PDA

View Full Version : Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

Rider
7-Dec-2006, 16:32
If you are traveling with both a large format and a 35mm camera, what is your preferred tripod head?

Josh Z.
7-Dec-2006, 16:54
I think more importantly it is what you are photographing. Not what camera you are using (of course the weight of the camera plays a role though). My ideal head for photographing landscapes is the geared Bogen 410. I use it for nearly all my landscape shots from 5x7 to P&S digital. However, if I'm photographing animals it's a bit too slow and not as flexible as a ball-head.

Also, given that it is a heavier head on a heavier tripod, I will sacrifice its precision and user-friendliness for a lightweight tripod/ball-head setup if I am just out walking through the woods with the 35mm. While it's nice to have a lighter tripod setup, I almost always wish I had the geared head and the bigger tripod.

Harley Goldman
7-Dec-2006, 19:48
Really Right Stuff BH-55.

cyrus
7-Dec-2006, 20:02
Taking only weight into consideration, I assume the only tripod for an LF camera is a LF camera tripod. There is no compromise possible, unless you want to risk your LF camera. You can pretty much use any LF camera tripod for 35mm - as long as the screw post fits.

Doug Dolde
7-Dec-2006, 20:06
I absolutely do not like the RRS BH55. I bought one because of all the hype but sold it off for an Arca Swiss B1.

Don't believe the hype.

Frank Petronio
7-Dec-2006, 20:56
Since turning into a Sinar junkie I use their pan-tilt head with an adapter for smaller formats that allows yaw movements. It looks strange and is very tall, but I only use a little dSLR with a short lens so I don't need the last word in rigidity when I am not using large format.

It is a great head though, small, robust handles yet very strong, firm, smooth...

If not using a Sinar I think I would go with the Gitzo 3-way low profile magnesium heads, like the #3 series. I'd stick an RRS/Arca clamp up there if I had a lot of cameras but if you only use 2 or 3 cameras the original thumbwheeled Gitzo screws work pretty darn well.

I used to swear by an Arca B1 and their plate system. Then I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid. It is good but far from perfect, it is more of a trend/status symbol than anything else IMHO.

Doug Dolde
7-Dec-2006, 21:19
Frank I bet you never drank any acid Koolaid.

David Karp
7-Dec-2006, 21:33
Depends on the LF camera. For my Walker Titan SF, Mamiya 645 and 35mm stuff, I use a lowly Manfrotto 3028 three way head, paired with a RRS arca adapter. It is inexpensive, lightweight, plenty sturdy for these cameras, and has large ratcheted handles that make it very easy to adjust the camera and lock it into place.

For my monorail, I use an older version Gitzo Rationelle 3 way head that is very rigid. I have used it with all of my cameras and it works well.

Ron Marshall
7-Dec-2006, 21:34
For travel the Acratech is light and compact and strong enough to handle a 4x5.

Jim Jones
7-Dec-2006, 21:48
My handiest tripod for 35mm and 4x5 is a Tiltall. It has been absolutely reliable for over 30 years. I sometimes use a B&J indoors for 4x5, and rarely a big Davis & Sanford for really big glass.

Randy Redford
7-Dec-2006, 22:22
For my money, you can't beat a Markins. I use mine for both 35mm and 8 x 10 and it holds both perfectly.

Brian Ellis
8-Dec-2006, 08:37
I absolutely do not like the RRS BH55. I bought one because of all the hype but sold it off for an Arca Swiss B1.

Don't believe the hype.

What was the hype that we shouldn't believe? I'm curious because last month I did the opposite of what you did. I sold my Arca Swiss B1 and replaced it with the RRS BH50 (which I believe is the smaller version of the 55). So far I like the BH50 very much though I've been using it with a heavy digital camera rather than LF. I sold the B1 for three reasons - it was heavier, it broke twice and had to be sent in for repairs at a cost of about $150 (once a part fell off on the first day of a week-long photography trip rendering the head useless, just a few months ago the tension adjuster stopped working and had to be replaced), and of course there was the well-known "freeze up" problem that also ruined a trip the first time it happened. After that I learned to keep a wrench in the car so I could fix it. In usage I don't see a whole lot of difference between it and the BH50 except I'm hoping the BH50 will be more reliable, it's lighter, and the clamp is easier to use than the B1 knob.

