PDA

View Full Version : Building a neg carrier for Epson 4990

Robert Brummitt
11-Nov-2006, 21:55
Hello.
A friend has asked me to scan his 5x7 color negs for him. I have use of a Epson 4990 scanner. How do I build a neg carrier for it and what materials. Any and all suggestions would be helpful at this time.

Ron Marshall
11-Nov-2006, 22:44
Get a piece of thick black matboard and cut it the same size and shape as the supplied neg-carrier, with a centered window, sized for a 5x7 neg. Stack several smaller pieces of mat on top, also having windows. Test to determine the number of layers of mat required to achieve the optimal distance for best sharpness. Tape the neg to the top piece of matboard.

Robert Brummitt
12-Nov-2006, 00:28
Get a piece of thick black matboard and cut it the same size and shape as the supplied neg-carrier, with a centered window, sized for a 5x7 neg. Stack several smaller pieces of mat on top, also having windows. Test to determine the number of layers of mat required to achieve the optimal distance for best sharpness. Tape the neg to the top piece of matboard.

Can I use Gator board or formcore? It's alot stronger and firmer then matt board.

PViapiano
12-Nov-2006, 01:12
Just lay the film down on the glass, emulsion down. Tape it in place with low-tack 3M blue tape...works great!

Frank Petronio
12-Nov-2006, 02:19
The depth of field is enough to get a decent scan flat on the glass in most cases, although it would be worth experimenting to find the optinal height if you were doing a lot of scanning. But if you need help rationalizing your laziness, remember that when the film is on the glass it is flatter. Maybe with Newton's Rings but if you do a quick Windex wipe or just try rescanning you can chase those nasty rings around (or even away).

The most important thing is to mask the edges or you'll get flare.

Remigius
12-Nov-2006, 03:36
laying the film down on the glass often brings newton rings, as i experienced last night (precisely scanning 5x7 on a 4990). i got some apx 100 negs that are quite glossy even on the emulsion side. also i would not like to use tape on my negs. i think the cardboard thing is a good approach. when you think about how many times you have to rescan due to newton rings, this holds even regarding the lazyness economics.

Walter Calahan
12-Nov-2006, 06:26
Lay negative on the scanner window, with emulsion up, and lay a plate of anti-newton ring glass on top. I bought my glass here: http://www.fpointinc.com/

Kevin Klazek
12-Nov-2006, 08:49
I made my own neg carriers for my 4870 scanner from thin sheets of lexan. I had some from a picture frame that was about the same thickness as the Epson carriers. I traced the stock carrier for size then cut the lexan sheet carefully with a razor knife. I scan with emulsion down and use blue low tack masking tape to hold the neg in place. Works great and no newton rings.

Ron Marshall
12-Nov-2006, 09:00
Can I use Gator board or formcore? It's alot stronger and firmer then matt board.

Use anything that works. Glue the matboard together once you have decided on the height, or just use enough to give you roughly the same height as the stock holder; that is about the optimal height on mine. The change in sharpness, at least on mine, is very small.

Brian Ellis
13-Nov-2006, 00:39
You don't need a holder, just lay the film on the glass. That's how the 4990 is designed to be used with 8x10 negatives and 5x7 shouldn't be any different. I've made quite a few 8x10 scans that were fine just by laying the negative on the glass. I haven't used anti-newton glass.