PDA

View Full Version : Experience Using Photobackpacker or Smilar System

Tony Ilardi
10-Sep-2006, 06:07
I am looking for alternatives to my Lowepro Rolling Mini case, particularly where the rolling feature is more a hindrance than a help (such as at Michigan's sand dunes). To that end I am considering fishing bags (a la Ted Harris' [I]View Camera [I] article); messenger bags and backpacks, particularly the Kelty Redwing, which fits me better than any other pack I have tried on. I have pretty much decided against dedicated photo backpacks becaue of fit and weght.

I have read good things on this forum about the Photbackpacker system, but I have a concern that each time I stop to take a picture, one has to pretty much unpack the whole backpack. In the Photobackpacker loading instructions on its web page, it looks like the camera will be inaccessibile without unloading everything else first. (I know that Photobackpacker offers a modifeid Kelty pack, but for a variety of reasons I will be purchasing the pack locally.)

Have I missed something? How convenient or inconvenient is this sytem to use? What has your experience been in using this system with a Kelty, Gregory or other similar bag?

roteague
10-Sep-2006, 11:11
I haven't used the Photobackpacker system, although I did see it fully setup at the APUG conference earlier this year. The system is designed to snap to the backplane, via velcro; the reason the opening in the backpack has been extended. It should work with any pack that can be opened fully, without unpacking. FWIW, I have a couple of the Photobackpack components (not the pack itself), and they are very well built, and very light (a big plus when carrying these on your back). I have to admit that I know Bruce (the owner) personally, and found him to be a man of character, and I would purchase from him anytime.

Colleen K
10-Sep-2006, 12:07
I have the photobackpacker system in a Kelty Redwing women's pack and I found the camera can be taken out fairly easily when there is nothing in the big outside pocket on the flap. Since that is where I keep the film holders, I just take them out first and re-pack them last. It is possible to remove and replace the camera with that pocket stuffed, but it is more difficult and resulted in some skin loss on the camera case zipper(especially when trying to get the quick release plate on the camera through the opening) before I started removing the film holders from that outside pocket. Other than that, I like the fit and weight of the system more than I have liked any of my other photo backpacks.
Colleen

Larry Gebhardt
10-Sep-2006, 17:43
I have had the same experience as Colleen with the stuffed front pocket hindering the camera access. What I do now is keep the darkcloth and a few grafmatics under the camera (bottom of the case). This raises the camera up a bit and lets me access it better with the front pocket full. I have the Kelty 3100 that I purchased with the other components.

Overall it is the most comfortable pack I have had. I like the individual boxes for each lens, but sometimes opening and closing the zippers is more work than I think it should be. The construction is very nice. I have had the zippers stop zipping on two packs, but they always self heal if you go back over them and zip again. This is my only complaint in the 3 or 4 months or so that I have had it.

Now that Bruce is modifying the packs, I will inquire about sending it in for this service. I think it would make it a perfect system.

KenM
10-Sep-2006, 21:01
I have a plain backpack, which zips open to expose the entire side. I've placed 6 of Bruce's lens cases on a custom-made backer board - 4 standard size cases, and 2 doubles. With the 6 cases, I carry seven lenses.

I love the system - it's much easier to get at my lenses now. Rather than having them all wrapped in lenswraps, I use the cases. In fact, I don't even zip most of the cases closed, since my pack keeps the lids closed. It makes for very quick access, something that can be important when time is of the essence.

Also, the cases are very lightweight; while I don't remember the weight, I know that each case is lighter than the corresponding lenswrap it replaced.

All in all, a great system.

Photobackpacker
11-Sep-2006, 05:02
Hi Larry:

There are 2 replacement cases on their way to you. I have included a return tag for you to return the cases with zipper problems. I want to be able to analyze the problem and discuss it with my manufacturer.

The modified Kelty is in the hands of 4 users now, and the reports are super. I am using a top-of-the-line #8 YKK Uretek waterproof zipper and extending the opening to within 3" of the bottom of the bag. This provides full access to whatever you have stored and no unpacking in necessary. This modification is reserved for 2005 or newer Kelty Redwing packs that are in very clean - nearly new condition. My sewing technician keeps their work area extremely clean.

For those of you who saw the prototypes of the LightGear Ultra line at the Silver conference - they are now in production and scheduled to arrive by mid-October. The Ultra line is for the true "Gearhead" among us with 6 new cases for 4X4 lens boards (2.5", 3", 4", 5.25", 8" and 11.5" in length) It also included two new cases for the 6X6 lens board users These are 5.5" and 11.5" in length. Picture attached. The mid to long cases come with dividers for those who prefer partitioned systems.

If you are one who purchased the original LightGear line, I will be offering super discounts if you want to upgrade. I will be sending out email announcements to all who are registered on my web site.

Bruce

http://www.photobackpacker.com

I have had the same experience as Colleen with the stuffed front pocket hindering the camera access. What I do now is keep the darkcloth and a few grafmatics under the camera (bottom of the case). This raises the camera up a bit and lets me access it better with the front pocket full. I have the Kelty 3100 that I purchased with the other components.

Overall it is the most comfortable pack I have had. I like the individual boxes for each lens, but sometimes opening and closing the zippers is more work than I think it should be. The construction is very nice. I have had the zippers stop zipping on two packs, but they always self heal if you go back over them and zip again. This is my only complaint in the 3 or 4 months or so that I have had it.

Now that Bruce is modifying the packs, I will inquire about sending it in for this service. I think it would make it a perfect system.

Larry Gebhardt
11-Sep-2006, 06:36
Hi Larry:

There are 2 replacement cases on their way to you. I have included a return tag for you to return the cases with zipper problems. I want to be able to analyze the problem and discuss it with my manufacturer.

Bruce,

Thanks for sending the new cases, but it really isn't necessary. They are all currently working just fine. As such I am not even positive which ones had the problem. I know one of the cases is my most frequently used one. I hope I can remember which other case had the problem. As I said, they self healed by returning the zipper to the start, and seem as good as new.

Larry

Photobackpacker
11-Sep-2006, 08:11
Too late - they are already on their way. :) Given the value of the lenses the cases are protecting, the zippers need to work perfectly - every time. If they aren't I need to find out why.

Cheers!

Bruce

http://www.photobackpacker.com

Bruce,

Thanks for sending the new cases, but it really isn't necessary. They are all currently working just fine. As such I am not even positive which ones had the problem. I know one of the cases is my most frequently used one. I hope I can remember which other case had the problem. As I said, they self healed by returning the zipper to the start, and seem as good as new.

Larry

Ed Richards
11-Sep-2006, 11:18
The new smaller cases look perfect. I have not been using the cases I bought because they were so much bigger than the lenses. I ended up using an Orvis bag. This would cure that problem.

Photobackpacker
11-Sep-2006, 15:52
They are also very light. The smallest 4X4X2.5 weighs 2.3 ounces.

The new smaller cases look perfect. I have not been using the cases I bought because they were so much bigger than the lenses. I ended up using an Orvis bag. This would cure that problem.

Tony Ilardi
11-Sep-2006, 17:22
Thanks for all the responses. This looks like the right way to go for a backpack. Ironically,after seeing these responses I was on my way to REI to buy the Kelty, but stopped first at the local Orvis store to pick up some items. While there, I started to fool with the Safe Passage Kit Bag, and wound up buying one. Most of my shooting is in urban and suburban areas. For now, I will try the Orvis, but the backpack with Photobackpacker inserts may still be on the horizon for longer walks.

Thanks again for all the useful insights.