PDA

View Full Version : Spotmeter - the first and only one.

Matus Kalisky
8-Dec-2006, 03:45
Hello,

I do like to use my Minotla 7D as a lightmeter for my Tachihara, but sometimes it is too much gear to be carried along for a trip or I have to keep hanging it on my neck during the shooting.

So - I started to think of a spotmeter - I have in mind some 1 degree spotmeter. If there would be an option of incident meter - I would not mind - but these tend to be rather large and expensive. If I would decide to go only with incident spotmeter, I would probably choose Gossen Digisix.

So what am I after: - spotmeter which shows the measured value in the viewfinder, is reliable and does not cost a fortune and possibly is not too heavy/large (if there is one). I could probably go for a Pentax Digital Spotmeter, but these go used for above $200.

What would be your advice - and why?

Just to mention - I shoot both positive and negative films with both positive and negative results.

Thanks

Matus

Martin D.
8-Dec-2006, 04:52
I would only buy a lightmeter that can do all; i.e. both incident and spot metering with a possibility of flash metering. You only want to carry one lightmeter with you. I would only consider one of the higher line Seconic meters. If possible, I prefer to use incident metering because I find it more reliable (in non extreme contrast conditions). Before I used almost exclusively spot metering and I learned the tricks, but with LF, you wanna be sure that both options are available to you in the field, hence the choice of a meter that can do both.

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2006, 05:09
I am too slow to figure out all the buttons on most meters. The Pentax Digital Spotmeter is absolutely simple and bulletproof -- very robust -- well worth the extra money that it costs. It will last a lifetime. No (modern) Gossen or Sekonic will.

Ted Harris
8-Dec-2006, 06:40
Well, while I totally agree on both the ease of use and the robustness of the Pentax Digital Spot it won't do what the OP asked, display all the info. BTW, my Pentax Digital Spot is somewhere around 20 years old and goings strong after much abuse ... been repaired once by Richard Ritter and that was only some loose wiring.

Back to Matus' question I see only two options (maybe a third) that don't climb into the price stratosphere. First, a used Gossen Ultraspot (first edition not the II model), a truly great meter whose only drawback is that it is larger than some 35mm cameras ... you see them on eBay on the 200 range. Second, a new Soligor with a house brand like Adorama or one of these used. Third one of the other off brand meters that are made in Russia.

There are others that are in the under 200 range but like the Pentax Digital you won't get a digital readout while holding the meter to your eye. FWIW, I use both the Pentax Digital with only the EI readout visable and the Sekonic L-778 which has a full readout. Frankly I don't pay much attention to the readout in the window of the Sekonic but after taking the reading tend to look at the numbers on the meter once I have taken it from my eye.

Nick_3536
8-Dec-2006, 06:56
While it's outside the price range. Anybody seen the new Sekonic 758DR? Claims to toast bread in addition to everything else.

Matus Kalisky
8-Dec-2006, 07:25
Thanks for all your advices.

By the "display" in the viewfinder I did not make myslef clear - the EI information would be enough - just to be able to compare different parts of the scene without taking eye from the viewfinder.

What about minotla spotmeters?

Bruce Watson
8-Dec-2006, 07:29
So what am I after: - spotmeter which shows the measured value in the viewfinder, is reliable and does not cost a fortune and possibly is not too heavy/large (if there is one). I could probably go for a Pentax Digital Spotmeter, but these go used for above $200.

What would be your advice - and why?

My advice is to pay the extra for the Pentax Digital Spotmeter, then send it to Calumet for the Zone VI modifications.

That's what I'm using. It's a simple, elegant solution. I hit my exposures right on the money probably 99.5% of the time and this meter is largely why. It's so consistent and reliable that I no longer burn a second sheet of film. I don't bracket. It's more than paid for itself just in film and processing savings.

It's so good it just becomes automatic. You don't have to think about it, it just works. And this allows you to give more concentration to making your art. And that is the real reason to use it.

BrianShaw
8-Dec-2006, 08:21
While it's outside the price range. Anybody seen the new Sekonic 758DR? Claims to toast bread in addition to everything else.

Holey Smokes! And all this time I thought my 558R would make toast... all I get is warm bread in comparison!

Ron Marshall
8-Dec-2006, 08:26
Another vote for the Pentax digital spotmeter. I was hesitant to spend so much money but I have never regretted the purchase. I appreciate its ease of use every time I use it.

Eric Biggerstaff
8-Dec-2006, 09:39
Matus,

Here is another vote for the Pentax digital spot, very simple to use and accurate. There is also the elegant little Pocket Spot from Metered Light, but they can take a while to get and you won't be able to find one used.

The downside is you will likely spend more than the $200 budget, the upside is that if you don't like the meter you will be able to resell it for what you paid ( and maybe a little more) on an auction site.

Good luck.

