PDA

View Full Version : Durst L1200 & Ilford 400C - any advice?

Nick Wood
11-Dec-2006, 04:08
I've been hunting for a while now for my first 5x4 enlarger to replace my Magnifax.

There's an L1200 with 400C head on 'the auction site' at the moment. I've seen lots of De Veres with 500 heads, but this is the first time I've seen a 400 head.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Is the 400 somehow inferior?

Oh, and what about the Durst - presumably it's a fine piece of kit. Is there any likelihood I'll need spares for it in the future, or should it be suitably robust to last a lifetime.

Thanks in anticipation.

Nick

robc
11-Dec-2006, 06:00
if the L1200 is in good condition then it should last a very long time.
Things to look out for are whether the nylon rack on the back of the column is in good condition and whether the sprung steel spring is in good condition and not cracked along its edges. To check that, move head all way down and you can see. Providing everything is working OK then yes its a very fine enlarger.

Durst made an undertaking to continue to supply spares for 10 years after discontinuatoin of any enlarger model. However, that was before they ceased production of enlargers altogether. The statement here (http://www.durst-online.com/stage1/index.php?id=8&language=2&detail=72)says they will continue to supply spares for some years yet, but I guess it depends on demand.

I have a CLS 501 head and am not familiar with a 400.

wfwhitaker
12-Dec-2006, 09:23
The Ilford 400 was the precursor to the more common 500 variable contrast head. I have one which has been modified to fit into a Durst 138. The controls are simpler than the 500 and offered, I believe, half-grade steps. (Of course, YMMV depending on the paper you use.) If it's in good condition, it should be usable. Bulbs (ELH?... not sure) should still be available. But don't expect to find other spare parts for it or service should it fail. It's been out of production for a long time.