PDA

View Full Version : backpack for 11x14

Oren Grad
23-Sep-2006, 17:51
Up to now I've tinkered with my 11x14 Korona only around the house and the yard. The other day, in a fit of I don't know what sort of lunacy, I felt a sudden compulsion to expose a couple of sheets in the woods at a nearly wildlife sanctuary where I frequently take pictures in smaller formats.

The largest pack I have is a LowePro SuperTrekker AW. I found that a minimalist kit consisting of the camera, one holder, one small lens, and a BTZS hood just barely squeezed into the SuperTrekker, with a fair amount of pushing, shoving and tugging to make it all work. Weight-wise too, by the time I added the big Ries on my shoulder, the kit was at the very limit of what I could manage. At any rate, it worked for what I had in mind, which was just a ten minute walk from the parking lot, though my muscles are still protesting bitterly several days after the event.

It would be nice to have a pack with just a bit more wiggle room, so I could fit everything without a struggle - and perhaps eventually, if I can make progress in my conditioning efforts, handle just a bit more weight - say two holders instead of one, or a larger lens.

This is definitely not for long distance hiking - that's way beyond what I can manage. Rather, I just need something that will allow me to carry stuff for up to a 10 or 15 minute walk along trails where wheeled carts are forbidden. That may not sound like much, but it would open up all sorts of possibilities compared to having to stay on the roads and work directly out of the trunk or off of a cart.

I've read all the relevant prior threads I can find; there were a few hints, but they were also full of advice about using carts or not bothering at all. Well, I have a cart waiting for when I'm in the mood, and I have a boxy case where the camera normally lives.

So that angle is taken care of. Now I'm looking specifically for input from anyone who is actually using a backpack today to carry an 11x14 camera: specific brands and model names would be terrific if possible, but any advice that might point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

(And yes, it's nuts to lug the big Ries on the trail. I'm looking around for another tripod that would be a bit lighter and more hand- and shoulder-friendly while still being able to safely support a 25 pound load, but I'm still pondering whether I can justify the expense of another pricey tripod for what may be relatively modest usage. We'll see...)

Sal Santamaura
23-Sep-2006, 18:41
I can't help with backpacks, and don't know how its weight compares to your Ries, but this Linhof tripod

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=713

is easily carried by hand using its center column and might be up to supporting the Korona.

Sheldon N
23-Sep-2006, 19:28
Not shooting 11x14 myself, but I had luck with backpacks before by going to the local sporting goods store (or perhaps even army surplus store) and digging through their bin of used backpacks. I found a really old Kelty backpack for $25 that would be bigger than any dedicated photo backpack you could currently get. Something like that might be the ticket for your situation.

Joe Smigiel
23-Sep-2006, 19:28
You might want to investigate a harness meant for backpacking painters' french easels. I have one and it would work for my 11x14 B&J, but I'd rather use the cart (an adapted 3-wheel jogging stroller).

Ralph Barker
23-Sep-2006, 21:04
FWIW, Oren, I heard the best backpack for an 11x14 was made of wood - essentially two Xs with a high cross-over point, connected together with thin planks and worn on the back of a mule. ;)

Oren Grad
23-Sep-2006, 21:32
Thanks for the ideas. I did stop by the local REI earlier this evening, but although they had an extensive collection of backpacks, none was even close to having the right dimensions for an 11x14 camera. No doubt I could order something, if I knew what model I was looking for. The army surplus store idea sounds interesting, though - will look around for one nearby...

Sal, the Ries A-100/A-250 combination weighs around 17-18 pounds. Although I need to save weight, I'm nervous about having a rig that's too top-heavy, since the intended use is not on level pavement but on uneven ground, often with squishy stuff underneath. I have a Gitzo 3-series legset/3-way head combination that weighs about 9.5 pounds and does beautifully up through about a 13-14 pound load, but isn't quite robust enough for a heavy ULF camera. One option I'm thinking about is stepping up to a Gitzo 5-series combination - again a legset without center column plus a matching 3-way head - which should save 4 or 5 pounds on the Ries, and also be much hand-friendlier.

FWIW, Oren, I heard the best backpack for an 11x14 was made of wood - essentially two Xs with a high cross-over point, connected together with thin planks and worn on the back of a mule. ;)

Feeling like one right about now... ;) Say, you wouldn't happen to have any leads on a pre-owned robotic mule, would you?

