PDA

View Full Version : carbon tripod for 8x10

Vincent Malaud
7-Nov-2006, 02:02
Hello,

I have not yet an 8x10 camera but I am really thinking of getting one. I use hasselblad and a graflex and was thinking of replacing my tripod.

The question is do you thing the Gitzo G1348 is enough for an 8x10 like Shen hao?? or shall I go for the G1548 ?

Thanks for your comments,

Vincent

Walter Calahan
7-Nov-2006, 05:26
For 8x10, the larger the better. Don't know the G1348, but if it has a center column hook to hang a weight, that's good.

I prefer a solid wood Ries tripod for 8x10 with a double tilt head.

You want so beef under a large camera even if it weighs less than 10 lbs. (have no idea how heavy that is in kilos). Why? Wind can move a lighter but bulky camera that has a lot of surface area to catch moving air.

Jim Rhoades
7-Nov-2006, 06:44
I agree with Walter. It is not so much the weight of an 8x10 as it is the sail area of the bellows. A undersize carbon tripod will be fine under perfect conditions. In the real world, wind and stuff happens. The 1500 series will handle the weight but...

There is a very good reason why so many of us love our Ries tripods. Faster to set up and use too.

Frank Petronio
7-Nov-2006, 07:04
I like Gitzos but a wood tripod would look nicer with a Shen. Maybe on of those less expensive German Wolfs (Sp?) that are sorta like a Ries, in the same way that a Shen is sorta like an Ebony?

Rory_5244
7-Nov-2006, 07:06
I'll disagree completely and say go for a G1228. :D

It works great. Wind doesn't phase it, or blow it over with the slightest puff. In any case, if your camera bellows is vibrating in the wind, the picture will still be affected even if you had the camera mounted and mortared in concrete. And the best reason to use a G1228: it just irritates everyone here when someone mentions it. :)

tim atherton
7-Nov-2006, 09:01
I find the Gitzo 1325 works just fine with my 8x10's (okay they are light - 5+ and 8+ lbs - but I've also used it with a Dorff). Get a nice used Gitzo low profile pan and tilt head to go with it

The cameras are heavy enough as it is, without a monster tripod

Brian Ellis
7-Nov-2006, 13:03
I'm not familiar with either of the tripods you mention so I can't comment on them except to suggest you go for whichever is the lightest. The worst tripod in the world is the one you leave at home because it's so heavy you hate carrying it.

Different people have different views on this but FWIW I don't subscribe to the notion that you must carry around a heavy tripod for an 8x10 camera just because a wind might come up. Frankly with the small apertures often needed to gain depth of field with 8x10 lenses you're going to have trouble with a strong wind no matter what you do. A heavy tripod won't stop the bellows from flapping or the foliage from moving. And for every minute I spend trying to photograph in a strong wind I spend hours carrying the tripod. I'll take my chances with the wind and in return I'll take a light weight tripod any day. I have a Gitzo 1325 that I used when I had a Deardorff and it worked fine so you might consider it if the two you mention don't work out.

Capocheny
7-Nov-2006, 23:45
I use a Manfrotto 475 studio tripod with a 405 head on it. It's certainly a hefty tripod but it's as sturdy as The Rocky Mountains. Having lugged it around on a number of shoots... I'm thinking of using it strictly in a studio environment.

[My back is fluttering in anticipation and gratitude! :)]

The tripods I'm now considering for field work is either the Gitzo 1325 or the Berlebach 3022 wooden model.

I'll be using one of these models to hold a 8x10 Deardorff. So, all of these models will hold your Shen-Hao with absolutely no problems at all.

Price wise, the Gitzo 1325 is quite a bit more expensive than the Berlebach.

Cheers

Vincent Malaud
8-Nov-2006, 01:31
Thanks for your comments. I agree with Brian (to quote “The worst tripod in the world is the one you leave at home because it's so heavy you hate carrying it”). Therefore I thought carbon was the best deal but when you think of it, it is really expensive compare to wood tripods (except Ries!!).
I might go for the german tripods Wolfs mentioned by Frank… Thanks I will save some money :)

Frank Petronio
8-Nov-2006, 05:47
If you think about it, those expensive Carbon tripods may well have been wood. A hundred million years ago.

Ed Richards
8-Nov-2006, 05:54
The difference in weight between a 3 series gitzo carbon and metal is really not very much, certainly not for an 8x10 kit, if money is an issue. I have a 4 section 3 series metal, which lets me pack it in a smaller space for traveling and carrying in a pack. The advantage over the carbon is it has removable feet so I could add spikes - they really help in some cases. I bought a used 5 series telestudex to shoot over fences - extends to 8 feet and is still stable. Weighs 12 pounds or so, but I find that I use it all the time if I do not have to go too far because it is so comfortable to work on a tripod that does not move if you bump it.

Tim Brazelton
8-Nov-2006, 06:41
It depends on your intended use. I shoot landscapes almost exclusively, sometimes in steep terrain and often far from the car. For this type of shooting, I've settled on the G1348 with an Arca B1 head as my primary tripod. It can hold an Arca 8x10 fine and can hold the camera plus 20-30 lbs of weights hanging from the center column if it is well balanced (i.e., so the weight is distributed evenly over all 3 legs). However, I've found that with the 8x10, is is quite rare to have a level of wind that requires weights. It's either too windy to use the 8x10 or it's not windy and you don't need the weights. The light weight of the G1348, however, does make it easier for wind gusts to blow your camera/tripod over. After a few heart-stopping observations of the upwind tripod leg lifting up in unexpected wind gusts, I now hook a strap from my camera backpack on the upwind/uphill leg if there is any chance of wind. I also have an older aluminum Gitzo that extends to over 100" (similar to G1504) and is quite heavy. I haven't found much increased camera stability with this heavy tripod although on several occasions when shooting on steep hillsides the 100" extension on the downhill leg has been essential.