Bill Stice
8-Dec-2006, 08:57
My equipment in 35mm goes up to a 600 F4 lens and my 4 X 5 stuff is Sinar F1 and F2. I also do a lot of macro in 35mm and didn't want to carry two or three heads. It was suggested that I carry both a gimbel head and ball head. I settled on a Arca Swiss B1G which handles all of them with no problem. As far as the lock up problem with the Arca Swiss, I've owned three of them including the B1, and B1G and never had a problem with any of them.

Gordon Moat
8-Dec-2006, 10:07
I use Bogen/Manfrotto 3021N legs with a 3047 head. The only difference in using a 35mm camera on that instead of my 4x5, is that the 35mm gear gets a 1/4-20 threaded hex plate, while the 4x5 uses a 3/8 threaded hex plate. This is not a light tripod and head combination.

I also have some clamp pods, a minipod, and a monopod that I would not even think about using with a 4x5. Those all work nicely with smaller 35mm gear, but are not sturdy enough to handle a 4x5.

As a really odd item, I have considered getting a Fig Rig to mount my 4x5, then use that for hand held shots. While this would be an odd way to work, some recent fashion and lifestyle shots I have been doing are getting me to think more about such a set-up.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2006, 10:08
It really comes down to whether you like ball heads or 3-axis heads. While I loved the build quality of the Arca B1 ball, once you get beyond a light field camera it becomes harder to put the camera exactly where you want it, especially when you are lining up architectural edges. For 35mm and landscape it works great though.

The other factor is durability, especially for air travel with the tripod in checked baggage. The Arca is very nice in this respect, provided you use a padded head cover, as the knobs are small and less likely to get wacked off or bent. For the Gitzos I remove the long handles and they are very durable. The Bogen 410 I had seemed like it would be the most fragile and subject to dirt/grime getting into the gears...

Bill Koechling
8-Dec-2006, 11:56
Jim,

You are the first one I've come across that uses the Tiltall for both formats like I do. I've been doing that for 30+ years as well but had to get a new one a couple of years ago. I also got a Calumet tripod mostly so I could take some very low shots.

Bill

Brian Ellis
8-Dec-2006, 19:37
"The Bogen 410 I had seemed like it would be the most fragile and subject to dirt/grime getting into the gears..."

I've been using a 410 for about three years. So far its held up very well, no dirt or grime in the gears and no other problems.

Doug Dolde
8-Dec-2006, 19:45
Funny but I thought the BH55 was harder to adjust than the Arca B1. What I really want is one of those new Arca heads with the twist ring instead of a knob. Hope they become available soon.

Kirk Gittings
8-Dec-2006, 20:24
Bogen 329RC4

Ted Harris
8-Dec-2006, 20:31
It's been awhile but for a number of years I also used a Tiltall for both formats. It was in the 70's and it was the only tripod I owned that weighed less than 20 lbs. so I made do but in retrospect it did ok.

Capocheny
8-Dec-2006, 21:14
Rider,

I'll second and third the Manfrotto 410.

IMHO, the 410 is much more convenient for LF than for a 35mm. Conversely, a ball head would be more convenient for a 35mm than it is for a LF (depending on the LF camera, of course.)

Gads, a Tiltall... I've not thought about that tripod for many, many years. They were quite the pod back in their day and worked very well for both 35mm and medium format. I'd always remembered these pods as being very, very functional! :)

Ah, the memories of gear gone by! :)

Cheers

Dave_B
8-Dec-2006, 21:20
For 35mm, the Markins is a work of art. It is a joy to use. For LF where a ball head is a pain because of the heavy, unbalanced camera, I suggest a Bogen 405. With a stable tripod (I recommend a Gitzo 1325), the Bogen head allows you to get perfect framing of the shot with total control. I've bought a lot of tripod heads over the years but with these two, I'm done.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Bill_1856
8-Dec-2006, 21:23
Another vote for the Tiltall.