Capocheny
23-Sep-2006, 21:50
Oren,

You might want to contact Bruce Laughton at http://www.photobackpacker.com and ask for his recommendations. He custom fits the Kelty backpacks, which are lighter than the equivalent LowePro.

I also use the Super Trekker AWII and find it works well for an 8x10... but I would imagine it would be a tight fit for an 11x14.

As for a tripod... have you looked at the Gitzo 1325? It's relatively light weight and supports a fair amount of weight. IIRC, the maximum supportable weight is in around 26 pounds.

Good luck.

Cheers

Stephen Willard
23-Sep-2006, 23:46
I do not have an 11x14, but I carry a lot of gear on my back with my pig pack. It is the largest pack on the market and can hold up to 7200 cubic inches. It was designed for Sherpas to carry big cargo into remote areas. The pack is made by Dana Designs and it is called the Astralplane. It is a premium pack and sells for around $400. If you order it with the heaver fabric it sells for around $500. To get the 7200 cubic inch one you have to buy the large size pack. I have carried up to 85 pounds with my pack and it was bearable, although not pleasant. I have had my pack for around 15 years now and it looks brand new until a porcupine chewed it all up this summer. Dana just told me they will replace it for me at wholesale prices. The current model only comes in black, but next years model with be offered in blue, black, and green. You can take a peek at www.danadesign.com

Renee Galang
24-Sep-2006, 04:11
Hello Oren,
I do a lot of expeditions in the central Panay mountain ranges in Panay Island Philippines. I have 7 metal frame backpacks that I managed to buy from an military surplus here in Melbourne Australia. They were actually rusted and the straps were useless. I took the frames to a snad blasting shop to sand blast the rusts then I took them to a metal plating shop for zinc plating then powder coated. Now they are rust proof and I bought new heavy duty shoulder straps. Believe me my porters and guides love them. They can easily strap boxes of stuff up to 30 kgs without any problem. My expedition team walks deep in the jungle up to 25kms from the coastal town up high up the mountains to 1000 meters. Until this April I was only using 4x5. It is on an aluminium box. But now that I have a cambo monorial 11x14, I will be taking this monster deep in the jungle aswell late this year. again it will on 2 boxes and it will be strap on this frame backpack carrier. The guy that sold me this calls them South African carrier? If I were you I will look for this stuff and just strap your box of camera on. From here, it will be just your leg that you have to worry about!
By the way, April's 2005 expedition was a great success for me because I discovered a very rare plant species of Rafflesia. The species description will be publish next month on Folia Malaysiana. I am hoping that my 4x5 photo of the flower will be on its front page! Next April I will take some 11x14 close up shot of the flower with the same lens, a marco sironar 210. Am so looking forward to take my 11x14 camera deep in the jungle!

clay harmon
24-Sep-2006, 06:50
Oren, if money is less important than the health of your lower back, I would highly recommend just swallowing hard and buying a gitzo 1548 carbon fiber tripod. That set of sticks is incredibly rigid, and with the weight you save over a Ries, you can bring your bench press set with you. I bought one of these a few years back when I was using a 40 pound 14x17, and it handled it with aplomb. Put a big majestic head on it (which weighs almost as much as the tripod) and you will have a very portable and rigid combination. Previous to buying the Gitzo, I owned a Ries tripod, which of course was excellent. But after considering the fact that my chances of needing to fight off a cave bear were pretty slim, I got the gitzo, and I have not regretted it in any way.

Donald Miller
24-Sep-2006, 08:47
Clay,

I don't know that you are going to find a ready made pack that is going to serve your needs. Back when I still shot 12X20, I was thinking of going with an external frame pack and having someone make the necessary campartments for film holders, lenses, camera etc. These could easily be lashed to the pack frame...My 12/20 already came with a canvas enclosure for camera/film holders. In that arrangement, the film holders served to protect the ground glass.

Carts seem to be pretty limited in rough terrain...at least in my view.

Kevin Saitta comes to mind of someone who probably sew up anything that you need.

Oren Grad
24-Sep-2006, 09:17
Thanks, all...

As for a tripod... have you looked at the Gitzo 1325?

