PDA

View Full Version : smilies

robc
25-Jul-2006, 16:16
why is it that some peoples smilies don't display as smilies? I see the following three characters on the end of a quite a few posts, which I think is a non displayable smilie:

:-)

I'm using windows 2K

BrianShaw
25-Jul-2006, 17:22
I don't know. I can't display smilies (or frownies) either :-(

chris jordan
25-Jul-2006, 17:27
I don't even try to display smilies because I'm a butthole. ( . )

Brian Vuillemenot
25-Jul-2006, 17:29
If you do a smilie with a colon and right parenthesis, like this :), it displays as a smilie. If you add a dash, like this :-), it doesn't.

robc
25-Jul-2006, 17:37
If you do a smilie with a colon and right parenthesis, like this :), it displays as a smilie. If you add a dash, like this :-), it doesn't.

I guess people are typing it in instead of selecting from the drop down list and its not one of the recognised ones. no matter...:confused:

p.s. you can tell I'm bored cos I'm worried about smilies

Capocheny
25-Jul-2006, 17:40
I guess people are typing it in instead of selecting from the drop down list and its not one of the recognised ones. no matter...

Hi Rob,

You don't need to select it from the drop down list...

Just type a ":" with a ")" and it just shows up!

:) :) :)

Cheers

chris jordan
25-Jul-2006, 17:42
:)

Did it work?

Capocheny
25-Jul-2006, 17:59
:)

Did it work?

Hi Chris,

Yup! Well done! :)

Cheers

Brian Ellis
25-Jul-2006, 20:28
"I see the following three characters on the end of a quite a few posts, which I think is a non displayable smilie:

:-)"

I type it in like that, I never think to use the programmed one.

Marko
25-Jul-2006, 22:18
"I see the following three characters on the end of a quite a few posts, which I think is a non displayable smilie:

:-)"

I type it in like that, I never think to use the programmed one.

People were typing smilies long before computers were able to display them graphically and nobody had a problem with that. In fact, back in the day, people would often come up with personal variations - mine used to be #;@D, a "clown smiley" which I used when I felt like, well, clowning around.

The current variety of graphical instant-smilies were invented by America OnLine, I believe. They go along well with "web-surfers", a category of users they were invented for to help them understand the concept of written humour more readily.

;->

I prefer to type them, although I would occassionally use some of the instant-smileys if I suspect some of the afore mentioned "web surfers" might be on the receiving end...

Tom Westbrook
26-Jul-2006, 03:49
The smile "engine" has to be programmed to convert specific character sequences into a graphical smilie. At the bottom of the page when looking at thread posts there is a section called "Posting Rules" and there is a link there that will show you the active smilie sequences and what they get converted to. Here's the link http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies

BrianShaw
26-Jul-2006, 10:32
OMG... a drop-down with smilies; I never noticed. :o