PDA

View Full Version : My f,64 XL Backpack has arrived

Ben Hopson
18-Aug-2006, 14:24
UPS just dropped off my new f,64 backpack. I arranged the dividers and loaded the 8X10 Dorff, two lenses, meter dark cloth, loupe, filters and all the other odds and ends. To my great satisfaction this set-up feels much lighter and more comfortable than my Ebony 4X5 in a Tenba PBL backpack. Maybe it just fits me better.

I know that dedicated photo backpacks are not the first choice for many and for extended hikes of more than a few miles I might agree, but I gotta say that I don't think day long ventures will be uncomfortable with the f,64 and I like the easy access to everything inside. Carrying the tripod is a different story.

Ben

Brian Vuillemenot
18-Aug-2006, 15:23
Enjoy your new f64 pack. I've been quite pleased with mine over the 4 years that I've owned it. It's still holding up well despite the abuse I've put it through!

Lee Hamiel
18-Aug-2006, 16:33
Glad for you Ben

I have the same pack & have been very pleased so far with no problems

Have fun

Capocheny
18-Aug-2006, 20:26
Out of curiosity... does this backpack have an internal frame to it?

I'm just about to look at a LowePro Super Trekker II with the intention of packing a Dorff 8x10 in it as well.

Once you have it set up... it'd be great if you could post a picture or two. :)

Thanks

Cheers

Lee Hamiel
18-Aug-2006, 20:30
There is not an internal frame

Capocheny
18-Aug-2006, 22:37
There is not an internal frame

Thanks Lee. :)

Cheers

Ben Hopson
18-Aug-2006, 23:58
Capocheny,

The Deardorff 8X10 fits into the lower compartment. I didn't show it, but there is a ground glass protector for the back and I place a folded BTZS
focus hood over the camera.

The top compartment holds a Pentax digital spot meter, anti-static brush, cable release, loupe one lens (for now)and where my home shop made lens board is resting there will soon be a Fuji 300mm C as soon as delivery will allow. I am hoping for Tuesday or Wednesday.

The back compartment holds three film holders in anti-static zip-lock bags.

One of the side pouches will hold my Lee filter system. The other side will hold a third lens.

I hope this helps.

Ben

Capocheny
19-Aug-2006, 00:12
Hi Ben,

That DOES look like a nice backpack... I hope it works out for you. I'm taking a peek at the large LowePro Super AW Trekker II tomorrow. I believe it has an internal frame to it, which is theoretically a bit sturdier. But, seeing as I've never used a backpack such as these... it's a learning experience.

So, now that all the camera gear fits into the bag... there's still the fun of lugging a large pod around with you. I suspect there won't be an easy way of getting around this issue. Mine is a Manfrotto 475 with a 400 or 405 head. Not the lightest thing in the world. I can feel my legs screaming at me already!!! :)

At any rate, thanks kindly for posting the images. Much appreciate it. :)

Cheers

Capocheny,

The Deardorff 8X10 fits into the lower compartment. I didn't show it, but there is a ground glass protector for the back and I place a folded BTZS focus hood over the camera.

The top compartment holds a Pentax digital spot meter, anti-static brush, cable release, loupe one lens (for now)and where my home shop made lens board is resting there will soon be a Fuji 300mm C as soon as delivery will allow. I am hoping for Tuesday or Wednesday.

The back compartment holds three film holders in anti-static zip-lock bags.

One of the side pouches will hold my Lee filter system. The other side will hold a third lens.

I hope this helps.

Ben

Lee Hamiel
24-Aug-2006, 16:42
H.D.C.

I also have for my largest tripod the 475 as well - can't imagine lugging it for a long distance.

I agree that if one is going to hike for any distance that a pack/frame combo is the way to go.

For a short hike you could lash a tripod to the f.64 pack but I have not done so.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Jim Rhoades
24-Aug-2006, 18:41
To each his own on these things. I've had the f/64 for three years with a 8x10 Deardorff, three lenses, holders etc. I do not use the side bags. I love this bag and it had some hard use in the Smokey mountains. I also have a Lowe-pro something. It's better made than the f/64 yet it sits empty in my basement. Why? I find it to heavy and busy with straps and stuff. Never should have bought the bag. I do like their Mini-Trekker. That's a great bag. Perfect for M/F.

Mike Boden
24-Aug-2006, 18:52
I have one of these bags and although it works, I feel that it could be greatly improved. I would love to have more internal frame support, specifically a couple of stays down the length of the spine that are adjustable.

Also, I think the belt sucks. In the past, I did a ton of backpacking, and the belt is key. That's where the majority of the load is supposed to sit. So I'd like something a little more rigid and padded at the same time.

Next, it would be nice if the position of the shoulder straps where they are attached to the pack could be adjusted depending on the size of the person....higher for a long torso and lower for a short torso.

The other thing I don't like about it is that the way the shoulder straps connect to the belt is ass-backwards; it's completely opposite of every other backpack I've used. This makes minor adjustments while on the go somewhat akward.

But...with that all said, I still use it because until something else for an 8x10 comes out that's better, or I design one myself, this is what I've got. I just hate going on long treks with it, so I tend to stay close to the vehicle when I'm shooting 8x10.