It's comparable to the 340 I already have. The legset would be marginally adequate, but the matching 3-way head is not, and the combination with camera on top is too top-heavy for comfort, I'm afraid...

The pack is made by Dana Designs and it is called the Astralplane.

Thanks, Stephen, I was not aware of that brand. I looked at the web listings; the problem with those, as with the other hiker-oriented brands I've looked at, is that the specifications mention only the total volume, which doesn't tell me what I need to know, which is the actual dimensions. At least in the picture, the larger Dana, Kelty and other similar bags seem to all have a relatively long and narrow shape. But the camera needs a space at least 17"x17"x7", and a holder or two adds to the thickness. What are the actual dimensions of your pack?

Oren, if money is less important than the health of your lower back, I would highly recommend just swallowing hard and buying a gitzo 1548 carbon fiber tripod.

Clay, I swallowed very hard when I bought the Ries. The issue with the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods isn't their rigidity, it's that I would end up with a rig that's extremely top heavy. I've had some close calls on uneven terrain in the field even with combinations that are much better balanced than that.

But now that I have a cambo monorial 11x14, I will be taking this monster deep in the jungle as well late this year.

< gulp > I am in awe - look forward to hearing of your adventures and seeing what you come up with...

Ron Marshall
24-Sep-2006, 09:21
Oren, perhaps a Kelty Freighter would suit your requirements. It is available as a frame only or with large sac:

http://www.outdoorreview.com/sf-1/befid-96424/pid-30974192/productreviewscrx.aspx#

GPS
24-Sep-2006, 12:56
Renee knows what he's talking about. Any other option just adds yet more weight. A simple cover-bag padded with some foam on strategic places and well strapped to the frame is by far the easiest and the least heavy solution. I have one frame for several cameras and nobody even knows that the cover conceals precious stuff. Only 2 straps with quick buckles are necessary to hold the camera steady in all positions...

erie patsellis
25-Sep-2006, 09:36
Oren, I'd second the 5 series idea, I have an unnamed 5 series tripod with a 1570M head, holds my C1 (Orbit actually) like it's not even there. Definately get rid of the center column and just put a head plate in, best thing I ever did, lost a bunch of weight, and made it more rigid. If you buy used, email me for some suggestions to tighten the gitzos up, as both of mine (a studex compact perf. and the 5 series) had very slight movement at the point where the legs screw in and are riveted.

erie

Eric Biggerstaff
25-Sep-2006, 09:56
Hey Oren,

I have an old, original Lowe Alpine Systems Expedition pcak with side pockets that is almost like new. It is a huge backpack with an internal frame and great harness. This is NOT a panel / front loader but is a top loader that will carry a massive amount of stuff. It is probably 20 hears old at this point but you wouldn't know it to look at it. I will donate it to you if you pay shipping.

Michael Daily
28-Sep-2006, 17:46
I use a Kelty Redwing (lg) for my 8x10 and have about 4 inches estra on the side and top, and enough space in the front for 6 film holders. If you post dimensions of the camera and holders, I will measure for fit. For a tripod, I use an old Sanford and Davis floating head model B (the shorter one) wich heald my DD8x10 and Comm Ektar very easily. I stood on it once in a pinch (NOT recommended) with no damage to either of us. I weigh more than a 16x20 camera... The tripod weighs about 9.5 lbs. I replaced the spikes with dowel pieces to avoid scratching up stuff.
Michael

Oren Grad
28-Sep-2006, 18:11
Michael - the camera needs 17x17x7, plus more thickness for a holder or two, plus some room to squeeze in a lens.

paul stimac
28-Sep-2006, 18:45
Kifaru makes a pack that I'm sure will take a 11x14. I have one. I use it for hauling deer and elk. These packs can take as much as your knees can handle. The one I have is a big detachable WATERPROOF bag and a very comfortable frame to attach it to. They also make other large packs that are more traditional in style that might be big enough too. Their website is down right now www.kifaru.com You can try their number(303) 278-9155. They make quality products. They are more expensive but worth it.

Tip: A pair of walking sticks will help you carry bigger loads plus they reduce a lot of stress on you knees.

