PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new RA4 printing methods

Stpephen Willlard
27-Apr-2000, 18:05
I am investigating easier and faster ways of doing RA4 color printing. Currently , I am using the JOBO CPP-2 tube processor and find it to be too much work. It would be nice to purchase a fully automatic paper processor such as a Fujimoto c p51 or the JOBO ATL 2500, but I am not willing to spend that much at this time. I am looking at purchasing a Jobo Nova system for processing up to 16x20 print s, and then doing the 20x24 prints on my CPP-2 using the 3063 tube. I sell abou t three times as many 16x20s as I do 20x24s. Has anybody had any experience wit h the Novas? Here are some of my concerns:

1. The temperature at the top of the vertical slots will be different then at th e bottom. This will result in uneven development of the paper.

2. My darkroom actually resides in an outside closet that is heated by a space h eater so ambient temperatures will vary widely.

3. With the JOBO tube processor I use fresh chemistry with each shoot. This has resulted in repeatable predictable printing. How do you manage replenishing wit h a slot processor? Is processing repeatable?

I am also open to any other possibilities except for labs because I can never ge t the quality I need.

~ ~

David Payumo
28-Apr-2000, 09:19
Jobo makes a room temperature color negative printing chemistry kit. Ctein in the book Post Exposure said it works good. I've never tried it. The best think to do is look for a lab rental. Another think to do is look for the best color printing lab around. It doesn't have to be a lab. It maybe a school. I plan to use my school's color lab after I graduated school by taking one their continuing education courses. If a local school has nice printing facilities take one of their courses. Color printing is a little toxic and processing control of chemistry as well as the machine is a full time job. After printing color negative paper and having it come in 5 minutes, dry to dry, has made me impatient to actually buy a color processor for home use. A nice print processor is a huge device that are really meant to be used in a lab. However I know this advice might not be directing answer your question. Directly, I think a tabletop processor dry to dry process is the best route. Replenishment is usually done by just add new chemicals into the various solutions in your machines. I think some of the older chemicals are remove to keep the same volume.