Brian Ellis
8-Dec-2006, 09:41
If all you want to do is read EVs for different parts of the scene the Pentax spot meter is IMHO the way to go. I'm like you, that's all I want from a meter - I don't use flash, I don't use incident, I just want to read EVs and easily translate them to exposures. That's all the Pentax digital spot meter does but it excels at that. I owned a Minolta Spotmeter F for a short time. It was a fine meter if you used flash, wanted the meter to tell you what exposures to use, etc. etc. In other words, if you wanted its features it was a great meter. But if you didn't want its features then all the buttons and options just made the meter unnecessarily complex.

A meter is one of the few things in photography that you can buy once and keep forever so if I were you I'd bite the bullet, spend the money, and get the best meter you can find (which, if I understand your needs correctly, is almost certainly the Pentax digital spot meter).

David Karp
8-Dec-2006, 10:01
To save money you could buy a used Pentax Analog spotmeter. I used one for years before I bought a digital spot. It is a bit clunkier and bigger, but it works fine. The only reason I bought the digital was because I wanted it, not because I needed to replace the analog.

Bob Gentile
8-Dec-2006, 10:14
"... To save money you could buy a used Pentax Analog spotmeter. I used one for years before I bought a digital spot..."I still use mine.

Patrik Roseen
8-Dec-2006, 10:17
I use an older Soligor Spot Meter II. This meter seems to come in different brands.

If you plan to use the spotmeter in circumstances of EV0-EV3 you should either get an analog meter where the needle is fixed when you release the button (to view it later against some light) or get a digital spotmeter.
The one I have does not freeze the needle and its so hard to read when its dark!

David Karp
8-Dec-2006, 10:46
I still use mine.

A great deal came along on a digital spotmeter that my late father-in-law had borrowed from a friend and used for a long time. His friend passed away, and he returned it to his widow. Later, when she remarried and was going through all of the old stuff, she found the meter and I offered to buy it.

If all that had not happened, I too would still be using the analog spotmeter.

Bob Gentile
8-Dec-2006, 15:00
"... If all that had not happened, I too would still be using the analog spotmeter..."
Understood. I may lust over the digital version, but unless a SUPER deal comes along, I just can't justify the expense.

FWIW, my other meter is a Weston Master II. These meters worked for me way back then and they still work for me now -- the physics of light hasn't changed all that much. But if I were buying one today, I opt for the digital.

Adam Kavalunas
8-Dec-2006, 16:32
I have to give my vote to the Pentax Digital Spotmeter as well. When i first started LF, i tried using a Minolta F. Then i had second thoughts about LF until i decied to buy a Pentax. What a joy to use. I got mine for 200 on ebay and i'm sure if you pay close attention, you could easily find a good deal on one. Simply put, its the biggest reason for success for me. Regarding the zone vi sticker, you can easily make one yourself as well. Just take a label, cut it down to size to fit, then put a scale on it like so -2 -1 0 +1 +2 and you've got yourself a home made sticker. Just take a meter reading and place that EV how you want it to look. Thats what i do and i understand it better than "zones". Plus it was free!!

Adam

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2006, 16:47
Getting the Zone VI conversion is nice but not absolutely necessary and you can always do it later if you decide it is worthwhile. I never bothered and it was very consistent and reliable.

The funny thing is that now I use a dSLR to meter for the same reason you say that you're looking at a spotmeter -- less to carry. I can't imagine not taking a dSLR along though.

Harley Goldman
8-Dec-2006, 16:50
Another vote for the Pentax digital spot. Simple, rugged, reliable and easy.

chilihead
8-Dec-2006, 17:50
Ive had my Pentax Digital spot for 15+ trouble free years, it also never seems to use up the battery! They are the best - keep it on a neck cord so it NEVER falls - and - keep it in your shirt breast pocket while shooting and the meter never will get cold!

C. D. Keth
8-Dec-2006, 18:38
I have a minolta digital spotmeter F and I love it. It does everything a spotmeter should and is very simple to use, even with gloves. As a bonus, it takes regular old double-As so the batteries are nice and cheap, and easy to find when you run out.

Helen Bach
8-Dec-2006, 18:50

I've had one for a few weeks. I made some brief comments on it here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21041) and here. (http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=799#post799)

Best,
Helen

Dave_B
8-Dec-2006, 21:08
As many others have, I recommend the Pentax Digital Spot Meter. While you can buy many other fine meters, you will keep buying meters until you get a Pentax. After you have that meter, you will never again wonder if you need something else. It is simply a classic that makes you happy every time you use it. The design and ergonometrics are wonderful and the calculator for aperature/shutter speed is simple and elegant. It is all you will ever need or want in a spot meter. Spend the bucks, you will never regret it. There is a good reason why used ones are not cheap.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Capocheny
8-Dec-2006, 23:01
To save money you could buy a used Pentax Analog spotmeter. I used one for years before I bought a digital spot. It is a bit clunkier and bigger, but it works fine. The only reason I bought the digital was because I wanted it, not because I needed to replace the analog.

