PDA

View Full Version : How do you flatten large prints from a roll?

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
3-Nov-2006, 03:15
Basic question. Would much appreciate the collective wisdom of the group?

Scott Davis
3-Nov-2006, 03:36
assuming you're talking about a finished print, if you have access to a drymount press larger than your print, that would be ideal. If you're talking prints that are bigger than the largest drymount press you have access to, sandwich the prints between two sheets of mat board, which you sandwich between two sheets of 1" furniture-grade hardwood, and then put a stack of phonebooks and other heavy materials on top, evenly distributed over the entire surface. That's the budget option. If you have some cash, a nice 3/4" or 1" solid aluminum plate will work beautifully. Put the prints on top of a sheet of clean mat board, and then put the aluminum plate on top. Let them sit for a day or two.

MJSfoto1956
3-Nov-2006, 04:52
Basic question. Would much appreciate the collective wisdom of the group?

There are suppliers of specialty "de curlers" that use a plastic slip-sheet and a small-radius metal tube that allows you to place your curled inkjet print in, then roll the print around the tube (the plastic slip-sheet allows the print to move slightly as it is rolled around the diameter). When you hold the print in place for 1 minute or so and flip it around and repeat the process, the result is a flat piece of paper.

I have one of these puppies and it works like a charm -- as I'm traveling right now, I can't recall the brand, but when I get back I'll look it up.

Note: I recall it was somewhat expensive given the low-tech nature of the beast: around $300 or so. But I have to say, I'd readily buy it again as it works so well.

Michael Gordon
3-Nov-2006, 08:54
D-Roller is the expensive version Mr. Sullivan describes. Using recycled materials (likely from your own stock) you can make your own d-roller for a few pence. It's what I did and do.

false_Aesthetic
4-Nov-2006, 06:22
PVC TUBING.
Tracign Paper or other thin buffer paper.

Roll it up. Then let it go. Just be careful not to wrinkle the print.

If you have time, its safer to just make prints and let them lie on top of each other for a week or 2. They loose their curl.

T.