PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy for thinking about a Majestic?

Jim Rice
21-Nov-2006, 18:48
My J-100 Ries was always the perfect tripod under the 4x5 Wisner Tech. Now that I have an exclusive relationship with a Calumet C-1 I'm having my doubts. While I'm working on an intermediate platform to better mate the round crown of the J-100 (sans head) with the rectangular tripod block of the C-1 it is beginning to seem like a kludge. It seems obvious that the C-1 was made for a Majestic (or vice-versa). I'm thinking the whole Chicago karma thing may be unduly influencing me as well.
So, am I nuts here?

Frank Petronio
21-Nov-2006, 18:53
The finest Heavy Metal American Midwest Industrial Design. Would you like a set of Speedotrons to go with that?

Or just a regular supply of Steroids?

Jim Rice
21-Nov-2006, 18:57
I'm also thinking about a baby jogger. Just the thing to heave those fat-asses around the quarter. Did i mention the 360 Sironar?

Jim Rice
21-Nov-2006, 19:09
And some Speedos would be pretty cool. Jus' sayin'.

Jay DeFehr
21-Nov-2006, 19:21
I use a majestic with my Deardorff, but I don't carry it far. I even have the dolly for it! I have an old studio camera that works well with the Majestic, as well, and allows the use of really long FL lenses.

Jay

Capocheny
21-Nov-2006, 20:06
I HAD a Majestic for my Dorff 8x10 as well but got rid of it... just way, way too HUGE to lug very far.

My replacement was a Manfrotto 475 with a 405 geared head. It's plenty heavy as well but lighter than the Majestic.

The next pod will most likely be either a Gitzo 1325 or a Berlebach! :)

Cheers

John Kasaian
21-Nov-2006, 22:57
Metal on metal looks nice. I say go with the majestic--you won't be traveling far from the car (but hey, you won't back packing anyway with that green monster!) but you'll look way cool and you'll have a platform worthy of your C-1

Kirk Fry
22-Nov-2006, 01:15
I have one. If you want something SOLID, they can't be beat. Get the geared head with the aircraft carrier plate on the top. Strap it to a hand pull golf cart and drag it around.
I weighed mine, it is 19 pounds.

Frank Petronio
22-Nov-2006, 05:30
Jim. really a Gitzo carbon fiber 1228 is more than adequate. I am sure someone will come along and claim they use their 7x17 Ebony on one with no problems ;)

I was just at my friend's large commericial studio. On the rack were two large #5 Gitzos and two Majestics -- he uses the majestics for the things he need SOLID.

Ted Harris
22-Nov-2006, 06:34
Frank's got it. Bolted to the end of the camera beam on my studio stand is a Majestic head. I wouldn't consider anything else for the Horseman L frame monorail, especiually when it is extended for macro or portrait work. OTOH I really can't conceive of taking a Majestic head into the field. However, back when the only camera I owned was a Linhof Kardan Color S and it used to go out into the field it did so mounted on some sort of a monster pod with monster head unless I was traveling by air. When taking a pod in an airplane then (I am talking 1960's & early '70's) I would usually take my Tiltall and pray that it would do the job. Usually it did.

Jim Rice
23-Nov-2006, 20:11
John has the karma thing down pat.

neil poulsen
23-Nov-2006, 22:56
The Calumet 8x10 is an excellent camera, except for the weight. I had one, and I have a Linhof tripod that can support it. But as much as I liked the camera, I decided to sell it. Just too heavy.

I bought a 2D Kodak. Not nearly the camera, no front tilt, and a max of about a 2" rise. But, it's light weight. And, I don't really need all the same movements (proportionately) for 8x10, especially considering the coverage of my lenses.

It was a worthwhile trade. Again, if one can carry it, the Calumet is an excellent camera for picture taking.