PDA

View Full Version : Web software.

Shen45
7-Aug-2006, 20:58
I have just seen a very well thought out solution to the dilema on line photographers face when they want to market their work.

Today on APUG this very professional software was posted. It is definately aimed at serious photographers indeed or those that want a very serious website.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30501

This link here will allow you to see the features of the program.

http://www.kjsphotography.com/products/kcommerce/index.php

I contacted the guy that wrote the software and he is a very dedicated photographer who has written this to solve a marketing black hole for small and large volume photographers.

To market my photography to the world from Australia, this looks like it will provide the solution I need. At this stage I don't have a large number of images but a professional shop front is a massive help, it also has a shopping cart as well.

Even if I had the ability to write something like this [which I don't] my time is far more valuable doing real work or actual photography. Who am I kidding?? :) I couldn't begin to write anything like this.

The author posts both on APUG and here. Well done Kevin -- a most excellent solution.

Steve

JW Dewdney
8-Aug-2006, 00:43
It's great that it's being made available to people. My only problem with these 'canned templates' is that all the sites look and function the same. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you. I'd rather just take something off the web that suited myself better and swap out the info in the same way.

Shen45
9-Aug-2006, 02:55
This is not a template software/canned website as it has multiple features for tracking photos, creating galleries and numerous aspects of image management. Have a look at the on line "walk-through" - I was very surprised at the enormous power of the software.

JW Dewdney
9-Aug-2006, 03:58
Are you plugging your own software?

Jorge Gasteazoro
9-Aug-2006, 06:39
Are you plugging your own software?
No he is not, he is talking about he software developed by Kevin Saitta. I have talked to Kevin and gotten a run down of the program and anybody who is trying to make a living or at least recoup costs by selling prints should look at this program, it has many powerful features that are absent in any other photography/art management software.

One thing has to be said, it is not only a web design program, in fact that is one of the least useful features. For example, if you sell a print it will keep the number of prints you have sold for that specific shot, it will keep a database of the people who have bought your prints so that you can send them a news letter. If you choose to sell on e bay, it will give you the html code so that you can desing your own e bay page, it will keep track of the e bay auctions you have, who have you sold to and their e mail so that you again can send them a news letter, and of course will keep track of the number of prints you have made of that particular shot.

The program has many, many more features which at the moment I dont recall but if you like a run down of what it can do take a look at:

http://www.kjsphotography.com/products/kcommerce/index.php

I was very impressed with what Kevin has done, and decided to buy the program. If one takes into account what one would pay to have a web site designed, another data base prgram to keep track of the prints/sales and customers, and the cheap customer support Kevin is offering, it is a great deal!

Kirk Gittings
9-Aug-2006, 07:18
Actually in the larger scheme of things, that is very reasonably priced software for what you get. I wish I had known about it a year ago before I invested so heavily in what I have.

Gordon Moat
9-Aug-2006, 10:46
On PDN Forums, the one mentioned most often is LiveBooks at http://www.livebooks.com

Might be worth comparing, though I think what Kevin is offering might be of more interest to low volume fine art photographers. I agree with Kirk, in that I think the price structure Kevin offers is very reasonable.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio

JW Dewdney
9-Aug-2006, 13:56
Sounds interesting - I'll look more closely at it.