of 0,5 - 1 kg is not so bad afterwards. Many people are only considering camera weights without thinking about lenses, film holders and ancillary equipment............

Amund BLix Aaeng
23-Dec-2006, 05:07
I use it with a reducing back(and the 5x7 back of course) and very pleased with it.
The camera weighs about the same as the HZX-45 I used to have.

naturephoto1
23-Dec-2006, 05:46
I use it with a reducing back(and the 5x7 back of course) and very pleased with it.
The camera weighs about the same as the HZX-45 I used to have.

Amund is being too modest. :eek: :) He has a thread on this camera with many great photos here on this forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19657

Rich

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
23-Dec-2006, 11:41
Richard,

Amund is really too modest ! Congratulations to Amund :o for the review and for his camera. I am an happy owner of a Shen Hao 4x5 (with 90, 135, 150, 200, 300 and 450 mm lens) and I am in the market (see my other thread about monorails) for a camera that will allow me a longer bellow in the field and to do some botanicals. I have restricted the options to four options:

1) Second hand Sinar F2 with a adapter that will allow me to switch lenses with my Shen Hao.
2) Second hand Wisner Expedition as Ken suggested me but, as far as I know, there is no adapter to Linhof type boards.
3) Brand new Shen Hao 5x7 with reducing 4x5 board.
4) Brand new Ebony 45 SV (:confused: ) (much more expensive than the previous options but a really good camera as far as could understand).
5) Equipping my 8x10 Wehman (that is already equipped with adapter to Linhof type boards) with an a a 4x5 reducing board. This option is the least expensive option but I fear that the camera equipped in this way could result too cumbersome to be used in the field for the 4x5 format.

Whish option would you select if you were me ?

Marko
23-Dec-2006, 11:58
Luca,

I agree with your thinking, using a 5x7 model of camera you already like is a nice way to have two formats for a very slightly higher price. I am about to buy my first field camera and one of my strong wishes if not requirements is also longer bellows.

I am currently deciding between a 4x5 Shen-Hao and a 5x7 Shen-Hao, although a different model, HZX57-IIAT. It's the second camera on this page (http://www.shen-hao.com/E57512.html). It looks very much like the same model in different format.

The only dealbreaker at this point might be the weight. The 5x7 version weighs 4 kg (almost 9 pounds), compared to 2.4 kg (about 5 pounds) for the 4x5. And those are manufacturer's figures, almost always on the optimistic side. Then come the film holders, the tripod and all the other things that support the selected format. Oh, and the conversion back too, in the case of 5x7.

Tough decision, especially for a non-professional.

johnnydc
23-Dec-2006, 15:12
Sorry for going OT, but can somebody tell me if the 4x5 reducing back for the Shen-Hao 5x7 can use 4x5 Graflok accessories?

Ongarine
24-Dec-2006, 04:41
Dear Luca,
the best choice to go is a Shen Hao 5x7 with a 4x5 back, you could have some money selling the 4x5. This seems to me the most practical way to do some botanics.
Sinar is heavy on the field.
Wisner is not my favourite filed camera.
Ebony really expensive, will it worth such a huge amount of money?
A curiosity: which is your method to use a 450 mm on the Shan Hao 4x5?
I will be happy to know it..........
Thanks
Daniele

Amund BLix Aaeng
24-Dec-2006, 04:45
Sorry for going OT, but can somebody tell me if the 4x5 reducing back for the Shen-Hao 5x7 can use 4x5 Graflok accessories?

Yes it can, standard International back.

Amund BLix Aaeng
24-Dec-2006, 04:45
Amund is being too modest. :eek: :) He has a thread on this camera with many great photos here on this forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19657

Rich

:)

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
24-Dec-2006, 06:25
Ciao and many thanks for the answers. The Fuji 450 was not bought for my 4x5 Shen Hao but for my Wehman 8x10. I am still wandering if the 480 mm bellow of the Shen Hao FCL-57-A is enogh for botanicals......

Marko
24-Dec-2006, 10:48
Ciao and many thanks for the answers. The Fuji 450 was not bought for my 4x5 Shen Hao but for my Wehman 8x10. I am still wandering if the 480 mm bellow of the Shen Hao FCL-57-A is enogh for botanicals......

HZX57-IIAT has 610 mm bellows and is 1 kg heavier.

But then if you use 120-150 mm lens, even the 4x5 Shen should provide enough of an extension.

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
24-Dec-2006, 11:16
Thanks Marko. The HZX57-IIAT has 610 mm bellows, is 1 kg heavier and more expensive than the other model. On top of that the focusing gear is different. The HZX57-IIAT has a focusing system similar to the Shen Hao 4x5 whereas the FCL is much similar to the Phillips. If I go for a 5x7 I will definitely go for the FCL model but my wonder is for botanicals (my lens of choice will be a G-Claron 240 mm) the 480 mm bellow draw of this camera will be enough. My other opion, as mentioned, could be a Wisner that has 580 mm bellow draw as Ken has indicated.

Ted Harris
25-Dec-2006, 19:45
"2) Second hand Wisner Expedition as Ken suggested me but, as far as I know, there is no adapter to Linhof type boards."

There absolutely is ..... contact Richard Ritter at www.lg4mat.net. AFAIK he has one in stock.