PDA

View Full Version : What to Photograph near Pittsburgh?

Kevin Crisp
11-Sep-2006, 07:36
I have a trip coming up and about 6 hours to kill. I know nothing about the area, I will have a car. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Yes, I realize this is vague as to subject matter, and that is not accidental. Thanks in advance.

Ted Harris
11-Sep-2006, 07:57
Kevin, in this instance being vague as to subject matter is no help. There is way to much to photograph in the Greater Pittsburgh area ... I would be writing for days ... without narrowing it down. Are you interested in bridges (Pittsburgh has many of interest)? Urban architecture (the "Golden Triangle" has fine examples of all sizes many by noted architects)? Industrial grundge (there are many many closed major industrial sites, steel mills only scratching the tip)? Landscape (Pitsburgh proper has lots to choose from in Schenlye Park and other areas and there is a lot more within an hour)?

So, a bit of guidance and I can give more direction.

Frank Petronio
11-Sep-2006, 08:31
Antietam and Monroe will shoot with you... they're vicious artist biker tattoo chicks. Let me know and I'll hook you up.

Kevin Crisp
11-Sep-2006, 08:32
OK then, industrial grundge and landscape. Thanks.

Keith Pitman
11-Sep-2006, 18:53
I lived in Pittsburgh for seven years, but have been gone almost as long. I know things have changed, but here is a thought: A lot of the industry existed along the rivers. A lot of it has disappeared as the economy of Pittsburgh has changed. For the short time you have, I'd drive along the north side of the Ohio River. I don't remember the name(s) of the road(s), but a rental car map will find them. You may have issues getting access to any site you find, but it would be my best suggestion for the time you have. Pittsburgh is also very wooded, so watch for landscape opportunities also. Landscape opportunites will be better west of I-79. Good luck.