PDA

View Full Version : Looking to interview photographer...

MJSfoto1956
28-Aug-2006, 17:26
So it would appear that a certain APUG photographer is giving me the brush off in regards to an interview. His loss. Your opportunity.

So here's the deal:

I'm looking to interview a photographer for the second issue of MAGNAchrom, the theme of which is "The Color Negative Issue". Here are the requirements:

- must primarily be an art photographer (as opposed to primarily a commercial photographer). Dedicated, advanced amateurs also welcomed.
- must primarily use medium or large format equipment in their art (no Canon, Nikon, etc)
- must work primarily in color negative (i.e. C41 process)
- must *not* be already famous (i.e. no Christopher Burkett's or Charlie Waite's!)
- must also be able to show a cohesive portfolio of color neg work. (max image size is approx 2500x3500 pixels horizontal for a full page)
- need to complete the interview by mid-september (probably via IM -- should take about an hour)

That's about it.
Looking forward to your inquiries.

Note: Feel free to contact me directly at editor@magnachrom.com

Walter Calahan
28-Aug-2006, 17:58
Ansel Adams was primarily a commercial photographer until late in his life when his prints made him a handsome living as an art photographer.

Walker Evans spent most of his "earning years" as a photo editor of Fortune Magazine.

Gee, Ralph Gibson shoots with a Leica. He's out.

Whose Christopher Burkett or Charlie Waite? Where they on American Idol?

Why all the limitations?

Well it's your publication. You make the rules. Grin.

MJSfoto1956
28-Aug-2006, 18:27
Why all the limitations?
Thanx for the feedback Walter, Two things come to mind:

1.) people who are already famous don't need additional promotion -- there are plenty of venues available for them and their PR machines

2.) I'm not particularly inclined to showing commercial work in MAGNAchrom (there may be exceptions, but it will have to be truly exceptional). There is already enough commercial promotion with the likes of PDN and all the various print and online annuals.

MJSfoto1956
29-Aug-2006, 05:14
Note, there has been some confusion about what I mean by "commercial":

Let's just say that I'm currently not looking to feature a wedding photographer's work or a fashion photographer's work (in spite of the fact that both can be extremely artistic). I'm just trying to keep the vision of the magazine to be humanistic. I "might" consider formal architecture, as in my view architecture is akin to portraiture (I *DEFINITELY* would welcome urban landscapes). And I should have made it clear (my bad) that portraiture, while technically commercial, is something I'd love to feature as it has always been an integral core of photography.

So any of you doing medium format and/or large format color neg portraiture (of the humanistic or architectural kind) are welcome to contact me.

Thanx!

RichardRitter
29-Aug-2006, 06:23
Try Ted Harris. He works in large format and is in NH.
Here is his wed site www.fourpointlanding.com

Richard Ritter
WWW.finefocusworkshops.com

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2006, 07:30
In terms of color negatives, I would like to see an article on Danny Burk:

http://www.dannyburk.com

I think he is probably the most experienced photographer out there shooting large format color negs for scanning purposes.

Eric Biggerstaff
29-Aug-2006, 07:55
How about Stephen Wilkes? His color work is beautiful and his new project on the Katrina disaster is outstanding. I believe most of his fine art work is done in large format. He might be to commercial, not sure, but check him out at www.stephenwilkes.com.