PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid film for beginner

Scott Knowles
24-Jul-2006, 10:12
I've read a number of posts and Web sites using Polaroid film, and noticed at a local shop boxes of some on sale (forgot the number). Looking at Polaroid's Web site for 4x5 film, I noticed there is a good variety, and I'm reviewing them. My question is, which Polaroid film would you recommend for a beginner to start with? Most of my initial photography will be nature and landscape (towns, archiecture, etc.) and a few portraits to learn the camera, process, etc. (I have a checklist of sites to play and learn). I have the same film in 35mm format to also take my 35mm camera to compare (personal), which are Provia in color and T-Max in b&w, adding other Fuji and Ilford films later. Thanks.

rkarlsba
24-Jul-2006, 10:38
I'd say use type 54 for reference copies. It's easy to work with and doesn't require any much work. It also has a low and nice contrast that I really like for portraits and so on.

roy

Gordon Moat
24-Jul-2006, 11:53
If you don't mind a slightly cropped image, you can go for pack films to use in a type 405 back. Fuji also make pack films for those, and larger pack films for their own holder.

If you are just checking exposure, the B/W pack films are okay to use. If you want to check colour, then choose one of the colour films. It helps to stay close to the ISO of the transparency or negative films you want to use. Keep in mind that reciprocity response on long exposures can often be different than film response; which is true of both Polaroid and Fuji instant films.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Scott Knowles
24-Jul-2006, 19:37
Thanks for the responses, here and e-mail. All are appreciated. I'll be going to the store soon and look at the available Polaroid films (they have a good stock) and film holder.

Laszlo
24-Jul-2006, 20:39
55 P/N is also great, although expensive. It contains both a film and paper, and you get both from each exposure. Their sensitivity differs by 1/3 stop, so you need to decide if you wish to expose for the film (ISO 32) or for the paper (ISO 50). I generally expose for the film, and the paper comes out all right.