PDA

View Full Version : Making A Heavy Tripod

damoore559
7-Oct-2006, 16:09
I'm in need of a sturdy LF tripod for my 4x5 field camera. Since I'm handy in the workshop, I thought I might try making one myself. It seems many people swear by Ries, and their Tripod style seems simple enough to manufacture in my shop. Anyone have any experience/tips with this type of project? Thanks for your time!

Dave

Colin Graham
7-Oct-2006, 17:31
I made this one several years ago. Cost about fifty bucks in 12/4 ash and hardware and took only a weekend. I stole the cam leg lock idea from a link from the Grimes website here (http://www.skgrimes.com/tpod/index.htm). Works great.

Kirk Fry
7-Oct-2006, 17:54
If you like to build stuff great, go for it, but if not, buy a Majestic from ebay. Try to find one the the geared head.

damoore559
8-Oct-2006, 15:23
Colin,
Thanks VERY MUCH for your direction. Quite helpful. I love the cam idea for fabrication, much easier than the clamps on a Reis.
Dave

Colin Graham
8-Oct-2006, 15:29
Glad I could help. The cams work very very well, and with locks nuts the tension is adjustable with seasonal movement of the wood, not to mention make setup and breakdown quicker. As soon as I saw that website I had to make one. Have fun.

Eric Woodbury
8-Oct-2006, 17:36
Many people swear AT Reis.

I've built 2 tripods. The best was the first and it was from Sitka Spruce. It is available in an aircraft grade and it is very clear, straight, and perfectly aligned grain. I like the tripod and used it until a few years ago when I switched to carbon fiber.

I have a cinema tripod made by Miller. You see these things in the movies about older times. Miller made wooden tripods until a few years ago. Theirs were made of ash and are quite heavy. The one I have, I have used for 57 and 810. I don't think the tripod even knows anything is there. You could park your car on this thing. Millers have nice hardware that is very hard to reproduce in a shop. Consider finding a nice used one of these.

If you do make your own, make a few extra parts. Easier now than later.

Good luck.

Mark Sampson
9-Oct-2006, 05:44
Somewhere on the SK Grimes site is a link to someone who made their own wooden tripod. Probably worth a look to see how someone else has tackled the problem-

C. D. Keth
11-Oct-2006, 11:49
Many people swear AT Reis.
I have a cinema tripod made by Miller. You see these things in the movies about older times. Miller made wooden tripods until a few years ago. Theirs were made of ash and are quite heavy. The one I have, I have used for 57 and 810. I don't think the tripod even knows anything is there. You could park your car on this thing. Millers have nice hardware that is very hard to reproduce in a shop. Consider finding a nice used one of these.
Good luck.

When miller made wooden tripods, film cameras weighing 80lbs fully loaded were not uncommon. If you want a REALLY sturdy tripod, think about a pair of old cinema sticks. They aren't for the light-packer, though.