PDA

View Full Version : The most fun you can have with your LF...

bobc
1-Sep-2006, 16:14
Given the supportive environment here, allow me to indulge just a bit and share with you what is, by far and away, the most rewarding time I've had with photography...

For the month of June I traveled around in Mongolia. The Mongolians are very kind people and it is their nature to offer you a place to stay in their yurts (their homes) and ask for nothing in return.

After some research on the country, I decided to bring Polaroid film with me. Mongolians in the countryside love to have their photos taken. They are very comfortable in front of the camera and love to have photos of the family up on the walls. And since they don't readily have access to cameras, film or developing, I thought that this would be a great way to repay them for putting us up for the night.

Well, the camera and instant photos to hold in their hands were quite the hit. I gave up trying to do portraiture because everyone just hopped in front of the camera. It was all good, tho because everyone was so into it.

And I mean, how often do you have a family photo with a baby reindeer in it? Or, have the head lama and a monk of a Buddhist temple come over to see what you're taking a photo of??

Please jump on this thread and tell of similar experiences or you're most enriching time....

BTW, my hair looks like it does in these photos because this was Week #2 without a shower....

Cheers,

Ron Marshall
1-Sep-2006, 16:22
The most fun I have ever had with photography was shooting school kids in Southern Africa, lots of enthusiasm and they also were willing to pose for photos. Unfortunately I only had a 35mm with me at the time.

Bob, did you get your fill of Yak butter?

Capocheny
1-Sep-2006, 16:28
Hi Bob,

Good on you... I think it's always good karma to be respectful and return something back to the community/people who treat you well.

IMHO, this is what life should be all about... looking after each other and living in harmony.

So... good on you!

Likewise for you Ron. :)

Cheers

Walter Calahan
1-Sep-2006, 16:54
I have the most fun whenever I'm working with LF or any other camera format where ever I am.

The people I meet along the way always make the moment special.

dietcookie
1-Sep-2006, 17:21
Very commendable! One of the coolest things i've heard someone do in a while. I'd like to do something similar one day.

Diane Maher
1-Sep-2006, 17:34
That is really neat.

Bill_1856
1-Sep-2006, 17:42
Well, the camera and instant photos to hold in their hands were quite the hit. I gave up trying to do portraiture because everyone just hopped in front of the camera. It was all good, tho because everyone was so into it.

Cheers,

Were these (thumbnail) pictures taken with Polaroid film? If so, it's a lot letter than I ever remember it.

Also, good for you (Two points. Gold Star. Hero Badge)!

David Karp
1-Sep-2006, 21:04
Awesome. Looks like great fun.

Frank Petronio
1-Sep-2006, 21:20
Wow, I love seeing these kinds of shots -- what a great experience.

Kids in my kid's school always love Polaroids, it's universal ;)

Ralph Barker
2-Sep-2006, 08:12
Looks like you had a wonderful trip, Bob, making lots of new, albeit far-away, friends.

Rory_5244
2-Sep-2006, 08:47
Well done, Bobc. Illustrates well what it means to be alive, a fact that some of us have forgotten, or have never known.

Donald Qualls
2-Sep-2006, 19:29
Aaaah, Polaroid. The final *proof* that your camera is magical -- you can show the picture right away!

cyrus
2-Sep-2006, 20:17
I planned on taking polaroid positive-negative film with me the next time I went to Iran specifically so I can hand out the positive and keep the negative- too bad the film is now obsolete. I guess I should while some is still left left...

PViapiano
2-Sep-2006, 21:33
Cyrus...

The medium format Polaroid pos/neg is on its way out, but LF Polaroid 55 pos/neg is still being made...

Donald Qualls
3-Sep-2006, 14:27
Now for the bad news -- if you shoot 55 to produce a usable negative, the print will be so light as to look bad even to the untrained eye. The last production run of 665 reportedly produced a quite viewable print even when exposed for the negative...