Eric James
8-Dec-2006, 23:58
My answer is the (newer, lock-up resistant) Arca Swiss B1 with quick release lever - it's lighter (by a Power Bar's weight) than the BH-55, and I trust the cleverly designed double safety QR lever; the BH-55 lever is wobbly, and more susceptible to inadvertent, gravity facilitated, mishaps. YMMV. The BH-55 is also bulkier.

I have a Kirk BH3 that I like - the tension control could be better but it's a pretty sweet ballhead for my 35mm lenses 180mm and shorter. I have taken sharp images with a 500mm f4 mounted, but under ideal conditions; furthermore, I never trusted the BH3 on G1228 leg set with my 4X5. If your LF rig is light and your lenses wide, a BH3 might do the trick.

Doug, I thought the new AS head was out there - I recall reading a thread that reported a panning base that wouldn't lock down securely - bummer if true. I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on one. I would also like to check out the newer Arcatech head, but for now the AS B1 is great...and I can do without another Power Bar in the pack.

GlennS
9-Dec-2006, 00:33
Yet another happy long time Tiltall user. :) It sees action holding everything from 35mm to 4x5 Technika.

Sheldon N
9-Dec-2006, 09:21
My answer is the (newer, lock-up resistant)
I have a Kirk BH3 that I like - the tension control could be better but it's a pretty sweet ballhead for my 35mm lenses 180mm and shorter. I have taken sharp images with a 500mm f4 mounted, but under ideal conditions; furthermore, I never trusted the BH3 on G1228 leg set with my 4X5. If your LF rig is light and your lenses wide, a BH3 might do the trick.

I'll second that. I love my Kirk BH-3 for 35mm and MF work, and it was useable for 4x5 with my wood field camera. It really is a nice ballhead and would be a good choice if you plan to be traveling a lot and weight is a concern.

I have since upgraded to a Markins M20, so my Kirk BH-3 is for sale. I paid $255 but I'll let it go for $200. It's in pristine shape.

Send me a PM if interested.

Rider
9-Dec-2006, 10:04
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

I think the observation that it depends on the subject rather than the camera is probably true in my case. I already have a Kirk ballhead (I think it's the BH-1) that I paid a lot for when I first got into 35mm, and a heavy-duty 3-way tilt head from Calumet that I paid peanuts for. Both heads could be used with either my 35mm or the Wisner field camera. The ballhead is (1) easier to pack and lighter, but sturdy enough and (2) quicker but the 3-way is more precise and deliberate. I'm going to have to pack both of them for my next trip, and see which one gets more use.

One question on the BH-1: the plates I have for it are all metal and could easily scratch the wood on the bottom of the Wisner. Do you know if padded plates are made for this type of quick release ball head?

Richard Årlin
9-Dec-2006, 10:32
I used to take my NPC Prohead and an old Gizo... or even an old geared Linhof, why not change to a Berlebach wooden 8033 like I did (integrated large ballhead) or 9033 slightlylonger folded, strong, light and cheap

Richard

Harley Goldman
9-Dec-2006, 11:56
Interesting to see the different opinions on the ballheads. Kind of like opinions on cameras, all over the place. I have owned a Gitzo (all-around terrible head), Kirk BH-3, Acratech Ultimate and RRS BH-55 and BH-40. The Kirk would not tighten on the pan screw tight enough to hold and did not hold my camera pointing down (creep) or walking around over my shoulder. The Acratech held super tight, but had a huge amount of flex in it when my bellows was extended at all. The RRS BH-55 holds rock solid, has no flex and based on my experience, is an ideal head. I never think about it when using it. It just does what I want it to do. The BH-40 (backpacking and air travel head for 1127 tripod) is not nearly as solid, but does a good job.

It is great to hear the different perspectives on the same product. Like most things, you have to try them yourself and judge for yourself.

Bob Gentile
9-Dec-2006, 16:10
I'm surprised that folks use a Tiltall for LF. I've used mine since the 60's for 35mm, but never thought to use it when I moved into 4x5. I just assumed it wouldn't fill the bill, so I bought something much heavier.

But now, on second thought, it would probably do just fine. Hmmm.