Brian Ellis
24-Aug-2006, 18:56
I think this has been said before but FWIW, I've had the same experience as Jim on both counts. I've used an F64 pack for many years, first for 4x5 then for 8x10 Deardorffs. It's an excellent pack for hikes no longer than a day. For longer hikes you might need something more adapted to hiking than to photograpy. I also own a LowePro Super Trekker something or other and I use it just like Jim uses his (well not exactly, his is in the basement, mine's in the garage) for the same reason (too heavy).

Ben Hopson
24-Aug-2006, 20:18
Like Jim and Brian I also have a Super Trekker. I ended up putting a seldom used digital slr kit in it because I also found it to be very heavy. I did use it last weekend to transport gear to shoot a wedding. For me the f,64 is more comfortable than the LowePro or the Tenba. I will continue to use the Tenba for my 4x5.

Capocheny
24-Aug-2006, 21:13
H.D.C.

I also have for my largest tripod the 475 as well - can't imagine lugging it for a long distance.

I agree that if one is going to hike for any distance that a pack/frame combo is the way to go.

For a short hike you could lash a tripod to the f.64 pack but I have not done so.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Hi Lee,

I agree with you about lugging that 475 around... it's a heavy beast! Lugging it around for a long period of time would certainly earn you the name, "Mr. Atlas! :)" So, I've been looking at one of the Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripods but, at CDN$900, it's a tough pill to swallow. But, I will probably go this route sooner rather than later. The 475 would, as a consequence, either be sold off or used strictly indoors.

I'm going to give the LowePro Super Trekker II a try and see what it feels like to hike around with. It's a gorgeous bag but, as Brian states, it's pretty heavy. My wife just shook her head when she saw it on my back. She's peered into her crystal ball and is predicting back problems in the future if I lug it around filled with gear for very long! [I'm 5'7" and 170 lbs. So, the bag is about the same length (if not a tad bit longer) than my upper body length.]

I'm not sure that there's going to be any easy/simple way of lugging an 8x10 Dorff system around. Of course, there are those packs with rollers... has anyone used one of those with their gear? Or, a modified golf cart with the big wheels? I do realize that one wouldn't go hiking too, too far with this arrangement though.

Alternatively... limit myself to 5x7 or 4x5.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :)

All your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Cheers

Scott Davis
25-Aug-2006, 07:10
I've been using a collapsible cooler chest for my 8x10 camera and eight film holders, a smaller cooler lunch tote for my lenses, and a wheeled luggage cart. Mostly for day excursions not more than a half mile from the car over level ground, as the cart's wheels are not particularly large and have no suspension at all. I did so want to take the 8x10 with me to Argentina, but I can't justify the weight and the size of everything when I'm only going for a two week trip. I'm travelling with a 5x7 instead, which will make life much easier.

Jack Flesher
25-Aug-2006, 08:29
I use both the large and XL f64's and like them both a lot. The main advantage of the f64's is their flexibility and uber-light weight relative to comparable capacity photo packs. However that low weight is also their Achilles heel in that they are not very rigid when fully loaded nor are the straps overly padded for longer hikes.

So my solution is a bit unusual, but works extremely well: I put the f64 inside a Dana Designs "real" backpack when I need to go longer than just the day. The Dana's I use are both top loader with hatch-back flaps (Swiftcurrent and Stillwater), so they are convenient to use for photography. (I leave the f64 unzipped inside the Dana since closing the Dana closes the f64.) Surprisingly, the total weight of the Dana and the f64 is under 10 pounds which is less than a Lowepro Super Trekker -- and I have enough room left over for food, water, jacket, pad and bag for an overnight.

Here are a few shots to show the set-up. The first is the bag-in-a-bag showing that access is not overly restricted with the hatch-back:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/f64_inside_Dana.jpg

The Dana's have an additional "beavertail" load flap that is perfect for a tripod ++ (That's a Gitzo 1325 with center column and Arca head mounted). Here it is loaded and ready to go:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Dana_loaded.jpg

One big advantage to the Dana packs is you can buy different size harnesses and waist belts. Coupled with their wide range of adjustability you can dial them in to suit most any body shape. I am 6'-6" tall (almost 2 meters) and weigh in at 250 pounds (about 113 Kilos) and have a longer than normal torso which is usually a big problem with internal frame packs -- yet this pack fits me perfectly!

Cheers,

Ben Hopson
25-Aug-2006, 09:40
Jack,

That looks like an excellent solution for longer hikes.

Capocheny
25-Aug-2006, 10:27
Jack,

That looks like an excellent solution for longer hikes.

I agree... that does look like a good solution for carrying the pod.

Thanks Jack. :)

Cheers

mark1958a
27-Aug-2006, 17:37
I also like the F64. I have used it in Alaska and hiking in Colorado. I use the top side bag for water bottles during hiking

Vick Ko
29-Aug-2006, 04:30
Hello

Can someone provide the home web site for f.64?

On BHVideo, it looks like only "Large" and "Extra Large" are available. Is that so? I'm only 5'9", and those sizes seem larger than I'd like.

Thanks
Vick

Amund BLix Aaeng
29-Aug-2006, 06:16
Hello

On BHVideo, it looks like only "Large" and "Extra Large" are available. Is that so? I'm only 5'9", and those sizes seem larger than I'd like.

Thanks
Vick

I`m only 5´6" and use the Extra Large one without any problems.

Jack Flesher
29-Aug-2006, 07:01
Hello

Thanks
Vick

Vick: That's a Large f64 shown inside my "normal" internal frame backpack above. It's only about 6" taller than a day pack.

Cheers,