PDA

View Full Version : Orvis bags on sale

Ted Harris
14-Aug-2006, 12:46
I just got a sale email from Orvis and both the Safe Passage Kit Bag (sale price 79) and the Safe Passage Reel and Gear Bag (sale price 41+) that Kerry and I and many others like so well are currently on sale.

dyuhas
14-Aug-2006, 15:34
What's to like about the bag? I'm looking for something lighter than my Lowe-Pro Nature Trekker.

David Karp
14-Aug-2006, 16:05
I have the older version of the reel and gear bag. It is great for holding LF lenses. However, I found an even better use for mine. It holds my Mamiya 650 Pro with 80mm lens and power drive, 35mm, 150mm, 55-110mm zoom, 105-210mm zoom, 2x teleconverter, an extra back, my filters, a right angle finder, and misc. accessories. This all drops into my Kelty Redwing, and is a perfect way to backpack when I don't want to, or can't, use my 4x5.

Jim Rhoades
14-Aug-2006, 18:38
Dyuhas, If your looking for a lighter back pack bag, there's nothing to like. It's a shoulder bag. If you want a lightweight shoulder bag that can carry a 5x7 Deardorff and all the extras the kit bag is a very good deal. Ted posted a notice a year ago about a sale on the older none waterproof kit bag. I bought one for, I think $49. I liked it so much I sent him a private e-mail thanking him for the information and detailing some modifications I made. The kit bag as a camera bag and the reel bag as a lens bag or storage is a top value. Check it out. And Ted, thanks again.

Lee Hamiel
14-Aug-2006, 18:42
Thanks for the heads up Ted

Much appreciated

Hopefully there are still some available

PViapiano
14-Aug-2006, 23:07
Is the reel and gear bag big enough for a 4x5, 2 lenses and some film holders? Or is it just good as a lens bag?

That wasn't clear in the article in View Camera mag...

Ted Harris
15-Aug-2006, 05:17
PV, depends on the 4x5. For a moe compact clamshell, such as my Toyo AII sure. For one with a somewaht larger footprint, probably not. If I get a chance I will load one up and take asnap later this AM and post same.

Ted Harris
15-Aug-2006, 05:19
Jim and Lee, thanks for the kind comments and continuing support. BTW, I expect yet another followup article, perhaps in six months to take a look at yet another batch of bags from folks that got left out of the last article and have sent me notes since. Clearwater and Fishpond for starters.

matthew blais
15-Aug-2006, 07:01
I have not ordered this but I think I will. Looks to be suited for 8x10 cam, and accessories.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/organizers/vehicle_organizers/42021.aspx?feature=Link_13?feature=Link_13

Lee Hamiel
15-Aug-2006, 13:13
Ted:

I was able to get the reel case & the other larger bag was still available but I passed as I do not need it for now.

I also ended up with about 5 shirts & a wallet to boot:)

When I used to live in upstate NY I used to go to the Orvis in Manchester, VT - the home location & look for various items - they have a lot of nice merchandise now.

Has me wanting to get back into fishing again:)

I am a bit of a bag hound as over the years I have had numerous bags & the joke around the house is that on Saturday morning I am known to be ripping velcro apart to slightly tweak my bags for better use - almost every week - so when you hear velcro ripping apart you know it's saturday ...

Every time I go out to shoot I end up making mental notes in order to make things more efficient next time out.

Feel free to hit me up for input for your next series as I have owned most bags available & also have either sold them or my sons have them now.

I almost feel like it would be a good regular ongoing feature in the magazine to profile various bags/wraps/etc. - there is a website that profiles smaller format user's bags & they submit images of what they have crammed into their bags & it's helpful to see real world images as to what will fit as I feel most makers are way behind in truly showing how their bags are best used. Perhaps you could enlist LF users to submit images of their bags/backpacks/etc. & how they make it work for them.

Regards