PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix trip planning---any ideas?

John Kasaian
8-Nov-2006, 02:55
I might have an afternoon to myself to explore with the speed graphic. Are there any locations around Anthem to explore? We'll be going to Sedona but we'll be with friends and probably not have the time for LF :(

Also, do you know of any good restaraunts in Phoenix (or Anthem) where we can take our hosts? From what I've heard, Anthem isn't zoned for anything other than national chains, so I'd prefer a real 'mom and pop' joint over someplace like Outback or Marie Callenders.

Thanks!

Alan Rabe
8-Nov-2006, 05:45
Anthem is on the north end of town. It is in the foothills, you will be surrounded by photo ops. Black canyon is just to the north. A real treat will be a drive to Crown King, that is if you have a tough car, the road is pretty rough. There are a couple ghost towns on the way, before the road gets rough, and a working silver mine and a real old west style bar at the top. Also just past Crown King is Horse Thief Basin. It's at about 5000 feet and is a pretty nice place to visit.
As to resturants, one of the local favorites is a mexican resturant called the Tee Pee on Indian River near 40th street.

Mark Sampson
8-Nov-2006, 07:29
Two places not to be missed:Taleisin West in Scottsdale, and Arcosanti (on the way to Sedona).

jackies
8-Nov-2006, 19:27
There is also Superstition Mountain east of Mesa and a Pioneer Village museum north of Phoenix.

Jackie

Donald Miller
9-Nov-2006, 14:13
If you're into some more rugged terrain, I would recommend the Apache Trail which will take you past Superstition Mountain and eventually up to Roosevelt.

paulr
9-Nov-2006, 14:28
Pizzeria Bianco.

I've never been, but if you go, please post a report!
http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2004/07/from_the_woodfi.php

Alan Rabe
9-Nov-2006, 18:14
THe Apache trail is an all day trip. The Superstitions will take most of a day to investigate. Plus it is a good 1 and a half hour drive to both from were you will be.
Way to much for a posible afternoon.

Juergen Sattler
9-Nov-2006, 18:15
I live in Northern Scottsdale - about 5 miles from Anthem. If you only have limited time then I would suggest either the town of Cave Creak, Cave Creak State Park or Lake Pleasant Sate Park. The Superstition mountains are great but it is too far for just an afternoon. The same is true for Crown King - it is easily 110 miles roundtrip and about 70 of those are on dirt road - so going is pretty slow.

John Kasaian
15-Nov-2006, 20:08
Thanks for all the suggestions. I found out that I'll have the use of a suburban for a day trip so the Crown King trip sounds tempting---so does pizzaria bianco and the Tee Pee! Thanks once again!

Jim Ewins
16-Nov-2006, 00:09
The Heard Museum's grounds are lovely.

Alan Rabe
16-Nov-2006, 08:44
John, thats great you'll have a solid vehicle. Just for reference. From Anthem if you look to the NorthWest, The mountains you see is where Crown King is. If you go on thru Crown King and follow the road you'll hit Horse Thief Basin rec area. Graet place to hike around and has great views of the valley, Including Anthem itself.

evan clarke
16-Nov-2006, 10:52
When I was in metro Phoenix in October 2005 about the only thing that really attracted me was the Tovrea Castle. Unfortunately ther was a huge renovation program going on, the roads were torn up. It is an interesting property...EC

DavidFisk
16-Nov-2006, 14:49
I might have an afternoon to myself to explore with the speed graphic. Are there any locations around Anthem to explore? We'll be going to Sedona but we'll be with friends and probably not have the time for LF :(

Also, do you know of any good restaraunts in Phoenix (or Anthem) where we can take our hosts? From what I've heard, Anthem isn't zoned for anything other than national chains, so I'd prefer a real 'mom and pop' joint over someplace like Outback or Marie Callenders.

Thanks!

If you don't have time in Sedona for the LF, consider taking a hand-held (any format) camera and splurging on a helicopter flight over the area. Arizona Helicopters seems to be the primo service provider.

John Kasaian
20-Nov-2006, 08:31
:eek: Arrrgh! The kids are sucking on Pedialyt popscicles in between the barfing (get the mop, Suzelle!) We'll have to back out of this trip, but thank you all for the suggestions---when we finaly do get to Phoenix I'll check out as many as I can--they all sound really neat.