Also, if you're going to be using longer lenses (and therefore have more bellows in the wind), I've found that two smaller tripods (like the G1348) attached to each rail end are often better than one heavy tripod. And having a smaller lighter tripod around is essential when you have to do a long hike or run that 1/2 mile from the car to catch a shot.

If I had to do it again instead of having two G1348 and a monster aluminum tripod, I'd probably just get one G1348 and one taller but lighter carbon tripod like the G1548GT.

Walter Calahan
8-Nov-2006, 17:18
So I just looked into the case in which I store my non-LF tripods. I pulled out my Gitzo G1348 mk2 tripod with a Linhof head. I put my Canham light weight 8x10 camera on it.

Ain't no way I'd shoot with that tripod with my 8x10. Sure it can hold it, but as I said about wind (not that I shoot in the wind when my bellows is blowing around) if a sudden gust of wind hit my camera I don't think I'd trust this tripod without hanging a weight from the center hook. If you've got to carry a weight around to make this tripod secure, then get a heavier tripod to start with.

And Frank, billions of years ago a Carbon Tripod was probably cooking away in a star.

George Stewart
8-Nov-2006, 20:40
I use both the 1549 (w/ Arca Swiss B2) and the 1349 (w/ RRS BH55). If I'm shooting from the car or walking a distance, with the 8x10, the 1549 is the one. If I travel by air or am hiking long distances I'll take the 1349. I've used the 1349 with 8x10 and a 600mm lens in wind and gotten fine results. My recommendation is the heavier the better, all else being equal.

C. D. Keth
13-Nov-2006, 08:41
Perhaps for potentially nasty excursions you might carry an empty bag to stick some rocks in and hang from the tripod?

Chris_Brown
20-Nov-2006, 21:54
Okay, a little off-topic, but I don't understand why someone would use a Ries model A 100-2 tripod (http://www.riestripod.com/tripod.htm) instead of a Gitzo G1504. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=GIG1504&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=170826) The Gitzo is almost three pounds lighter (without a head), and goes up to 99" high (without a center column) -- almost 3 feet higher than the Ries. The Ries holds up to 60 lbs. compared to the 45 lbs of the Gitzo, but both those specs will hold any 8x10 camera.

I don't get it. What's the attraction to wood?

Frank Petronio
20-Nov-2006, 22:37
They go with wooden cameras.

Now why anyone would want a wooden camera is beyond me, but if you're crazy enough to spend thousands of dollars on a wooden box, then you probably want the tripod to "look nice" too.

Some people still buy spats too.

Eric Leppanen
20-Nov-2006, 23:09
My Gitzo 1329 tripod and Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead have served me well with my 8x10 wood field camera (Ebony). Rather than go the heavy tripod route (which would limit me to use near the car), I use the relatively light 1329 and a long lens support arm (also very light weight) as needed for additional stability. The long lens support arm clamps to the front leg of the tripod, and supports the front standard. This setup (along with a golf umbrella windbreak and long rubber bands to fix the front and rear standards in place) has worked well for me for the last three years, even in light to moderate winds. When using very long lenses (such as a 1200mm telephoto) I'll use a second tripod to support the front standard, and the long lens support arm to support the rear.

In strong winds, I think you're dead no matter what you do, unless the wind is cyclical and the occasional lull allows you enough time to take your photographs. Otherwise the only hope is to set up behind a very large object (car, rock wall, etc.) as a windbreak.

vinny
20-Nov-2006, 23:47
I'll also vouch for the gitzo 1325. It doesn't take long to set up and holds my 8.7 lb camera very well. You don't need a center column to hang a weight either. Replace the 3/8 bolt with a 3/8 eye bolt with a nut fitted as a depth stopper. Screw that into your head and you can hang a waterproof water bag from the camping store to it filled with rocks, sand, water, or beer bottles.

tim atherton
21-Nov-2006, 08:18
Replace the 3/8 bolt with a 3/8 eye bolt with a nut fitted as a depth stopper. Screw that into your head and you can hang a waterproof water bag from the camping store to it filled with rocks, sand, water, or beer bottles.

Hurts like hell though....

sanking
21-Nov-2006, 10:21
Hello,

I have not yet an 8x10 camera but I am really thinking of getting one. I use hasselblad and a graflex and was thinking of replacing my tripod.

The question is do you thing the Gitzo G1348 is enough for an 8x10 like Shen hao?? or shall I go for the G1548 ?

Thanks for your comments,

Vincent

Have a look at the Giotto 8160 carbon fiber tripod. Holds up to 22 lbs and modestly priced at $260 from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=296578&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Sandy King

Richard Wasserman
21-Nov-2006, 11:13
I've become a fan of Linhof tripods. I recently bought a used twin shank tripod for not too much money that I'm using with a 7x17 camera, and it would very nice with an 8x10. It only weighs about 7 pounds, has retractable rubber/spike feet, and is very sturdy.

Jack Flesher
22-Nov-2006, 09:37
I own both the Gitzo 1325 and 1548 carbon fiber pods. The 1548 is more rigid, but also quite a bit heavier. So I end up using the 1325 with Arca B2 head more often and find it supports my older 14-pound Arca 8x10 just fine in the field.