PDA

View Full Version : Can a 300mm APO Lanthar be fitted to a Master?

Vick Ko
21-Oct-2006, 09:52
Can a 300mm APO Lanthar be fitted to a Technika Master?

This lens is fitted to an ILEX shutter, which I'm told is 6 inches in diameter, way too large for a Master.

What would be the right shutter for this lens?

regards
Vick

David A. Goldfarb
21-Oct-2006, 13:15
There are tricks for doing such things. One way is to use an extension lensboard, like the Wista extension lensboard, and have a custom adapter made for it. If the rear cell of the lens fits, I think this should work, even with an Ilex 5 shutter.

If the Wista extension board is a little too small, you might be able to find another solution, like mounting the lens from the rear filter threads, if there are rear filter threads, like SK Grimes did with my 11.5" Verito--

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11846

You probably can't put the Apo-Lanthar into a smaller shutter without reducing the maximum aperture, but I suspect that it is possible to mount the lens with one of the solutions above.

Roc Chan
24-Oct-2006, 08:05
The dia.of the rear element of the f4.5/30cm Apo Lanthar is 8.6cm and the front is 9cm.The length on a Compound is 8.6cm.The opening on my Technika III is only 7cm so it 's no good for Technika III.Check the opening on your camera.There are also weigth and bellow entension problem to use this lens on many field cameras.I paied $100 US for this f4.5/30cm Technika Apo Lanthar AND a f4.5/24cm Technika Hailar.The salesman also gave me a 12" Velostigmat II because he felt it's a bad deal for me,but that was in the 1960's in NYC.