PDA

View Full Version : Call me Ishmael

ishmael
23-Jul-2006, 00:16
I am thirteen years old and I now live in Thuringia in Germany. I have been photographing since I have been 6 years old. I started whith a little Porst pocket camera, then used an Olympus OM-T1 and a Pentacon Six. Since 2005, I photograph with a Linhof Technika III. I especially like all the movements and the resulution of the film format. Since my birthday, I can scan the negatives with an Epson 4990 scanner. Soon, I will be able to post my pictures on a website.
I am glad to have found this forum.

Greetings, Carl

Amund BLix Aaeng
23-Jul-2006, 01:54
Thirteen years old and a large format user! Thats`s impressive! Welcome Ishmael.

medform-norm
23-Jul-2006, 02:17
Herzlich wilkommen Carl,
it's not only amazing you are working with a Tech III at age 13, it's also amazing you have the parents to support you in this. I'm sure my dad would not have gotten me a Tech III for my birthday. But what also suprised me is a 13 yo quoting the first lines of Moby Dick....in English. Don't tell us you've read that at your age. The technical whalehunting language of the period is hard enough for a grown up, let alone someone your age. I stranded halfway through the book, got completely entangled in the description of ships, tools, implements, ropes, sails, nets etc. Am still hoping to finish it one day, though.

Capocheny
23-Jul-2006, 03:16
Hello Ishmael,

Welcome to the club...

Do you realize you're the second person to join this forum from Thuringia in the past couple of days? It's nice to see that large format photography is thriving in Germany! :)

Anyway, welcome! :)

Cheers

medform-norm
23-Jul-2006, 03:26
Hello Ishmael,

Welcome to the club...

Do you realize you're the second person to join this forum from Thuringia in the past couple of days? It's nice to see that large format photography is thriving in Germany! :)

Anyway, welcome! :)

Cheers

H.D.C, don't tell me it has escaped your notice 'Ishmael' is the son of the other Thuringian.

tim atherton
23-Jul-2006, 07:59
linked thread to here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18768

darr
23-Jul-2006, 08:20
Guten Tag Carl!

Your story is an interesting one. I spent two years teaching high school (11 & 12 grade in US) geometry and pre-calculus (and photo electives) and I also have a teenage son and none of my experiences with the youth has spawned a large format shooter! Please update us when your website has some photos as I would love to look at your perspective. I think it is wonderful that your folks have encouraged you to express yourself photographically and with the large format process. Welcome to the LF Community.

PS: I am a female so do excuse any motherly type of stuff I may give as I cannot help it!

ishmael
23-Jul-2006, 08:25
Herzlich wilkommen Carl,
it's not only amazing you are working with a Tech III at age 13, it's also amazing you have the parents to support you in this. I'm sure my dad would not have gotten me a Tech III for my birthday. But what also suprised me is a 13 yo quoting the first lines of Moby Dick....in English. Don't tell us you've read that at your age. The technical whalehunting language of the period is hard enough for a grown up, let alone someone your age. I stranded halfway through the book, got completely entangled in the description of ships, tools, implements, ropes, sails, nets etc. Am still hoping to finish it one day, though.

chris jordan
23-Jul-2006, 09:22
Ishmael, welcome to our living room. There are always interesting and informative discussions going on here, and we are glad to have you join us.

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

Capocheny
23-Jul-2006, 12:26
H.D.C, don't tell me it has escaped your notice 'Ishmael' is the son of the other Thuringian.

Hello Norm,

Ha! Yes, it did... but then, it WAS posted at 3:00 in the morning! :)

Thanks Tim... :)

I've gotta get MORE sleep!

Cheers

Brian Ellis
23-Jul-2006, 17:57
Welcome to the group Ishmael. When your dad joined and mentioned that his son used a Linhof Technika I posted a message expressing hope that you'd join. I'm glad you have.

Ron Marshall
23-Jul-2006, 20:07
Welcome Ishmael, you are getting started in photography at a good point in your life. I got my first camera when I was your age, a Pentax 35mm, but it took me many years before I experienced the fun and excitement of large format.

By the way, you have the same scanner that I do.

ishmael
23-Jul-2006, 20:56
Welcome to the group Ishmael. When your dad joined and mentioned that his son used a Linhof Technika I posted a message expressing hope that you'd join. I'm glad you have.

My father told me that you were asking him for me to come to the forum. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Carl

Emil Ems
24-Jul-2006, 09:08
Ishmael,

Welcome to the club of Technika III users. I hope you will have great fun using it. I bought my own version back in 1991 and have not looked back. Used it during the first 10 years with its original non-Graflok back. Put in a Graflok back thereafter (easily done).

You will enjoy using that camera hand held. I would suggest buying a 6.8 90 mm Angulon for that purpose (cheap lense!!!). Try also to find a Linhof viewer of the same vintage for hand held shooting. Well worth the price (the oldest are the best and cheapest).

Once you have put in a Graflok back I would suggest you get hold of (i) a Horseman 6x12 back and (ii) a Grafmatic holder (holds 6 sheets of 4x5 film for quick shooting). But take your time and buy things as you can afford (birthday and Xmas gifts to be bought on ebay).

Feel free to e-mail me anytime on pecularities of that camera. I love it and have taken many excellent pictures with it.

Enjoy the camera!!!!

Emil

Michael Daily
26-Jul-2006, 18:48
Schoene Gruesse, Ishmael.
I am glad that you have joined us. The observations that you have on the LF workings will be of interest to us all. Most of us are much older and the experiences that you have can give us a new perspective on the field. Wilkommen und viel Erfolg...
Michael