PDA

View Full Version : Super Trekker Fit a Canham 8x20?

Michael Kadillak
21-Jul-2006, 21:17
After recently taking delivery of a Canham 8x20 back to compliment my 8x10 wooden camera, I am looking for a pack that will allow me to carry the 8x20 into the field. I know that a Canham 7x17 will fit in the Super Trekker but I wanted to know if it will accept the 8x20 before I consider acquiring one.

Any other alternatives I should consider? I prefer a front zipper opening and solid shoulder straps. A hip belt is another nice feature.

My thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Wayne Crider
22-Jul-2006, 07:12
What are the dimensions of the 8x20? I have a Super Trekker.

Michael Kadillak
22-Jul-2006, 07:41
What are the dimensions of the 8x20? I have a Super Trekker.

My Canham 8x20 measures 25 to 26" long, 14" wide and about 7" deep.

Don Hutton
22-Jul-2006, 08:04
Michael

I think it will fit (that other 8x20 you had fits in my Super Trekker). The real issue is that it pretty much fills it up. There are external pouches down each side which can be used for holding a whole bunch of lenses. There is also an accessory pack which you can strap onto the Super Trekker (I think it is supplied with the Super Trekker) for other odds and end. The pack has a tripod holder, but I find it much easier to carry the tripod in one hand, holders (in a holder bag) on the other hand and pack on the back.

Ron Marshall
22-Jul-2006, 09:25
My Super-Trekker measures: 7 deep by 15 wide by 22-23 long.

Michael Kadillak
22-Jul-2006, 09:49
It appears that there may be another more "modern" version of the Super Trekker that is a big larger than previous models. I will probably have to call the factory and speak with a rep to find out. When I do I will post.

Cheers!

Don Hutton
22-Jul-2006, 09:55
Michael

The Korona measures 15X24X6 - it fits fine. As you loose width, you can squeeze in extra lengh, which is why I am fairly sure your Canham should fit. 7 inch depth is no problem.

Eric Biggerstaff
22-Jul-2006, 15:16
Michael,

You should check out the Lightware products ( I think www.lightware.com) as their pack may be a good fit for you. I recently went down to their office here in Denver to look at their products and was very impressed. In many ways I like their pack better than the Lowe products ( which I have owned several of). Also, since their manufacturing facility is here in Colorado they may be able to custom make you a pack - might be worth checking out.

Good luck.

Michael Kadillak
22-Jul-2006, 17:07
Michael,

You should check out the Lightware products ( I think www.lightware.com) as their pack may be a good fit for you. I recently went down to their office here in Denver to look at their products and was very impressed. In many ways I like their pack better than the Lowe products ( which I have owned several of). Also, since their manufacturing facility is here in Colorado they may be able to custom make you a pack - might be worth checking out.

Good luck.

Excellent suggestion Eric. I would be interested in doing a similar day trip to look at their equipment. I will check it out next week. My sincere thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

Michael Kadillak
3-Aug-2006, 17:42
Because it was clearly the less expensive alternative, I ended up acquiring a Super Trekker and it bearly fits but it does fit.

Nice pack and Midwest took care of me as they always do.

Cheers!

Eric James
3-Aug-2006, 17:52
Michael,

Were you able to determine if LowePro is revamping the SuperTrekker? That pack has not been available at BHPV or Adorama for some time. I'm hesitant to scrounge around for one if a new model is on the horizon. Thanks...

Michael Kadillak
4-Aug-2006, 07:41
Michael,

Were you able to determine if LowePro is revamping the SuperTrekker? That pack has not been available at BHPV or Adorama for some time. I'm hesitant to scrounge around for one if a new model is on the horizon. Thanks...

The internal measurements of the Supertrekker that I received from several previous owners of this back pack were about three to four inches smaller in length than the dimensions of the same model I received from Midwest Photo. Since it appeared that the Supertrekker pack that Midwest had in stock appeared to fit my camera, I decided to go for it. I intended to call Lowepro and secure specific product information about current and previous models of this pack, but since I achieved my objective I did not take the time to do so. My 8x20 Canham camera fits nicely in the pack when the internal compartments secured with velcro are simply taken out.

You may want to call Jim or Stu at Midwest. It sounded like they had more of these packs in stock.

Cheers!

Michael Kadillak
4-Aug-2006, 10:43
One more thing to add. The pack that I acquired is the:

Super Trekker AW II

Eric James
8-Aug-2006, 22:16
I see that the Super Trekker AWII is available again at BHFV - so maybe an updated version isn't forthcoming. Thanks for your help Michael.

Michael Kadillak
9-Aug-2006, 06:36
I see that the Super Trekker AWII is available again at BHFV - so maybe an updated version isn't forthcoming. Thanks for your help Michael.

I went to the BHFV web site and their AW II packs are $100 MORE than what I paid at Midwest and the packs looks identical to mine. That extra cost will buy a lot of film. Hope that helps.

Good Shooting!

jim kitchen
9-Aug-2006, 22:35
Dear Michael,

Check this out, when you have a moment...

http://www.vistek.ca/details/details.aspx?WebCode=212202&CategoryID=BagsCases

jim k

Eric James
9-Aug-2006, 22:59
That's about $60 US more than BHPV charges. Shipping appears to be a good deal cheaper - roughly $20 US compared to roughly $80 to me from B&H. All in all a wash, except that I've never heard of visek and I have the utmost confidence in BHPV.

Michael Kadillak
10-Aug-2006, 06:23
Jim at Midwest charged me $285 for the Super Trekker back pack and Fed Ex shipping was $20. Just a reference point. Great product after I have had time to use it with my camera.

Eric James
12-Aug-2006, 17:39
I just bit the bullet and bought one locally for ~ suggested retail. (Michael, I never called mpex to see if they still have them in stock, but their website doesn't show it - I figure I saved 70$ over the BHPV price plus shipping.) My initial impression is that it carries must better than expected. Thanks all!