PDA

View Full Version : Campgrounds close to Sagauro NP?

Josh Z.
20-Nov-2006, 22:21
I'm thinking about spending this upcoming holiday at Saguaro NP. Does anyone have any campground recomendations that is good for tents (few RVs) and close to the park?

Thanks.

QT Luong
20-Nov-2006, 23:42
Right next to the West unit, there is a decent campgrouund.

Eric Woodbury
21-Nov-2006, 10:35
QTL is right. It is just a little east of the West Saguaro NP. I think I see it on the google satellite photo, but the map doesn't show it. It's a regional or city campground. I've stayed there a couple of times and altho it has been a bunch of years, it was empty when I was there. Ground is pretty rocky, so take a pad if you are sleeping on the ground.

Hiro
21-Nov-2006, 12:37
I think the site mentioned is the Gilbert Ray Campground in Tucson Mountain Park.
http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/places/parkpgs/gil_ray/index.htm
Also Catalina State Park to the north and some backcountry sites in Saguaro East.

I'll be in the Tucson area during the holidays, too, although I'm spending much time in Chiricahua and Organ Pipe Cactus NM's. I'll give a holler if I see someone with LF in Saguaro.

Eric Woodbury
21-Nov-2006, 13:22
Hiro
The campground at Chiricahua must be the coldest one I've ever been to. It sits in the shade of that mountain and in the winter I don't think it gets above freezing. Take you woolies.

Hiro
21-Nov-2006, 15:28
Eric,
Thanks for the warning. I realized it's pretty high up around 7,000 ft, so I'm not camping at least this time (yeah, I'm a wimp, too). Some earthly comfort should be forgiven for the Thanksgiving weekend.