PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Spotmeter & contact with Metered Light

David Hempenstall
1-Aug-2006, 10:56
Hi everyone,

I'm just trying to get through to the guys at Metered Light.

I've smashed my old meter and am trying to replace it with their small meter.

I know it is at times hard to get in touch with them, just wanting to check:

1. if they're still in business?
2. If anyone here has 'personal' contact with either of the two gentlemen and can some how help me get through ASAP? I think I remember Eric W knows them....

The website seems to have gone down again and the phone is always going to the voicemail.

Thanks very much.

D.

Frank Petronio
1-Aug-2006, 11:58
You know who currently makes and supports the best spot meters these days? Nikon and Canon -- they put them in their DSLRs ;-)

Ben Crane
1-Aug-2006, 12:40
I bought a pocket spot in November of 2005 and I really love it. I much prefer it to using a heavy, $5000 DSLR that will be obsolete in 5 years as a meter. I don't know what happened to the website or to Karl but I do have his email and postal address. If you email me privately I'll send it to you.

George Stewart
1-Aug-2006, 12:52
I purchased one of their meters and really like ti. It did take quite a while (months) to actually get one, and communications/web site was a hassle. You may wish to make alternate arangements until/if you come back up.

Bob McCarthy
1-Aug-2006, 13:03
You know who currently makes and supports the best spot meters these days? Nikon and Canon -- they put them in their DSLRs ;-)

Frank,

I should note that the meter in a digital camera is designed to lie. The digital cameras are adjusted to keep from blowing out highlights and in addition the digital ISO's don't agree with film iso's. Histograms are nice though. An adjustment of about a half stop or so will compensate.

Now , I do use the meter in my F5 very successfully as its adjusted for film.

bob

Jeffrey Sipress
1-Aug-2006, 15:55
I like my pocket spot, but miss the 1 degree circle of my Pentax.

How can a meter be 'adjusted for film'? It reads tonality values in a scene. Either it does that accurately or not. Any adjustments for film, filters or creativity are your own decisions at the time.

David Hempenstall
2-Aug-2006, 01:57
Thanks everyone,

I'll keep on trying.

Frank, step away from the keyboard....

D.

Matus Kalisky
2-Aug-2006, 02:17
Frank,

I should note that the meter in a digital camera is designed to lie. The digital cameras are adjusted to keep from blowing out highlights and in addition the digital ISO's don't agree with film iso's. Histograms are nice though. An adjustment of about a half stop or so will compensate.

Now , I do use the meter in my F5 very successfully as its adjusted for film.

bob

Hmm, could this be the reason why I tend to get (whithin my limited statistics) ~ 1/2 stop underexposed images - I use my Minolta D7 to meter ? I have to check it out.

MAtus..

David Hempenstall
3-Aug-2006, 09:28
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd drop back in to say that Karl from metered light contacted me.

They have been away on a trip, so there was a delay.

All is good!!!

D.

Steve Barber
3-Aug-2006, 10:15
So, would you mind sharing how they can be contacted?

David Hempenstall
4-Aug-2006, 07:55
meteredlight@yahoo.com

415.452.9923 (California phone number)

D.