PDA

View Full Version : Color Conversion Filters with Color Negative Film?

Lazybones
1-Nov-2006, 22:52
Say you're shooting in the open shades, or perhaps a little bit after sunset when/where things are looking quite cool in color. Not appealing cool, just kind of "icky murky color-cast" cool. Now imagine that you are shooting color negative material in such a situation. Do you:

A. Shoot with no filter, and deal with the color later.
*or*
B. Filter at the time of exposure.

Garbage in, garbage out? Need the extra density that correctly exposing through the filter provides?

Kirk Gittings
1-Nov-2006, 23:01
A, I do it every week a few times and correct the color in the scans. For many years I did the same with C prints from negatives.

Walter Calahan
2-Nov-2006, 05:21
Depends on how much time you have to filter as the light is changing rapidly in the post sunset time frame. Also depends on how much you want to deal with filter factors in calculating your exposure as the light is disappearing.

If you were using transparency film, I'd say filter, but with color negative film, I try for a well exposed negative and correct in scanning. It's not garbage in or out; it's using K.I.S.S. theory so I can concentrate on seeing so the image is worth looking at when it is printed. IMHO.

Nick_3536
2-Nov-2006, 05:25
after sunset won't the light be on the warm side not the cool?

Don Wilkes
2-Nov-2006, 10:29
>> after sunset won't the light be on the warm side not the cool?

It would depend on whether or not there are major overhead clouds still lit by the already-set sun, and showing a lot of reds and such. Most likely, though, the major portion of the sky is clear blue (well, cyan), and as that is the prime light source, the shadows will be cool, not warm.

\donw

Lazybones
2-Nov-2006, 12:50
Thanks for your replies!\/\/00t!

Ok, so say I expose without filtres. I will tries this, but will extra density be required in the negative, as much color will be added (or subtracted) in photoshoppe? In other words, do I need to expose as if I were using said filtres (say 1/2 stop more) in order to have more shadow info to manipulate? Thanks to all for humoring a Lazybones.:) :) :)