PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for Peter Gowland!

CR Roberts
24-Nov-2006, 14:45
I talked with Peter Gowland the other day to place a parts order (I'm "accessorizing" my 4x5 Gowland Pocket View). During the course of our very pleasant conversation I mentioned how happy I am with my hand-built camera and how honored I was to be speaking with him (he is a legendary figure, after all).

He seemed geniunely touched by my comment and expressed shy surprise that "anybody wants one of my cameras anymore".

Y'know, I think every one of us who owns a Gowland camera should drop him a line or give him a call to let him know how much we admire him, his work and his craftsmanship. He is one heck of a nice guy and deserves it, dontcha think?

Craig
Washington, DC

John Hannon
24-Nov-2006, 15:05
I recently ordered one of his books which he was very kind to autograph for me. His web site is very interesting and he has done so many great things for Photography.

Craig, I am jealous. I wish I had one of the Gowland cameras!

--John

Ted Harris
24-Nov-2006, 15:14
I consider myself honored that Peter and Alice think of me as a friend. I know I consider them dear friends. I once told him that if I could 'adopt' parents it would be them. They are both remarkable people and his contribution to photography is enormous.

If you want a Gowland camera you can still buy some of them new directly from Peter and they are frequently available on eBay.

The best thing any of us can do to honor Peter is to mark our calendars and remember to send him a "Happy 91st Birthday" card in April (Peter was born on April 3rd, 1916).

Frank Petronio
24-Nov-2006, 15:46
They are a class act all the way around.

Oren Grad
24-Nov-2006, 16:07
I had occasion to be in touch with Peter this week for the first time in many years (here's why (http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/11/big-camera.html)). He's great...

David A. Goldfarb
24-Nov-2006, 16:40
I was amazed the first time Peter called me himself at my office just to double check some details on a simple order for a few parts for my 8x10" PocketView--a real gentleman.

John Kasaian
24-Nov-2006, 17:56
I agree completely!

jnantz
24-Nov-2006, 18:39
i had the pleasure of talking to the gowlands about a year ago.
i had come across a "modified" gowland tlr on ebay, and asked him
for advice regarding the camera ... we talked about me buying it, and
he would re-build it for me ... the deal fell through, but the best part of "the deal"
was getting a chance to talk to him and his wife, what nice folks!

john

walter23
27-Nov-2006, 10:20
The best thing any of us can do to honor Peter is to mark our calendars and remember to send him a "Happy 91st Birthday" card in April (Peter was born on April 3rd, 1916).

91! And still making his cameras. Helluva guy.