PDA

View Full Version : Medium size ball heads: RRS/Kirk/Markins

QT Luong
18-Jul-2006, 13:53
I have been using an Acratech for a couple of years. At the time the Acratech was released, it was quite unique in its support/weight ratio. However I am not that pleased with it, because of the limited tilt in one direction, the lack for real friction control, and the fact that it takes a lot of force to fully lock. On a number of occasions, I have had camera flops when I though (mistakenly) that the set-up was locked.

I have noticed that there are now at least 3 alternatives, the RRS 40, Kirk BH3, and Markins. From my research so far, here are the drawbacks I see for each:

- RRS: smaller ball diameter, pan and main knobs are on opposite sides (does that make it more difficult to operate with one hand ?)
- Kirk: heavier, not much of a progressive tension control
- Markins: some complaints of it becoming sticky in cold weather

Any experiences ? The ball head would be used both with a Canon series 1 and up to 400/5.6, and a Canham 5x7 on a Gitzo 1227. I also have a 1325 with the Arca. Price and original clamp are not a deciding factor.

PS: I noticed that Acratech came up with a new design that addresses limitations of their original head, but at that point I'd rather try something else

M Salhuana
18-Jul-2006, 14:00
QT,

I own the Markins M20 which I have on a Gitzo. I live in Arizona so I have not had it below 50 degrees fahrenheit. I have used this ball head with a Nikon D200 with 70-200 VR lens, Arca swiss 4x5 and and Arca Swiss 8x10 and have never had a problem with it. I am delighted with this ball head and it has performed as advertised in all situations I have put it in. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Miguel

Dave_B
18-Jul-2006, 14:01
I have been using a Markins ball head with a Gitzo 1257 for about 6 months. I am very happy with it. It has been a flawless piece of equipment-a real joy to use. However, I have not ever used it in very cold weather and so can't comment on its performance there.
Dave B.

tim atherton
18-Jul-2006, 14:07
I've been using the Markins M10 (I think) for about a year and so far it's done very well (and improves the things you mention over the Acratech). For a toyo 45A, Technikardan and Phillips 8x10

It only went out a few times in the cold weather - not really cold, probably only -10/15c. I didn't note any problems then (of course now it's been mentioned I'll give it a good cold weather try out this winter... mind you, the Arca B1 could get pretty stiff in cold weather too)

Jack Flesher
18-Jul-2006, 14:16
Two comments:

1) I had the same issues with the Acratech and bought the Kirk BH3. For a smaller, lightweight head it performs superbly. Good for up to and including DSLR or field 4x5.

2) However, if price is not a concern and you don't mind living with a bit more weight to get the ultimate tripod head, take a look at the Arca Cube. It is probably the single best acessory I have ever bought for positioning of my cameras. Excellent for up to and including 4x5 or field 5x7 cameras, but marginal IMO for 8x10.

My review with images: http://www.getdpi.com/cube.html

tim atherton
18-Jul-2006, 14:20
aka - "Arca-Borg"

QT Luong
18-Jul-2006, 14:34
-10/15C sounds plenty cold to me, but I am a Californian. The Cube is one of the most impressive pieces of gear I've seen, but probably a bit too much on the 1227, which is used so much for 35mm that I prefer a BH design :-)

davidb
18-Jul-2006, 15:55
I've used the Kirk BH-3 with a full Hasselblad kit and a Linhof 4x5. Never a problem. I recommend it without hesitation.

Bob Salomon
18-Jul-2006, 17:03
Look at a Novoflex ClassicBall 3.

QT Luong
18-Jul-2006, 17:36
The Novoflex is much closer in weight to the AS B1 that I have than to the medium ball head I am looking to replace.

Warren Clark
18-Jul-2006, 19:00
Hi QT,

I've been using the RRS BH 40 ball head and the larger than standard B2 Pro ll
clamp Arca pattern on my Gitzo 1227. I like this for a light back country rig-
for MF and with my Ebony 45S. Stable and easy to use. Also might consider
the RRS quick release clamp.

Warren Clark

Timothy So
19-Jul-2006, 07:57
I recently acquired a Markins M-20 and used it on a Gitzo 1257. Worked very smoothly for my Ebony 45S, and also the 80-200 zoom on a D50. The friction control and movement is silky smooth, and the locking is very rigid just with a twist of the fingers. Haven't used it in low temperature though, so can't comment on that. My only complaint is that at one time the tension control thumb screw locked up and I have to unscrewed it with a screwdriver. Thereafter it worked perfectly again.

Timothy So
19-Jul-2006, 09:31
I recently acquired a Markins M-20 and used it on a Gitzo 1257. Worked very smoothly for my Ebony 45S, and also the 80-200 zoom on a D50. The friction control and movement is silky smooth, and the locking is very rigid just with a twist of the fingers. Haven't used it in low temperature though, so can't comment on that. My only complaint is that at one time the tension control thumb screw locked up and I have to unscrewed it with a screwdriver. Thereafter it worked perfectly again.

I have to clarify that it is the torque limit dial ( "thumb screw" as it is called in other brands ) that was locked once, and NOT the main progressive friction control locking knob...

Andrew Ito
19-Jul-2006, 11:41
My vote is for the Markins M10. I bought one after using the Acratech for a few years and am quite pleased with the upgrade. As far as cold weather performance, I can't give any helpful info since I normally shoot in decent weather conditions.

Lee Hamiel
19-Jul-2006, 12:20
Another vote for the Kirk BH-3

Also consider the Kaiser line - have a medium & also had a large that I am/was very pleased with

My son has a Linhof (II?) that's very nice

I also use an Arca-Swiss B2 which is of course more than you are looking for from a weight & handling point of view but it is a real nice two-axis ballhead to work with

Thanks for the link & writeup Jack as I have always considered the Arca-Swiss Cube - it's actually smaller than I envisioned & I also have the Kirk focus rail ... got me thinking about selling the B2 now ... as well as a few other items in order to get one:)

Harley Goldman
19-Jul-2006, 15:49
I used to have the Kirk BH-3 and the Acratech. I now have the RRS BH-40 and BH-55. I much prefered the Acratech over the Kirk. I found the Kirk ball slipped a lot and I always had a heck of a time getting the pan screw tight enough to hold. The ballhead drove me nuts. The Acratech held like a champ, but it has a lot of flex in it. Not good with a fully extended 4x5. I have not used the BH-40 very much (bought it for backpacking and long hikes), but I just love the BH-55. It is an absolute pleasure to use. The times I have used the BH-40 I have been pleased with it. I find it superior to the Kirk or the Acratech. One guy's opinion.

naturephoto1
22-Jul-2006, 13:40
I've been using a Markins M20 (L) with a Kirk QR on a Gitzo 1257LVL for my Linhof Technikardan 45S. I replaced the center column with a short Gitzo column and had a custom made PVC spacer made so that the hook and level can be attached. The spacer can be removed to take the tripod to the ground.

I like the set-up very much, but have not used the head in the cold weather yet.

Rich