Good luck,

Jimi
29-Sep-2006, 02:29
Paul,

I guess the website should be www.kifaru.net - the backpacks looked good.

paul stimac
29-Sep-2006, 06:18
right -sorry about the bad link. Here's a link to what I have:
http://www.kifaru.net/FREIGHTR.HTM

Don Hutton
29-Sep-2006, 07:29
The Kifaru packs are fantastic and expensive (they start at around $400). There are other options for 11x14, but I'd suggest the best place to start is with a Gitzo CF tripod. The stability of the tripod has far more to do with how it is set up and the load on top than with the actual weight of the tripod. If you set it up correctly, the "top heavy" issue just is not an issue. I only ever hear the "top heavy" issue being brought up by owners of very heavy tripods.

I have a Phillips Explorer 11x14 which I use on a Gitzo 1348 with an Arca B2 head - the total weight of the whole rig is under 20lbs... I usually carry it in a lightware case (together with 3 holders) which I strap onto an Azora Pack Mule frame, together with my tripod and head and another small bag containing lenses and a few bits and pieces. I haven't weighed the whole outfit, but my guess is that it is around 40-45lbs and is extremely comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to do an hour or two with it on my back.

Scott Davis
29-Sep-2006, 07:45
If you want some of the beef of the Gitzo 1500 series carbon legs without the price, look at a 1420 series legset. It's aluminum, can be found with or without the center column (I got mine with just the flat panel) and takes the Gitzo 1525 magnesium low profile pan/tilt head, for under $250. I've mounted a Calumet C-1 green monster on it, and also my Zone VI Ultralight 8x10, and it has been rock steady under these cameras, even with the bellows racked all the way out and a 14" Commercial Ektar on the pointy end. The 1420 legs in aluminum are only about 10 lbs, and add another 2 for the head. The biggest problem you'll have with top-heaviness comes from the center column, not the legset. If you use it without a center column, you'll be fine.

Jack Flesher
29-Sep-2006, 08:07
Hi Oren:

I'll ditto the comments on the Gitzo 154x CF tripods -- great pods and probably the most stable pods I've ever used. If you are concerned with the outfit getting too top heavy, consider adding a hook to the bottom of the flat plate. I did this by simply breaking out the factory brass bolt (it is pinned, so you either have to break the pin or drill it out) and replace that with a 3/8's eye bolt that I opened the eye up on. From the hook you can hang a pack or whatever to add weight and lower the center of gravity.

Cheers,

Oren Grad
29-Sep-2006, 08:26
Just wanted to thank everyone for the continuing flow of good ideas and useful links - this will make a great reference for others in the future as well.

Am working on both the tripod and pack issues, will report back on what I end up with.

Terence McDonagh
29-Sep-2006, 09:45
See below.

Terence McDonagh
29-Sep-2006, 09:45
Here's an update of the old U.S. Army ALICE pack frame. The military-style one is like a duffle strapped to the frame. I forget the inside dimensions, but I know it will fit my 8x20 Korona. They emailed me the dimensions, but I can't find it right now.

http://azora.biz/

Ron Marshall
29-Sep-2006, 10:23
Here is a better photo of the Kelty Freighter:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3877

JasonC
29-Sep-2006, 11:11
Don and Terence,

Is the Pack Mule frame adjustable to torso length? It looks very interesting. Thanks.

Jason.

Don Hutton
29-Sep-2006, 11:57
Don and Terence,

Is the Pack Mule frame adjustable to torso length? It looks very interesting. Thanks.

Jason.

Jason

The frame itself is not adjustable, but the anchor points on the harness are, so a combination of moving the anchor points and changing the harness lenghs, gets you there. Also, the "suspension" springs are adjustable for different weight loads. It is a pretty small frame, but works fine for me (I'm 6'1).

JasonC
29-Sep-2006, 12:11
Don,

Thanks. I see that you are using the 4-section Gitzo 1348. Could you tell me the height without the last section extended? Thanks again.

Jason.

Don Hutton
29-Sep-2006, 12:39
Don,

Thanks. I see that you are using the 4-section Gitzo 1348. Could you tell me the height without the last section extended? Thanks again.

Jason.

Just over 49 inches; 55 to the top of the B2 head.

alec4444
29-Sep-2006, 15:33
Here is a better photo of the Kelty Freighter:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3877

Nifty idea. What would make it better is an extendable handle and some wheels on that 90 degree bend. Backpack frame / pull cart.

--A