PDA

View Full Version : Film is hear, back is ready, what else?

Vick Ko
8-Sep-2006, 03:44
Hello all
I'm a newbie, but after patiently waiting, my Fuji quickload film is here, I've bought a Polaroid 545i back, and I'm ready to shoot. There's lots of buildings around, and the mornings are looking stunning as autumn sets in.

Is there anything that I should keep in mind before I shoot my first 4x5 film?

I've been reading all the "mistakes with LF" postings with intense interest.

Will the Polaroid back work well with the Fuji quickloads? My web search indicates "probably yes".

Should I hold out and buy a real Fuji back for the quickloads?

Thanks all.

Vick

Ed Richards
8-Sep-2006, 04:33
Make a check list of what you need to do, and run down it for each shot until it is second nature. Record your settings for each shot before you take it - that acts as a check on whether you have actually made the settings. My favorite is to forget to put the filter back on after I focus. Hold off on the Fuji back, you might decide you want to use Kodak readloads and Tmax, and then use Tmax in holders in the long term.

Also remember that this is supposed to be fun.:-)

Ted Harris
8-Sep-2006, 04:46
Vick, Polaroid sheet film, Kodak Readyloads and Fuji Quickloads all work fine in a Polaroid holder. Beyond that both Kodak Readyloads and Fuji Quickloads work reliably in the latest single sheet Kodak Readyload holder but only Fuji Quickloads work reliably in the Fuji Quicklod holder.

Go out and expose some film and enjoy.

Ole Tjugen
8-Sep-2006, 05:06
The great thing about that "mistakes" list is not that it tells you what to avoid doing, but the comfort it brings when you have done a stupid mistake and discover that just about everyone else has done it, too.

Go out and shoot. Have fun. Work with what you have until you're absolutely certain you need something else. I know what I'm talking about - I have 14 LF cameras and about 50 lenses! If I really needed to, I could do with one camera and three lenses.

Gib Robinson
8-Sep-2006, 05:19
Vick,

The Fuji Quickloads will work in a 545i back, BUT accurding to Rod Klukas of Photomark, the film may not stay flat and you may get warped lines at the edges of the film. So, if you stay with Fuji, consider a Fuji back.

BrianShaw
8-Sep-2006, 06:20
It sounds to me like you are ready to go. Have fun!

Stephen Willard
8-Sep-2006, 06:51
I would do some test runs and inspect your film for out of focus areas. I have had problems with using readyloads and quickloads in a Polaroid film holder.

MIke Sherck
8-Sep-2006, 07:05
Consider purchasing a box of Polaroid film to go with your Polaroid film holder. If you're new to large format photography, there are a lot of mistakes you could make and waiting until the film comes back from the processor to see them is not as helpful to your learning process as seeing the mistakes as you make them would be. Yes, Polaroid film is expensive but ultimately cheaper than paying for a longer learning curve without immediate feedback. Good luck, and welcome!

Mike

Steven Barall
8-Sep-2006, 07:12
Have a good rap ready when people stop you and ask what you're doing.

Paul Fitzgerald
8-Sep-2006, 08:16
"Have a good rap ready when people stop you and ask what you're doing."

and when some fool asks if that's a Hasselblad tell them "No, it's the new Leica digital."

Good luck and great fun with it.

Ron Marshall
8-Sep-2006, 08:33
I second the checklist, I used that the first few times I went out; it saves a lot of film and dissapointment. Soon you won't need it.

Go somewhere fairly quiet, along the canal, Hogsback etc. where you won't be rushed for the first few shots, until you get used to front tilt.

Will you develop the film yourself?

Polaroids are a useful learning tool for instant feedback.

Good luck!

Capocheny
8-Sep-2006, 10:17
Hi Vick,

Set up a routine when shooting...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/how-to-operate.html

Above all... have fun! :)

Cheers

65Galaxie
17-Sep-2006, 14:12
I don't understand the comment on the Polaroid holder not holding the film flat along the edges. At least my Polaroid 545 has spring clips that hold the film down. Do the newer holders not have any clips?