Dave,

I agree... the analog version is very, very robust and serves the purpose well.

Bruce,

Calumet is not accepting any more Pentax Digital Spotmeters for conversion to the Zone VI version at the moment. Apparently, they're finding it difficult to obtain the necessary parts.

However, they're hoping to resume conversions once they've located a supply of the baffles and other items required.

Lastly, if you buy a new Pentax Digital Spotmeter... I've been told that they do not need to be sent in for conversion. Rumor has it that it comes as a Zone VI "stock" version and you can't tell from looking at it. Whether this is the case or not... I can't confirm it to be the case. Perhaps, someone else here knows for sure? :)

Matus,

Concerning the Minolta meters... they're a very nice meter and I've been using a Minolta Flashmeter III for many years. However, it's not a small meter and you have to attach the spot attachment, which adds to the bulk of the unit.

Secondly, keep in mind that Minolta is no longer making photographic gear. With that in mind, you might want to consider one of the other manufacturers such as Sekonic or invest a bit more and pick up the Pentax Spotmeter (either analog or digital.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd save up my sheckles and buy one of the Pentax units or a Sekonic. The Sekonic will allow you to do flash metering (for the future) as well as incident and reflected. I would hesitate going with the 558 or 608... :)

Good luck on the decision.

Cheers

neil poulsen
9-Dec-2006, 01:04
I've had my Pentax V digital spot meter (analog version of current digital meter) for almost 30 years and had to repair it once, about ten year ago. Has always worked great.

Arne Croell
9-Dec-2006, 04:28
Another vote for the Pentax digital and maybe the 2 meter approach; I've used mine for 13 years now without any problems. I started out with the Pentax analog, and it was fine, but switched to the digital because of the size. I also own a Gossen Starlite and it is a fine meter if you want to measure lots of different things (I've used it for measuring illumination brightness for instance), but in the field the Pentax is much more intuitive for me. Since a year I carry a Gossen Digiflash as backup for the Pentax (although as mentioned already, batteries in the Pentax last forever) and for the rare case I need incident or flash metering, its just the size of a thick cookie and doubles as alarm clock, timer, and thermometer.

Matus Kalisky
11-Dec-2006, 01:19
- all -

thanks for all your advices. I knew that Pentax Digital is a favourite one for many photographers - but I did not know that THAT MUCH.

Well - I feel somehow persuaded for the Pentax digital too. I was jut hoping that I will get by with something cheaper, as I would rather spare some mony for some 75 mm lens (I have nikkor in my mind). Maybe I just swat the order.

I see one problem here - Pentax digital spotmeter is beeing producet obviusly for manyu years already - so when I buy used I do not know wheter it is 2 or 20 years old. Price of new one ~ $450 is somewhat too high. Hey, I still use a black T-shirt instead of a darkcloath.

Anyhow - I am happy NOT to be fully aware of the expenses on the LF needed - otherwise I would have just bought a Mamyia 6 and would never experinece the beauty of LF.

thanks again. I have to go and reconsider the Christams presents for my family ;-)

Matus

Capocheny
11-Dec-2006, 02:19
- so when I buy used I do not know wheter it is 2 or 20 years old.Matus

Matus,

You're quite right... when buying used it's always a crap-shoot unless you buy form a very, very reliable seller.

That said, I would recommend the 558 or 608 Sekonic meters, which are much newer (relative to the analog Spotmeter.)

Good luck on the decision.

Cheers

Ben Chase
17-Dec-2006, 07:25
I have a Sekonic L-558.

Having the incident meter built it is a nice feature, though I rarely use it unless I can stand next to the subject I'm photographing.

Not sure how it compares to the Pentax spotmeter, but its metered all the shots you can see on my website!

Cheers,

Ben C

naturephoto1
17-Dec-2006, 07:40
I have been using one of the original Zone VI modified Soligor Digispot II meters since 1988. It has been quite reliable and accurate. I would not recommend dropping it or any other meter onto pavement. It reads out in 1/10 eV values as opposed to 1/3 for the Pentax. The Digispot II can be found new in various forms (at least has been under the Adorama name and Tundra??) in the past. They can be searched on line or purchased used on eBay for under $200.

Rich

roteague
17-Dec-2006, 10:31
I've had one for a few weeks. I made some brief comments on it here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21041) and here. (http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=799#post799)

Best,
Helen

Thanks Helen, I need a new spotmeter and was thinking of getting this one.

Jimi
17-Dec-2006, 12:25
I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but the Pentax Digital Spotmeter is great . After using and enjoying a few Gossen meters (Sixtar, Profi-Six) I've finally found what I was looking for all along. Only took me 8 years to find out. :D