PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI Cold Light - What kind of tube?

john98103
9-Sep-2006, 13:31
In attempting to diagnose the non-working sensor in my new (ebay) Zone VI cold light, I broke the light tube (barely touched it -- ).

Is this an Aristo unit -- no part numbers visible?

As I understand it, they have a new(er) tube that works better with VC papers -- what is it called/what is the part number ?

Thanks

Michael Graves
9-Sep-2006, 14:38
I seem to recall reading that Aristo made these heads for Zone VI. I don't think they're the standard tube, so you might want to check with them. I know that they will make tubes to order for you. They just gave me a quote on a new tube for my 5x7 enlarger head. Wasn't as high as I expected either.

Alan Rabe
9-Sep-2006, 15:54
You should try Calumet first. Their parts and service dept does stock bulbs for some of their old stuff. I got a set for the ZOne VI VC Cold light from them. And if they don't stock them the might be able to give the Aristo part number.

Paul Hamann
9-Sep-2006, 16:11
I replaced the tube in m Zone VI cold light with an Aristo V54 (the one for VC paper) tube. It was exactly the same size, etc. I have been using it for about 10 years now. But I would give Aristo a call first.

Eric Woodbury
9-Sep-2006, 18:27
Get a V54 if you can. Great tube.

Ken Lee
9-Sep-2006, 18:50
Aristo Lighting Technologies
400 Captain Neville Drive
Waterbury, CT 06705
Tel: 203-575-3425
Fax: 203-575-3456
http://www.aristogrid.com/prod02C.htm

Ken Schroeder
11-Sep-2006, 01:40
I replaced the lamp in my Zone VI cold light with an Aristo V54. Following the directions from Aristo it was not a problem. Before you wire and seal it, note that it can be placed two different ways. In my case, one way placed part of the grid directly below the sensor. (I opted for the high intensity model, which has nine wraps instead of seven.) The original way I installed it worked fine with my Zone VI stabilizer, but was too bright for the Metrolux. Turning the lamp 180 degrees improved the situation. The final fix with the Metrolux was installing another sensor. This was not a big deal, and works fine.)
I find the new lamp too bright for my style of printing with the Metrolux. (With the Zone VI stabilizer, the brightness range will knock your socks off!) I plan to remedy this with an Aristo Dimmer. In hindsight, I would carefully consider whether to get the high intensity bulb or the regular V54. You might want to get other opinions on this from this forum. I ran some step wedge prints with both lamps. The old Zone VI bulb, being more blue sensitive, extends further in the high contrast area. The new V54 bulb can kick out plenty of contrast with a #5 or blue split filter. It is also capable of much softer contrast, which I like. I happen to have two cold light heads, one with each kind of lamp. That covers the waterfront for me.
One suggestion for mounting the new lamp: I made two very simple cardboard spacers for each side of the lamp. They support the grid while the silicon sealant is drying and keep the lamp level. Changing the lamp the first time seemed challenging. After the first run through, the process get considerably easier.