PDA

View Full Version : Using the Same Make/Model of Filmholder

alec4444
28-Sep-2006, 20:51
Can someone tell me if it is important to use the same make or model of filmholder? If yes, why? I now finally own a Fidelity Deluxe 111x14, and I'm wondering if I need to limit myself to this type. I'd love to have more of them, mind you, but they're not easy to find. So what if I added a couple wooden ones to the mix?

I had heard such advice (stick to one make) somewhere and I'm wondering why that is.

Thanks!
--A

Oren Grad
28-Sep-2006, 21:03
No, it's not important to have them all the same, unless you're going to mat your prints to show full-frame with border and you insist on having the border look identical on every print.

These are the sorts of things that matter for putting a clean image on the negative:

the holders physically fit your camera (slide in all the way, with the rib lock engaging the groove in the camera back and a good light seal all around)
they hold the film reasonably flat
the film plane in each holder is in good register with your ground glass
the holder itself has an effective light trap so the film doesn't get fogged when you remove the dark slide

alec4444
28-Sep-2006, 21:24
Thanks, Oren. Another rumor dispelled!

Brian Ellis
29-Sep-2006, 09:46
Yes, I can tell you. No it isn't.

Jim Rice
29-Sep-2006, 17:03
Though keep up with which slides go with which holders (probably not an issue in the scenario that you describe).

raucousimages
29-Sep-2006, 17:48
I own several brands and keep them grouped by brand (5 holders to a Zip-lock bag) but if the holder is in good shape there is no practical difference. When I started I had 10 Toyo holders and a mixed lot of other brands. I used them all with no problem after I eliminated a few that were in bad shape. Those are now used as picture frames with the photo in place of the neg.

John Kasaian
29-Sep-2006, 20:04
A good holder is a good holder. I actually like having more than one brand of filmholder since I can load different films in different make holders without having to mark them. Say 400Tmax will go in Lisco Regals and FP-4+ in the Graflex.

As expensive as 11x14 holders are, any affordable good holder needs to be snatched up!

Capocheny
29-Sep-2006, 23:55
Alec,

Here's one on the bay at the moment...

Item Number 150040248425

Current bid is $179.00

I have no connections with the seller in any way, shape, or form. :)

Cheers

alec4444
1-Oct-2006, 14:31
Alec,

Here's one on the bay at the moment...

Item Number 150040248425

Current bid is $179.00

LOL, Did you happen to get a glimpse at who the high bidder is? ;)

--A