PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Thuringia

phaedrus
21-Jul-2006, 10:38
Hi all!
I've been using my first 4x5 field camera for all of two weeks, I've already received good advice on these forums, it's about time I introduced myself. I'm a 42 year old ophthalmologist from Germany, live, work and photograph in Thuringia. That's a rather central state of Germany with lots of history (Bach, Luther, Goethe and Schiller left their marks here) and nature (the "Thüringer Wald" is a wooded range of middling mountains). My 13 year old son brought me into large format photography. When we were doing our photographic ramblings together, he was using a 50 years old Linhof Technika and I a Canon DSLR. Well, that one is sold and I got an Ebony with a Fujinon f/9.0 180 mm lens.
Here are some of my first results.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/forest_light
Feeling excited to be at the beginning of a new creative way.
Christoph

Steve H
21-Jul-2006, 10:40
Christoph,
Welcome ! Some very nice images you have there as well.

Ron Marshall
21-Jul-2006, 12:16
Welcome to LF. Wonderful images, much better than my first attempts.

Your son is lucky to start LF at such a young age.

Capocheny
21-Jul-2006, 13:28
Christoph,

Welcome to the club... you're onto a great start!

Nice images.

Cheers

Ralph Barker
21-Jul-2006, 15:42
Welcome to the forum, Christoph.

matthew blais
21-Jul-2006, 16:51
Welcome..and a fan of Robert Pirsig perhaps??
Matt

phaedrus
21-Jul-2006, 18:14
Tanks to all for the warm welcome and appreciative look at my photographs. Matthew, you hit the nail on the head!
Christoph

Brian Ellis
22-Jul-2006, 09:27
Could you convince your son to participate here? I'd certainly be very interested in anything a 13 year old boy who uses a Linhof Technika has to say. But with or without him, thanks for the introduction and good luck with your new camera.

Ole Tjugen
22-Jul-2006, 12:39
Christoph,

it looks as if we have similar interests...

http://www.bruraholo.no/bilder/skog-norm.jpg

phaedrus
22-Jul-2006, 13:27
Brian, I'll talk to him about it, I guess he won't need much encouragement. If he writes as much about photography as he talks about it, you're in for something.
Ole, a beautiful photo that I whish I had had the opportunity and skill to take. Very much my subject matter!
Christoph

darr
22-Jul-2006, 13:46
Welcome to the LF Forum, Christoph. Very interesting about your 13 year-old bringing you into LF. When my son was between 5-9, he would photograph his Lego builds with a Nikon Macro and Zoom lenses. Now that he is 18, his interests seem to be meteorology and girls, cars and girls, on-line gaming and girls, and did I say GIRLS?

Ted Harris
22-Jul-2006, 20:37
Welcome Christoph ... some nice images.

phaedrus
23-Jul-2006, 00:00
Brian and all,
My son has subscribed to the forums under the moniker of ishmael. There seems to be a literary streak running in the family ...

Clueless Winddancing
23-Jul-2006, 00:19
Anthropormorphism, humans seeing the magic around them, make human responses -art.

phaedrus
23-Jul-2006, 18:31
C.W.:
That's interesting, not clueless at all and sounds a lot like something a native american might say. I think we cannot see the world around us but with anthropomorphic eyes. It is hard enough to see it with someone else's eyes, but that last thing is essential for successful photography and the counterpart to it's egotistic subjectivity.
Christoph

mono
24-Jul-2006, 00:38
And welcome from Germany, too. My LF still wants to be used ;-) I think I will start with LF in October after my retirement as a doctor.
BTW I live in Bielefeld in NRW.

phaedrus
24-Jul-2006, 00:55
And welcome from Germany, too. My LF still wants to be used ;-) I think I will start with LF in October after my retirement as a doctor.
BTW I live in Bielefeld in NRW.
Well,
Thanks for the welcome, dear colleague and fellow photographer. We share a common fascination with the landscape of Scotland, as I can see from the impressive photos on your website.

Christoph

Michael Daily
26-Jul-2006, 18:41
Hallo, Christoph.
Very nice images--especially the glowing light. Where in Thueringen are you? I have friends in Bernburg (Saale) and Nienburg...
Michael

phaedrus
26-Jul-2006, 18:49
Hallo, Christoph.
Very nice images--especially the glowing light. Where in Thueringen are you? I have friends in Bernburg (Saale) and Nienburg...
Michael
Well, I live in Waltershausen, which is quite a bit more west than these towns. Very close to the "Thüringer Wald", though, where one can find this fascinating light. Thanks for appreciating my work.
Christoph