PDA

View Full Version : Crappy lens cover ruined enlarging lens

cyrus
22-Oct-2006, 21:59
So I came across a nice, otherwise pristine 360mm Schneider K Comp enlarging lens - and found the flaw: a crappy rubber lens cover that had rubbed against the apex of the lens, leaving a round scratch mark about half the circumference of a dime. Paid a few bucks for it anyway - I wonder how it will work on my 8x10 enlarger when I get it up and running.

Frank Petronio
23-Oct-2006, 05:10
If you can't "feel" the scratch it can probably be polished out by someone like John VaStetten, maybe $100-$150 or so...

http://www.focalpointlens.com/

Donald Qualls
24-Oct-2006, 19:15
Another option (which will work better the wider aperture you print with) would be to rub some India ink into the scratches, then wipe off the excess. This will cut down on scattering from the rub mark without risking the figure of the lens, and though it may significantly reduce the T ratio of the lens at smaller openings, shouldn't affect the optical quality at all otherwise -- and lower transmission at small openings is only significant if you establish exposure and then want to convert by closing the lens down to give more dodge/burn time.

If nothing else, this trick might let you decide if you like the lens well enough to pay for having the element repolished.

cyrus
25-Oct-2006, 07:34
If you can't "feel" the scratch it can probably be polished out by someone like John VaStetten, maybe $100-$150 or so...

http://www.focalpointlens.com/

Thanks I emailed them but the email bounced!

Frank Petronio
25-Oct-2006, 08:56
He exists! He'd fixed several lenses up for me. Hmmm, some of these old guys do things like change their email because they get sick of spam and stuff, I dunno - I am sure he is more of a phone guy anyway.

cyrus
25-Oct-2006, 12:23
I am sure he is more of a phone guy anyway.

Yeah I guessed as much. I'll give him a call after Xmas, if I have any $ left...

Tony Lakin
26-Oct-2006, 03:39
Hi
I would suggest that you find out if this lens would work on your enlarger before spending more money on it, what I mean is that I have a floor standing De vere 10x8 enlarger and find that even a 300mm lens is a bit to long and I now use a 240mm Componon S.
My De vere has a drop baseboard and a long bellows but my ceiling height is only 8 feet, I could use a 360mm lens but it would be very awkward ie I would have to drop the baseboard to the floor to be able to enlarge to 20x16.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

cyrus
26-Oct-2006, 09:41
Hi
I would suggest that you find out if this lens would work on your enlarger before spending more money on it

Yeah that's another issue I've been thinking. I too have a standing Devere 108 which I haven't gotten around to fixing up yet. In a year or so my ceiling height may increase to 11 ft.