PDA

View Full Version : Wher to process 4X5 sheet film in BC.

Richard Mcvey
1-Aug-2006, 20:46
Good afternoon,
I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
I have a 4x5 speed graphic, that I have just ordered some Fuji Quick load film for. I have never shot 4x5 and am wondering if any one knows if there is a web site that would tell me how to use the quick load system. It may be painfully obvious when it gets here but I have searched everywhere for instructions and found none.
I would also like to know where I can send the film to to get it processed once exposed. What normally happens do I send away a couple of sheets and get back a contact sheet and then send back the negative with enlargement and cropping instructions if required?

Anyones input, into these related subjects, would be appreciatd as I hope to have my film this weekend and would like to get learning.

roteague
1-Aug-2006, 21:15
Once you get your box of film, open it up and you will see the instructions enclosed.

Capocheny
1-Aug-2006, 21:27
Good afternoon,
I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
I have a 4x5 speed graphic, that I have just ordered some Fuji Quick load film for. I have never shot 4x5 and am wondering if any one knows if there is a web site that would tell me how to use the quick load system. It may be painfully obvious when it gets here but I have searched everywhere for instructions and found none.
I would also like to know where I can send the film to to get it processed once exposed. What normally happens do I send away a couple of sheets and get back a contact sheet and then send back the negative with enlargement and cropping instructions if required?

Anyones input, into these related subjects, would be appreciatd as I hope to have my film this weekend and would like to get learning.

Richard,

What you'll need for the Fuji Quickload film system is either a Fuji Quickload film holder or a Polaroid 545 or 545i holder. This is what slides into the camera and the Quickload film slides into the Polaroid holder. I seem to recall that there were instructions somewhere that will describe the process but can't find it at the moment. Perhaps, if someone else here knows...

And, no, it's not painfully obvious how to use the Fuji Quickload system... using the system also has its challenges as many of us have found! :)

Have you thought about using standard 4x5 film holders instead of the Fuji Quickload system. It's easy to use and you can buy tons of film holders for next to nothing these days. Here's a website that describes how to load standard film holders:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

Lens & Shutter has their own lab (Custom Color) located in Vancouver. The lab is well maintained and they do have high standards for quality control. They have a store over in your neck of the woods.

Alternatively, you can send films in to G. King Photo or The Lab. There's also ABC Photocolor. But, if I were in your shoes... I'd use Lens & Shutter.

Yup... you've got it right in terms of the processing process. Send the films in for processing (unless you want to do your own processing), get them back, review and go from there.

I would suggest that you do some reading on using a 4x5 and all that's involved in producing a picture. Here are some great books to read:

1. Using the View Camera - Jim Stone

2. The View Camera - Steve Simmons

3. Large Format Landscape Photography - Jack Dykinga

Also, do some reading here on this website... there are some great people here who are ready and willing to give you all the help you need.

Lastly, you might want to think about taking a workshop on LF photography.

Good luck

Cheers

Brian Ellis
1-Aug-2006, 21:38
You'll need the Quickload holder in addition to the film. Once you have the holder and the film you'll have the instructions.

I don't know anything about labs in BC but normally you'd just send all the envelopes (one sheet of film per envelope) to a lab, the lab would process them and give you a contact sheet. From there you'd decide which you wanted printed so you'd send those sheets of film back to the lab and eventually get back your prints. That assumes you don't plan to do anything yourself other than make the photographs. A less expensive, and IMHO better, way would be to just have the lab process the film, then take it from there yourself by scanning the film and making contact sheets and prints yourself in Photoshop.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a local lab, which makes it much easier to give cropping and other instructions. I haven't used a lab for many years and when I did I used a local lab so I don't know how this is done by mail, I'm sure the labs have forms or other ways of receiving printing instructions but someone who deals with labs by mail could tell you better than I can.

Chet Kwapisinski
1-Aug-2006, 21:53
Where on the Island do you live? In Nanaimo there is someone that will develop most formats :
Westwind Photographic Services
2213 Northfield Road
Nanaimo, BC
V9S 3C3
Canada
(250) 758-9448

Also in Victoria there are a couple of places.

Good luck

Cheers

Richard Mcvey
2-Aug-2006, 06:34
Thanks for all of the replies. I am not sure how, or if I am supposed, to respond to all of your posts or not so I will just let every one know that Yes, I do have the holder coming with my order, I live in Crofton, and I thank you all for you kind advice. I will look into the books mentioned and I will be a regular visitor to this site.

Thanks again everyone!